What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
03 Green took another hit on my stock pile of parts today:blah:
Had to pull a spare UCA out to replace the drivers side ,
wasn't real bad but enough it was time to swap it out. :gr_grin:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
With the rain finally stopped, I got to more fall paint touch ups..
Sanded then brush painted the scrapes along bottom of rear diff.
53704[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Balancer was grim, so getting there..
53706[/ATTACH]"]

Even thought the calipers are functional, they sure look :favorites68: nasty!
One day when I get new calipers, painting them will be the first order of business.:gr_grin:
53708[/ATTACH]"]

Definitely next spring the Jeep is going back to the undercoater's for free touch ups.
Now it's time for a real cold :drink_nl:

Attachments

• Jeep%20Rust%20touch%20Ups1.jpg
    Jeep%20Rust%20touch%20Ups1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Jeep%20Rust%20touch%20Ups2.jpg
    Jeep%20Rust%20touch%20Ups2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Jeep%20Rust%20touch%20Ups3.jpg
    Jeep%20Rust%20touch%20Ups3.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 0

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03 Green took another hit on my stock pile of parts today:blah:
Had to pull a spare UCA out to replace the drivers side ,
wasn't real bad but enough it was time to swap it out. :gr_grin:

So Rev does it feel good to be doing some basic stuff to Green instead of creating new stuff for Kilimanjaro?

I love seeing your recent posts - it's like you're a newbie all over again ;) :happy175:

Bob

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove it to and from work, engine is definitely a lot smoother once again so I'll do another good flush like that for the next oil change. Seems the diesel noise on acceleration has gone away when the engine is cold. Will do the test again to make sure in the morning but so far so good.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I joined the party and installed the Solid diff cover I got from the UPS guy Wednesday. Tried using stainless bolts all the way around (a gift from a certain KJ owner on here) but some of them just wouldn't thread. So used some of the originals. I know - it looks dumb :shrug:

You must be registered for see images

I also replaced the passenger side axle - the original (from a 4 cylinder with 4.10's) had rusted right where it rides on the outer bearing. I replaced the bearings and seals back in the spring but it had developed a bad rumble. Bought a new axle, bearing and seal and swapped it in. Put on new parking brakes shoes (kind of a waste but I had a set here) while I had the diff apart - and installed something else that I may talk about later. I'm really happy with the results so far though on the first test drive I was a bit concerned. Details later - maybe :happy175::happy175:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So Rev does it feel good to be doing some basic stuff to Green instead of creating new stuff for Kilimanjaro?

I love seeing your recent posts - it's like you're a newbie all over again ;) :happy175:

Bob

Great working on Green, something different for sure. The thing is just got a box of new parts for Kili in the mail
Killer items that need to be put to the test :emotions34::shrug::icon_lol:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ That is on my list next year. A found a driveline shop with a rotational balancer.
They will remove all the rust on shaft & paint it good with new U-joints all at once.
Of course they will make the balance perfect too.
Having a Jeep driveshaft without rust? Wonder how long the paint will last?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I joined the party and installed the Solid diff cover I got from the UPS guy Wednesday. Tried using stainless bolts all the way around (a gift from a certain KJ owner on here) but some of them just wouldn't thread. So used some of the originals. I know - it looks dumb :shrug:

Bob
My rear diff bolts heads are corroded now, but I thought I would post this for fitment comparison..
53710[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• RiddlerNewBolts.jpg
    RiddlerNewBolts.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ That is on my list next year. A found a driveline shop with a rotational balancer.
They will remove all the rust on shaft & paint it good with new U-joints all at once.
Of course they will make the balance perfect too.
Having a Jeep driveshaft without rust? Wonder how long the paint will last?

A good powder coating would probably last longer especially in the Northern States, but spinning at thousands of rpms, exposed to rock and other debris probably wouldn't hold up very long. You would need a shield over the drive shaft to fully protect it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
^ Ya I hear that.
I wonder what kind of look & comments I would get, when I tell them I want it dipped in an acid bath, & prepped for chroming!! :icon_lol:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should ask for a custom carbon fiber shaft instead.

the_dealer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also replaced the passenger side axle - the original (from a 4 cylinder with 4.10's) had rusted right where it rides on the outer bearing. I replaced the bearings and seals back in the spring but it had developed a bad rumble. Bought a new axle, bearing and seal and swapped it in. Put on new parking brakes shoes (kind of a waste but I had a set here) while I had the diff apart - and installed something else that I may talk about later. I'm really happy with the results so far though on the first test drive I was a bit concerned. Details later - maybe :happy175::happy175:

Bob

Was your bearing plastic? I ordered mine from the Jeep dealership and they were plastic. Crown is known to relabel Spicer parts(like the intermediate shafts), and even though the picture showed a needle bearing it was plastic too. My buddy is a parts manager for the Acura dealership and found that Spicer made a needle bearing for a Dodge ram d44 that were the same dimensions. I'm my original axle I went through the plastic ones scored the surface like crazy

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

Poppaswan63

Reaction score
What's next

Trying to find flares and bumpers for my 2006 liberty
I'm open for suggestions and addresses? Tyty

Last edited by a moderator:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was your bearing plastic? I ordered mine from the Jeep dealership and they were plastic. Crown is known to relabel Spicer parts(like the intermediate shafts), and even though the picture showed a needle bearing it was plastic too. My buddy is a parts manager for the Acura dealership and found that Spicer made a needle bearing for a Dodge ram d44 that were the same dimensions. I'm my original axle I went through the plastic ones scored the surface like crazy

Sent from my G870a on 38's.

I replaced the passenger side rear axle - so the bearings are real steel with a press-in seal.

Sorry I can't answer your question :waytogo:

Bob