Went ahead and installed link extension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they buffaloed the control arm, so they're ordering me a new one. I explained to the guy there the difference between the good ones and the bad ones and that I want to know where he got it. Can anyone say what is a tell tale sign it is one of the cheaper knockoffs? I know when you get OEM parts they have pretty obvious tags and stickers on them right? If anyone has any pointers please let me know. Thanks!!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think they buffaloed the control arm, so they're ordering me a new one. I explained to the guy there the difference between the good ones and the bad ones and that I want to know where he got it. Can anyone say what is a tell tale sign it is one of the cheaper knockoffs? I know when you get OEM parts they have pretty obvious tags and stickers on them right? If anyone has any pointers please let me know. Thanks!!

The first time I attempted to have new bushings and a ball joint pressed into my control arm the steel wrinkled around the first bushing the shop tried. The steel is actually very thin with crumple zones built into it in case of collision - add in corrosion from salt and it turns to scrap pretty easily.

As you said - look for a UPC/bar code on one of the sides for a Mopar product vs aftermarket. Also the ball joint boot for the Mopar unit will be black while aftermarket units may be blue.

Bob

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just ditch the rear swaybar all together.It does nothing how it's mounted in the rear of a KJ anyways.Just added weight that can be lost easily.

Hummm something to think about might try that. I was under the impression it helped with heavy loads and when you pull a trailer as I do a lot of . Thats what I worry about .Any thoughts on that you could share Tjkj. :killit:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 6X10 enclosed and a 5X8 open that I pull all of the time
I've had my sway bar off so long i can't remember when I took it off
I've pulled the enclosed from Northwest Ohio to Boston area 4 times , Orlando once etc with no issues

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thaks for the info Tommudd looks like I'll be giving it a try has to be better for articulation.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well they pulled through and made it right. They got an oem control arm. I got it installed in about 30 minutes last night and this morning I am enjoying a very smooth ride. It is really nice. Before the rear was really choppy feeling while articulating and now it is smooth as butter. I put a coat of rustoleum on it for extra protection.

It is way better now!!!

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did mine A lot better angle on the y link bushings I think the spring purch angle is better but didn't check it before installing the brackets then spent 20 min looking for a squeak only to find I didn't have the park brake levet all the way down ooops

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I know I am late but for anyone else that is looking
at rear LCA bushings and shop labor for install
Look at the LCA's from Rustys offroad
I have abused mine for over 6 years still in good shape
They are 10X as strong as the stock arms
and at a cost of $170 for the pair they are a good value
Top that off with the fact that they can be easily installed
in a driveway with basic hand tools
And I would not even bother with OE arms

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've finally had the chance to test the link off-road and I can tell you that you get lots more articulation. Before the axle would stop before the stuffed tire had a chance to rub. Now, with the link the tire being stuffed rubs the body inside the wheel well. It made a nice racket inside and freaked me out, but luckily a spotter said it was just the tire rubbing. I have a nice scar inside the wheel well now. I found myself making it over obstacles that I really couldn't do as easily before.

I just know there's more articulation because the tire rubs and that's all I'm going on, but I've never had tire rub in the rear before and I'm just running 245/75 duratracs. Just thought I'd let you all know.

...oh and yeah I took off the sway bar.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how much bumpstop / hockey pucks you running? Is there 1 rear iso or 2?

Why hasn't marlin just machined it out in 1 piece if there is a remote concern of bending it?

Looks good would like to try it.