What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loaded it up with tools and gear headed to Dahlonega for the week to do a home theater install at a customers cabin. If the weather cooperates, I plan on going to Beasley's Knob for a little wheeling. Let's see how bad Atlanta traffic is at 9am.

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Loaded it up with tools and gear headed to Dahlonega for the week to do a home theater install at a customers cabin. If the weather cooperates, I plan on going to Beasley's Knob for a little wheeling. Let's see how bad Atlanta traffic is at 9am.

Is there a time when Atlanta traffic isn't bad? :shrug:

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lmao, when Atlanta is closed. Like the year it snowed 3" and people abandoned their cars in the middle of the interstate.
You must be registered for see images

I'm used to driving in 6-12" of snow, so I get a kick watching these fools around here...unless there driving near me.

Hit horrible traffic this morning and was still about 50 miles from Atlanta. I decided I didn't feel like fighting Atlanta morning traffic while towing, and played it smart with a farm town detour. No traffic, 55mph speed limit, and nothing but fields, just how I like it. Made it to my destination almost an hour quicker than going the interstate, which would've been 6 hrs if factored in traffic. But I'm about 93% sure the banjos I've been hearing for the past 45 minutes are following me.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lmao, when Atlanta is closed. Like the year it snowed 3" and people abandoned their cars in the middle of the interstate.
You must be registered for see images

I'm used to driving in 6-12" of snow, so I get a kick watching these fools around here...unless there driving near me.

Hit horrible traffic this morning and was still about 50 miles from Atlanta. I decided I didn't feel like fighting Atlanta morning traffic while towing, and played it smart with a farm town detour. No traffic, 55mph speed limit, and nothing but fields, just how I like it. Made it to my destination almost an hour quicker than going the interstate, which would've been 6 hrs if factored in traffic. But I'm about 93% sure the banjos I've been hearing for the past 45 minutes are following me.

Man that is insane! As a Canadian I cannot imagine what they would do if they got the snow we do for most the year. Sad thing about me owning a 4WD Truck and Jeep is my boss expects me to be at work haha. I have had co-workers go out for lunch and call me because they are out stuck is snow and need me to come yank em out.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man that is insane! As a Canadian I cannot imagine what they would do if they got the snow we do for most the year. Sad thing about me owning a 4WD Truck and Jeep is my boss expects me to be at work haha. I have had co-workers go out for lunch and call me because they are out stuck is snow and need me to come yank em out.

But the upside of snow is double pay when the state shuts down! Bring the snow!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Pulled most of the EGR system off my CRD.
On the hunt for the wayward bolt. Don't need it; Just don't want it fully involved where it doesn't belong.

Schools closed in Fairbanks about a month ago because too many school busses were off-roading.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

But it's always amusing to see the "driven on snow all my life" damn yankees who just can't understand HOW they got in the ditch when we get 1/32" of near clear ice. :gr_grin:

Bob

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But it's always amusing to see the "driven on snow all my life" damn yankees who just can't understand HOW they got in the ditch when we get 1/32" of near clear ice. :gr_grin:

Bob

I personally enjoy the "I have 4WD" guys! Can't keep track of how many fancy lifted trucks I pass as they are on their side in a ditch.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My senior (delayed) year in college, I had to drive back down to MD from CT in a snowstorm.

I lost count at the number of a$$holes with 4x4s in the ditches and guardrails at 20 - early in Jersey. I was driving my '84 Honda Accord hatchback and never lost control. My passenger was from VT and we couldn't believe the stupidity. I didn't have snow tires on the Accord, nor did I have M + S tires. Just regular all-seasons.

Slam brakes? In the ditch.
Change lanes? In the ditch.
Twitch? In the ditch.
Fly past us? At most, 1 mile ahead, in the ditch.

All I can say is, people are stupid. That wasn't my favorite drive ever, but I never left the roadway.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My senior (delayed) year in college, I had to drive back down to MD from CT in a snowstorm.

I lost count at the number of a$$holes with 4x4s in the ditches and guardrails at 20 - early in Jersey. I was driving my '84 Honda Accord hatchback and never lost control. My passenger was from VT and we couldn't believe the stupidity. I didn't have snow tires on the Accord, nor did I have M + S tires. Just regular all-seasons.

Slam brakes? In the ditch.
Change lanes? In the ditch.
Twitch? In the ditch.
Fly past us? At most, 1 mile ahead, in the ditch.

All I can say is, people are stupid. That wasn't my favorite drive ever, but I never left the roadway.

I remember one winter was really bad and I had to go up a steep hill in my old 2WD pickup. Bald tires, No weight in the box or anything and the hill was full of 4WD's stuck everywhere revving and spinning. I slowly crawled up the hill right passed them all and had no issues.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Running down the Interstate last winter, snows blowing, road is covered , I could goose mine and even with the Duratracs could break them loose if I tried. I see this lifted TJ coming up pretty fast, I was running about 50-55 along with everyone else. He pulls up alongside, slows to my speed, pulls ahead, backs off, gives me the thumbs down and takes off.
As we start down a long grade with a curve to the left ahead along with crossing two bridges, I'm thinking here we go.
Yes he hit the first bridge and started sliding one way , straightens out and to start the other way, goes into the turn backwards passing a car in the process. Slides backwards in front of the car, up on the back flops over and slides back out into the road. 5 or 6 of us stop, including the lady he just passed backwards. She gets to him first, is talking to him asking him if he's ok. He responds yes just as I get there, she says " good! " Then proceeds to slap him across the face and said " you're about the dumbest mother ****** I have seen in a long time" Walk away gets in her car and drives away with all of us , except him , dying laughing
Some should have their winter driving privileges revoked!

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tom, NEVER a video camera around when you need one!:gr_grin: That would have one hell of a view count on Utube.

Bob

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've done the backwards thing in my car once.

coming home from school, up on an overpass, needed to get over one lane to exit when I caught a snow rut. nice, slow pirouette. thought I had a chance of saving it but nope. about 90degrees in I had the bright idea "hey, maybe I can catch it when i'm backwards!" well son of a ***** if that didn't work. there I am going about 25 in reverse on an overpass. had 2 cars go by me as I waved with a Burt Renolds grin on my face. after I got back control I whipped the wheel and spun her back around. pointing in the correct direction I got off the bridge, made my exit, and made it home safely.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a last minute trip to NC this past Feb when my grandma was in the hospital. They kept yelling snow, but in Ga that's like saying there's a possibility you'd wake up with a d**k growing out of your forehead. I stopped at Hamilton Mill(little north of Atl) and there was about an inch and it was starting to stick
You must be registered for see images attach

By the time I got to Commerce, there was a good 6-8" on the ground and it was coming down pretty good.

Notice the headlights facing towards me, that's the guy who went flying past me like an idiot. I was going 45 for a reason lol.

I drove over 250 miles in 6-14" of snow for the rest of the trip. The only person I saw was a cop I ended up pulling out of the ditch near Gaffney SC. If you were to screw up, well you might as well make camp and settle in for awhile. From I-77N in Charlotte to Hickory, it was unplowed and a foot deep. I left at 7pm that Friday, and got to Hickory around 6:45am on Saturday. Talk about sketchy. Here's a picture I took that Saturday around 4pm, most had melted since it was almost 50*, but there's still a good bit on the ground (no I'm not talking about where they plowed the parking lot lol).

I made some videos when I hit the foot deep stuff, I'll see if I can find them. Even my mom thought it was kinda funny, the only rig on the road is a *gasp* grocery getter Jeep. Still doesn't beat the one time I was in Meadsville Pennsylvania. It was almost knee deep and kids were waiting on the bus...but yet Atlanta shuts down for 3 days due to 2 or 3". They blamed it on "no traffic lights from power outage", which is weird because I've lived in Ga half of my life and I don't remember seeing the first stoplight on the interstate.

Last edited:

tigerKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Coming from Chicago, I've had several interesting experiences.

When I first got my license my dad took me out to an empty parking lot in our 4 door Chevy Nova (rear wheel drive, bald tires) and said "now you learn to drive". Then did it again with the front wheel drive Honda we had.

Coming back from Iowa in an ice storm I was driving my buddy's Scrambler when we hit black ice. We started going sideways. My buddy was freaking out while I just said "Damage control!". When the Scrambler grabbed, we popped up on two wheels (driver's side) and then it drop back down on all fours. I learned how to drive in all kinds of conditions in the Army.

I find it funny when an SUV ends up in the ditch with the owner saying "but I turned on the 4 wheel drive".

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Winter is the time for good deep tire treads! AT or snowflake rated please.
Don't let your Jeep take you for a ride!
53996[/ATTACH]"]

If you have Wrangler SRA's or ST's, Please stay at home! :gr_grin:

Attachments

• A%20Jeep%20Liberty%20Fail.gif
    A%20Jeep%20Liberty%20Fail.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here in Iowa, doesn't matter if you have 4WD or not, it snows you still go to work and if you call in they really lose it. I remember my wife's work threw a hissy fit about her calling in when I refused to drive her to work. I'll clarify, when I REFUSE to drive it's serious, as in the aftermath was my car buried up past its roof in snow and I couldn't leave town for a couple of days because they didn't get the highway's cleared until then.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Since 2003 I've had jobs that allow me to work from home. When I worked for the state there were a few times when non essential employees could stay home due to bad weather, but for some reason I had to work !! :thumbsdown:
But then a lot of days when they had to go and I was sitting at my desk at home in my sweats looking at the snow outside

Latest posts

Members online