What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Went to two junkyards. Asked for a spare tire for the Jeep at one. No.

Got Honda parts so I can drive the Honda to work at 40 mpg, rather than the KK at what, 16 mpg? I filled the tank, and then when I fill it again I will calculate the mileage. That's the only way to do it. Keep a running log of miles on Trip B and gallons purchased. Then divide, and you have your actual mpg. Not what you think you get.

Jeep ran nice, 200 miles or so round trip. I live way out in the middle of nowhere, and that's why (part of why) I moved here.

I haven't seen any KKs in the junkyard here yet, but yes, some KJs. Let me know if anyone needs a junkyard part. If I can get it I'll ship it to you cost plus shipping, plus 10%.
dc

Never could figure out why the KKs do not get close to what the KJs do

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never could figure out why the KKs do not get close to what the KJs do

You mean dollar wise?

That wasn't the case here when I was looking end of last year. But then all the kjs were older and had more miles, so ...
dc

Did I mention I'm starting to see my KK as dependable. Just starts every time.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You mean dollar wise?

That wasn't the case here when I was looking end of last year. But then all the kjs were older and had more miles, so ...
dc

Did I mention I'm starting to see my KK as dependable. Just starts every time.

Mileage wise ( MPG )

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I think it’s the extra weight. The uniframe is stiffened vs the KJ and there is a longer rear end.
How much more do they weigh ?
Plus like mine, well the 03 and 04 with all the extra weight of aftermarket skids, bumpers etc has to be close to a KK I would think

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to Edmunds.com
2006 curb weight 3851#
2012 curb weight 4290#

I don’t know if 340 lbs is enough to account for the difference in mpg as that is easily accounted for by adding some mods and a passenger.

Some other stats from Edmunds:
Drag coefficient
2006 cd 0.42
2012 cd 0.39

MPG city/highway/combined
2006 16/20/17
2012 15/21/17

So from an aerodynamic standpoint and according to the official fuel economy stats the KK should do better. Who can really say? Lol

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will look for the scales and weigh mine.

A lot of the miles per gallon depends on the engine. And if it is the same 3.7 liter V6 they will both use a fairly similar amount of gas. Which is what your Edmunds figures show.

As to aerodynamics, there is a lot of wind here, which batters any car from side front or rear. Also, all driving here is above 4000 ft of elevation. Which increases fuel efficiency. Also, no stop lights. In my county there are two stop lights. Some of the counties around here have no stop lights.

Sitting in the car with the engine running, you get 0 miles per gallon. That will bring your average down. The best way to "warm up" a car is ... drive it.

My Honda weighs abut 2400 pounds.

I have made rough calculations on the Jeep for going to the big city. 16.5 mpg. Which compared to the Honda or many new Jeeps, etc is bad. But at least it shows that the engine is running about where it should be, and thus is doing ok.

I'm watching the oil consumption also, as that is a good indicator of engine condition.

It looks like I may end up being happy with this Jeep. Even with the mpg. I knew about that before I bought it. But I didn't buy it to drive to work. Only to fill in for the Honda if it was out of service. And to pull a trailer with a ATV to off road trails.
dc

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My lifted KJ with all skids weighed in at 4695 lbs with gear, single occupant, half tank of fuel.
15mpg on highway is about the best I can get.
I have discovered a way to extend fuel range greatly thru "In Drive refueling" :D
You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I will look for the scales and weigh mine.

A lot of the miles per gallon depends on the engine. And if it is the same 3.7 liter V6 they will both use a fairly similar amount of gas. Which is what your Edmunds figures show.

As to aerodynamics, there is a lot of wind here, which batters any car from side front or rear. Also, all driving here is above 4000 ft of elevation. Which increases fuel efficiency. Also, no stop lights. In my county there are two stop lights. Some of the counties around here have no stop lights.

Sitting in the car with the engine running, you get 0 miles per gallon. That will bring your average down. The best way to "warm up" a car is ... drive it.

My Honda weighs abut 2400 pounds.

I have made rough calculations on the Jeep for going to the big city. 16.5 mpg. Which compared to the Honda or many new Jeeps, etc is bad. But at least it shows that the engine is running about where it should be, and thus is doing ok.

I'm watching the oil consumption also, as that is a good indicator of engine condition.

It looks like I may end up being happy with this Jeep. Even with the mpg. I knew about that before I bought it. But I didn't buy it to drive to work. Only to fill in for the Honda if it was out of service. And to pull a trailer with a ATV to off road trails.
dc
Road trips for me I always get 21-22 easy at 75 plus
On the 04 that is with full aftermarket skids, 4.5 inches of lift, aftermarket front and rear bumpers, rock rails , tools and many other things in there
I've averaged that going from Northwestern Ohio to Boston ( did the trip once a month for close to two years )
From same area to Daytona Beach , with a loaded 6X10 enclosed trailer averaged 16.8 down to Orlando running 70 plus
Around here the roads are crooked, up and down hills etc and get 18-19 easy going back and forth to work in the 03 . Its lifted, full skids etc etc

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Road trips for me I always get 21-22 easy at 75 plus
On the 04 that is with full aftermarket skids, 4.5 inches of lift, aftermarket front and rear bumpers, rock rails , tools and many other things in there
I've averaged that going from Northwestern Ohio to Boston ( did the trip once a month for close to two years )
From same area to Daytona Beach , with a loaded 6X10 enclosed trailer averaged 16.8 down to Orlando running 70 plus
Around here the roads are crooked, up and down hills etc and get 18-19 easy going back and forth to work in the 03 . Its lifted, full skids etc etc
^^^ Key to this performance is that you regeared to 4.10 to account for your larger tires. (31 or 32”?). I think you hit the sweet spot even better than the engineers did with 3.73 gearing and 29” tires on the stock KJ.

Not regearing yet and running 31’s I’m getting about 12 mpg city and 17 highway with my 08 KK, which has skids, sliders, steel roof rack, tool box etc. If anyone here is a geek like me, you can check out 150,000 miles of fuel mileage data for my KK on Fuelly.

https://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/liberty/2008/lfhoward/95303

Last edited:

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ averages 16mpg overall. This winter, I’ve had a lot of idle time, though. 20min warming up before work and before heading home. Sometimes a few breaks, too.

Back when I moved, it got 12mpg pulling a big, full enclosed trailer in fifth gear keeping around 2500rpm. I got 16mpg pulling my old XJ on a dolly doing the same thing.

You must be registered for see images attach

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In other news, I got to test out the Liberty’s handling in mud today. The company I work for is all moved into the new shop. You know what else is happening? The frost is coming out of the new gravel driveway and parking lot. We almost buried the service van coming back to get my vehicle. Then, two more guys in 4x4 pickups came in to drop materials off. Next up was getting out of there.

We all agreed that the van should go first he made it and headed home. Then, the first pickup went. Then, it was an Escape followed by the second truck, which left me. I backed out of my spot and could have sworn I felt myself sinking. I put her in first and bombed my way out. It was a good 150’-200’ stretch that ended with a 90 degree turn. I was afraid of sliding right through the turn, but I let off the gas enough to turn. I must’ve done pretty well, because I got some cheers when I pulled up to the pack!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^ Key to this performance is that you regeared to 4.10 to account for your larger tires. (31 or 32”?). I think you hit the sweet spot even better than the engineers did with 3.73 gearing and 29” tires on the stock KJ.

Not regearing yet and running 31’s I’m getting about 12 mpg city and 17 highway with my 08 KK, which has skids, sliders, steel roof rack, tool box etc. If anyone here is a geek like me, you can check out 150,000 miles of fuel mileage data for my KK on Fuelly.

https://www.fuelly.com/car/jeep/liberty/2008/lfhoward/95303

This is one of the reasons why I wonder why in the hell they went with 3.55 for the manuals. with a 4.46 1st and a 15.83 effective, it's too low for a smooth launch.

JeepWoman13

Reaction score
Going to let your Jeep run all night ?
Have to have it running and circulating the antifreeze to work

I did leave the plug loose from Sunday to till today. There was all kids of leak out the plug, and res level dropped too. Today took it and got it warm, then barely loosened the plug and all kids of smaller bubbles came out. So I just stood there and did it continuously. Still getting bubbles, but on right track anyway now. Wish they had the old style bleeder plugs like Ford used to use.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I did leave the plug loose from Sunday to till today. There was all kids of leak out the plug, and res level dropped too. Today took it and got it warm, then barely loosened the plug and all kids of smaller bubbles came out. So I just stood there and did it continuously. Still getting bubbles, but on right track anyway now. Wish they had the old style bleeder plugs like Ford used to use.
You'll get it all out soon, just takes time on some of them

AJ9P

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fabbed up a winch mount plate. Waiting on the carbide drill nits so I can finish the install. I am happy how it’s going thus far. The farling is just placed in the picture, I am going to finish the install tomorrow. Now it’s time to get all the metal shavings out of my hair.

Attachments

• 9B18A5A9-C107-4EA2-9893-07818A4009F2.jpeg
    9B18A5A9-C107-4EA2-9893-07818A4009F2.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online