What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea like I said, I'm looking for 3 season, but at least capable of getting me home if I get caught in a storm because I was a moron, or have to travel some poorly maintained roads post-storm. The chances of the latter are nearly zero around here, and the studded snows will still be on the Jeep anyways I suspect. I am a little concerned that the HTS60 design isn't going to be that great in some mall-crawling off-road scenarios (grassy fields mostly.)

Also in general looking around at tires, as goodyear has let me down. Assuming they're still around, the Michelin CrossClimate 2 tire will probably be my next "car" tire for the daily driven cars.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washed the Jeep.
And the Stratus.
And the Sebring.
And the T&C.
And pissed off the neighbor that wants to "feud".
And moved my mailbox.
And had another good conversation with the mail lady. (who hates the neighbors, as the wife is a total bitch to her, and the alternate.)

Doing10to20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drove up to sedona to pick up a free new bfgoodrich mt.. .turns out the guy had 4 new nexen roadian pro ra8 all 255/75/17 he was gonna send to the recycle. Ended up leaving with 5 new tires for the kj. I got bfgs on the kj right now so the 1 will go in to the rotation. Gonna store the others for a bit then put them on

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Waited about three hours to get a swab of my throat....no big deal!

At least I know that my friends and family are safe to be near me!;)

The wearing of masks has been mandatory here in SA from day 1!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thoroughly disappointed in this lame-ass "pandemic".
Where are the zombies?
Where are the mindless hoards (wait... BLM/ANTIFA might qualify.)
Where are the mountains of dead bodies piled in the streets?

Anyway, not taking the Jeep today, but hauling mom's generator back to her house, building a new pad for the generator shed/box, and doing some yard cleanup for her.

Reaction score
Gonna have the jeep up on stands this weekend. Swapping out transfer case for a rebuilt one and also swapping out axle bearings.

Later this winter will be a timing cover removal and front main seal replacement as its slinging all over the front of the engine. May replace timing chains/tensioners while I'm in there too.

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Gonna have the jeep up on stands this weekend. Swapping out transfer case for a rebuilt one and also swapping out axle bearings.
Take a few pictures and post how it went, I have a growl underneath and it sounds like the rear end is shot. Might be the axle bearings.
When I changed the rear end oil, the spider and side gears looked like a Rottweiler was chewing on them. Might be the transfer case too.

Reaction score
Take a few pictures and post how it went, I have a growl underneath and it sounds like the rear end is shot. Might be the axle bearings.
When I changed the rear end oil, the spider and side gears looked like a Rottweiler was chewing on them. Might be the transfer case too.

Ill be sure to post what I find. My noise sounds more like a tiny jar filled with marbles thats constantly rattling. And its only coming from the passenger side rear wheel. Only thing I can think of is the axle bearing going bad, and all the rollers making noise. I hope at least.

I did a rear diff oil change recently as well, noise started months after the oil change.

Last edited:

Big Al

Let's get Cracken
Reaction score
Ill be sure to post what I find. My noise sounds more like a tiny jar filled with marbles thats constantly rattling. And its only coming from the passenger side rear wheel. Only thing I can think of is the axle bearing going bad, and all the rollers making noise.
Mine has a loud humming noise when I'm cruising at 30MPH or more with the gas pedal depressed, as soon as I let off on the gas, the noise disappears.
You could put it on stands and then put it in gear and have the drive train rotate at different speeds.
Super dangerous, but using a mechanics stethoscope, you could pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Watch out for rotating tires and rotating driveshafts.

kmitch

Reaction score
Put the MOPAR gas cap on I ordered... :D I will say, whatever gas cap they put on there was completely inadequate as far as the grooves go.

lllluke

Reaction score
WELDED THE CHASSIS ??
N/S TRACK ROD END ? Didn't know we had a track rod on a KJ , as much as I have been under a bunch of them..................
O/S LOWER BALL JOINT ??

In basic English: Chassis was rotten so welded 2, 18" patches over it. Changed the end of the steering rack that attaches to the hub, we all them track rods because you use the rod to adjust the tracking. Changed the lower, drivers side ball joint. Changed the drivers side wheel bearing. Off side because it is on the off side to the curb. All to pass the yearly MOT, a test every year that proves the car is road worthy.

Cheers Luke

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
In basic English: Chassis was rotten so welded 2, 18" patches over it. Changed the end of the steering rack that attaches to the hub, we all them track rods because you use the rod to adjust the tracking. Changed the lower, drivers side ball joint. Changed the drivers side wheel bearing. Off side because it is on the off side to the curb. All to pass the yearly MOT, a test every year that proves the car is road worthy.

Cheers Luke
Basic English to you over there
BUT to us over here , makes no sense ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
ORDERED A NEW SET OF ADJUSTABLE REAR LOWER CONTROL ARMS FOR THE 03
ORDERED TWO SETS SO FAR AND TWO COMPANIES FAILED ME
SO,.....now trying CORE4X4 , these you can even pick what color you want ;)

Regular rear LCAs are 50-60 bucks each at least from what I was finding, even ordered a set of MOOG problem solvers for the 05 and out of stock at Rock Auto, every one brags about them so thought I would try them, nope

Last edited: