What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
After almost being rear ended again despite my KJ's little hat ;) (led rooftop beacon) I decided to take it up a notch...

It's a quick video though... man I hate compression.

You must be registered for see images attach

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered a front mopar skid plate. Man I have a problem and I'm loving every second of it. :party36:

Anyone have a trans skid for sale? haha

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
You don't want the Mopar trans skid if you plan on actually going off road - that one is the flimsiest of the 4. Just know that if you do get it, it won't take a whole lot of abuse without bending.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Filled it up....$42.73 took it from just a tick above 1/4 to full. :D Didn't spill any either.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After almost being rear ended again despite my KJ's little hat ;) (led rooftop beacon) I decided to take it up a notch...

It's a quick video though... man I hate compression.

Dude, those are awesome! Details man, details! :icon_cool:

Bob

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Previously on rural delivery ... our hero used his "little hat of protection" to shield his precious KJ from the %@#!^!*&$ ... that somehow buy drivers licenses.

I've almost been rear ended twice in the last 6 months .. So I bought a set of amber LED's (54 way to many ..lol) and a controller with 3 flash types for $30. (ebay)

In the front I made two brackets out of square stock from an old satellite dish mount :D that I cut with shears, flattened and bent to fit, primed and painted. I "silicon-ed" (really that's the dictionary's suggestion?) the seams and mounted the lights to the brackets. At the moment they are strapped there with milspec zip ties... and if they don't move that's probably how they will stay ;)

I ran the wires through the drvr side footwell access hole... Wired the controller to the cig lighter ... and the lights into the controller. Drilled the most beautiful 5/8" hole that no one will ever see in the back of the cubby hole beside the lighter :happy175: it's a shame too it was perfect. To very small bolts from the underside of the bezel (and through the rubber mat) and voila!

In the rear it was so easy it's scary... I removed the leds from two of the brackets and noticed that they slipped nicely between the frame and the seal, almost like they were made to measure. Just far enough in from the glass and not to low so that they are in the way for my purposes.
So... I just extended the slits in the rear upper plastic molding....so that the brackets would extend through it... snapped it in place, bolted the lights to the inverted mounts and done.

The only other materials were some primary wire and butt connectors :buttkick:

When I first tried them out it was dark and I was in the garage .. nearly blinded myself with the strobe effect .... but in the daylight they are not that intimidating. I need to be seen when I'm on the side of the road figuring out where I'm going next :D and it's so nice not to have to climb on the roof to get my "hat"

You asked for details .. and my beer is going down soooo smoothly I am happy to oblige :cheers:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
replaced transfer case end of front drive shaft for something to do. Old one seemed fine but was out tracing down a vibe in the front and boot was starting to crack, tossed it since there was a new one on the shelf.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't want the Mopar trans skid if you plan on actually going off road - that one is the flimsiest of the 4. Just know that if you do get it, it won't take a whole lot of abuse without bending.
x2
Its marginally better then nothing, still bent mine on a snow bank / ice bank last year. Can't imagine rocks are more forgiving.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...I bought a set of amber LED's (54 way to many ..lol) and a controller with 3 flash types...

Drive down here and we'll swing over to Lorain County and scare the grits and hillbillies with 'em. You'll have to be ready to move quick, though. Sometimes scared hillbillies will take a potshot at you. :lazer:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

x2
Its marginally better then nothing, still bent mine on a snow bank / ice bank last year. Can't imagine rocks are more forgiving.

Thanks for the heads up! I will look into alternatives before winter arrives.

Kj/toy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mopar Trans. skid

What about reinforcing the Mopar trans. skid with some metal? Would it be as good as some of the others?

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today...ordered my Yakima Sparetime bike rack so I can haul my bike around without taking up all the interior space! :)
Should have it in a few days. I'll post pics once it's installed. :party36:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why bother when a different skid could be bought. No sense in polishing turds

Gonna remove my polished **** tomorrow evening...

Got a 4X Guard trans skid today from JBA and it is a heavy duty unit. Really like its construction - good gusseting and welds besides the fact it's a full 1/4" thick. Won't be able to hold it up with one hand while tightening the bolts with the other like I did with the factory trans skid.

Pics tomorrow night :happy107:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Got a 4X Guard trans skid today from JBA and it is a heavy duty unit. Really like its construction - good gusseting and welds besides the fact it's a full 1/4" thick. Won't be able to hold it up with one hand while tightening the bolts with the other like I did with the factory trans skid.

Bob

They do like good don't they?
Good and strong

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They do like good don't they?
Good and strong

Yes sir! I'm thinking about getting the engine skid now too. Number 1 it is more robust than the Mopar skid and, Number 2 it is smooth so easier to slide over rocks, etc.

I laughed out loud at myself when I went to pick up the box when I got home yesterday - thought I would just pick it up and carry it in the garage. NOT! Dang thing is heavy :peace:

Will have to drill through the trans crossmember to run a carriage bolt through to support one corner of the skid. On mine the T-case skid doesn't have a bolt/Nutzert where the 4X Guard skid needs one. No big deal though.

Glad I'll have the skid for the ECS trip in Tennessee :waytogo:

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Bob

Bob you read my mind and beat me to it! I am going to order one when I order my new suspension. Hopefully sooner than later. Waiting on a cash issue.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it on craigslist... going to korea for three years. THANKS to all the people on here for the help and inspiration to make one badass liberty.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trent best of luck please come visit us, your still a member were ever you go KJ or not.