What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been doing most of my snow travel via 2wd as of late. The transfer case problem does not allow for 4hi.... BUT, worst case scenario, 4lo does still work quite well. lol3.gif

But even in 2wd, that porky little jeep does far better than the lightweight little Ranger I had before it. :)

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have a little snow coming our way early in the morning. Nothing like what you guys are getting. 1-3 in the Colorado springs area, 2-4 up here in Monument.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ended up with 5". Driveway is shoveled. Not because of the Jeep, but because of the bf's work van which can't even make it over the hard spots the Jeep would leave behind. It's a pig...

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been doing most of my snow travel via 2wd as of late. The transfer case problem does not allow for 4hi.... BUT, worst case scenario, 4lo does still work quite well. lol3.gif

But even in 2wd, that porky little jeep does far better than the lightweight little Ranger I had before it. :)

Jayme, what's up with the T-case?

Bob

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday and this morning my 3 year old battery cranked the V6 R-E-A-L-L-Y slowly - and I don't trust it to make it through the below zero temps we're expecting here in the next few days...

Replaced it with a DieHard Gold AGM battery with 750 CCA's and 3 year replacement warranty.

New battery turns it over RIGHT NOW! :head3:

Bob

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the Jeep out to get kerosene for the heater for the outer basement (kitchen was an add-on and the floor gets ice cold) and fill up the Jeep's tank. There's an awful lot of slush that's going to freeze once the sun goes down in travel lanes...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Jayme, what's up with the T-case?

Bob

Age... The selector fork inside the T-case is loose - rubs/rattles in 2wd, can't use 4hi, but 4lo works great! :D Sounds lovely too... similar to how it sounds when tires rub in the wheel wells or on the fender flares.

That, and the transmission has started to slip some, but it's not a major concern yet. For now I've just been driving it locally - errands and such. We have all the donor parts, so once the weather warms up over a weekend, we'll get the transplants in.

I've got cabin fever... jonesing for a road trip in the jeep.

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Yesterday and this morning my 3 year old battery cranked the V6 R-E-A-L-L-Y slowly - and I don't trust it to make it through the below zero temps we're expecting here in the next few days...

Replaced it with a DieHard Gold AGM battery with 750 CCA's and 3 year replacement warranty.

New battery turns it over RIGHT NOW! :head3:

Bob

How old was your old one?

I remember my first one was nearly 7 years old when it bought the farm. I was really surprised I didn't get stranded somewhere. eek2.gif

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Since you all are discussing batteries
some interesting facts if your battery is at 100% of its life
at 80 degrees your battery is at 100% power and you have of course 100% to start it
At 32 degrees your battery has 65% of its power due to the cold, and your vehicle needs 155% for starting it
At 0 degrees your battery can only provide 40% but the starting power required is 210%
So if the battery is getting old and possibly only operating at 805 you can see how it would be hard to start

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm still amazed that mine's holding up as well as it is. Even at -21 last night it didn't turn over slow. A little slower than when it's warm but not slow enough to concern me. I'm keeping extra winter gear in the jeep just in case it does crap out but I want to see how long it will actually last. I'm kinda wondering if having the capacitor in the system is helping it along.. think I'll look into that.

Sent from my HTC One using the power of Mary's purse

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got her rear ended at a stop light by a Progressive Escape. Now Progressive wants's to foot the bill themselves. Waiting for parts now $@&#!+?#:4$

Last edited:

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

What Jeep? I don't see any Jeeps here. :(

After I discovered there actually WAS a Jeep under all of that, I had a bit of fun driving an hour to work with the brand new tires in 4wd the whole way =]

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How old was your old one?

I remember my first one was nearly 7 years old when it bought the farm. I was really surprised I didn't get stranded somewhere. eek2.gif

It was just short of 4 years old - but it was a cheapie put in by the dealer I bought the Jeep from. I knew during the first cold snap in November that I'd be replacing it - Tom's stats (thanks Tom!) describe exactly why I needed to replace it. Cold mornings here the last couple of days and the engine cranked very slowly - I can't afford to have it tank on me in the next couple of months as I'll be on the road for about the next 10 weeks.

We aren't even cold yet - Monday & Tuesday we're looking at 20 below or so - not quite Manitoba or North Dakota cold, but chilly nonetheless :icon_eek:

Bob

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Our worst freeze is coming Monday and Tuesday... they say.

Stay warm out there!

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday.....took out my front passenger cv axel for replacement. In nice 68°f weather here in south east Texas.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk