What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moved mine around a bit today. Still trying to decide my next step:

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/torque-converter-flutter-58031/

Based on comments here and more online research, I'm convinced the TC is going but hope to get to the dealer for a scan. Tried my readers again today but still no codes. TCs aren't too pricy and the FSM protocol for the removal wasn't sounding too bad. If the dealer confirms, looks like I'll tackle it myself.

Found a pretty extensive rust spot on the rocker under the rear Dside passenger door. Next weekend just got booked.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Filled it with gas to celebrate the second anniversary of purchasing it. I did not, however, top the treat off with a birthday candle. :mexsmoke:

Then I got a JOB OFFER this afternoon!!!

:big_banana_Dance:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filled it with gas to celebrate the second anniversary of purchasing it. I did not, however, top the treat off with a birthday candle. :mexsmoke:

Then I got a JOB OFFER this afternoon!!!

:big_banana_Dance:

Could've been an explosive afternoon :popcorn:

Congrats Prof - you've been more than patient that's for sure. When do you start?

Bob

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed a new crankshaft position sensor :favorites68:

Back in December I was on a business trip in Memphis and the KJ died on the highway, in the middle lane, during rush hour. Turned over but didn't even try to start.

Eventually limped it to a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealership and they diagnosed bad camshaft and crankshaft position sensors. I knew what the problem was after pulling the P0320, P0339, P0344 codes via the key (cam and crank sensor issues.) Service writer told me they had an OEM/Mopar cam sensor, but couldn't track down a crank sensor except from a NAPA in Arkansas(!) I didn't like the non-Mopar sensor but the service writer said "it's warranted just like one of the Mopar sensors here at the dealership." Yea, 'cept I live in Northern Ohio and this was Memphis :emotions34:

I had a 13 hour drive ahead of me so had him replace the sensors so I could get on my way. Fast forward to yesterday on the way to Mom-in-law's place for Mothers Day and the Jeep starts bucking and it throws a CEL. Got a P0320 code (crankshaft position sensor) and I knew immediately the non-Mopar sensor had failed. Pulled it this morning and check out what the end of the sensor looked like:
You must be registered for see images

Bloody sensor was 1/32" too long and was rubbing against the crank's reluctor ring teeth :favorites68:

Didn't take a pic of the Mopar and NAPA sensors side-by-side but there was a definite difference in the length of the sensors past the O-ring.

I always use Mopar sensors rather than aftermarket but in this case I was at the Memphis dealer's mercy. It was a Friday afternoon couple weeks before Christmas and I was trying to get home by that Saturday afternoon.

So newbies, when you question why we tell you to buy the more expensive Mopar sensors vs aftermarket, I present reason #117 :emotions34:

Bob

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Could've been an explosive afternoon :popcorn:

Congrats Prof - you've been more than patient that's for sure. When do you start?

Bob
I start next Monday, the 18th.

The patience part? Well...I didn't have much choice. :icon_lol:

PS: I "liked" your subsequent post for the Mopar parts advice at the end. :)

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really anything I did to the Libby...but kinda... Hooked up the trailer and got the kayak mounted, finally! I'm ready for some sunshine and water now! More pics of the custom load bars ----> HERE
You must be registered for see images attach

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm DYIN' to get it on the water!! I wish the weather would friggin cooperate with my days off!
I had a job a few years back where my only day off was Sunday. It rained for eight Sundays in a row one summer. In Cleveland, eight weeks is about all the nice weather you get all year long. :emotions34:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay no flaming on this please.

I know it's faster and ~$100-$150 to do this at a shop but I wanted to try my own DIY transmission fluid exchange via dipstick.

Example
[YT]dfZSzV03pF4[/YT]

Cycled in 14 quarts of new ATF+4 with my converted mini air compressor to do the vacuuming.
Shifts super smooth now.

Tomorrow, I'll be getting the filters changed out.

At some point, I'll be playing around to see whether I can use the same compressor to transfer gear oil by air pressure.

Last edited:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you all are going to be paying into Social Security now that I'm retired!!! NOW get to work! I need more Jeep parts...:whip: :gr_grin:

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed a communications device so I can contact all the wingnuts in the universe:

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finished the 3-axis trailer coupler, cut off the 2" ball coupler, and fabbed a hitch receiver on the trailer tongue this weekend.

Put the new 4.10's in and the Powertrax No-slip locker for the rear. Found a very generous shop owner here in Bend to let me help with the tear down and install (actually got to disassemble some other diff's during some "down time" as well).

So, I spent most of yesterday getting the front and rear ends taken apart and new gears in (done by owner); and a few hours this morning installing the locker and putting it all back together. Added new rear seals since it was apart.

Loving the back to stock "power" and the locker is actually very well behaved. A few "pops" here and there, but once you understand how to control the throttle in the turns and around town, I seriously forgot it was back there. I am definitely learning some "new" driving techniques, but so far so good.

Last edited by a moderator:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
****** filters changed.

went to discount tire for a rotation. At first it was one stuck lug, told them okay to break it since they would cover the cost of repair. Then another one was stuck but I didn't okay it. So I'm got to be real careful with a RR wheel with 3 lugs and 2 broken studs till tomorrow morning to get it fixed at the referral garage.

:( thought it was going to be a happy day.