Warn 9500i Winch in ARB Bumper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the summer I picked up a Warn 9500i winch for cheap from a local ad. Then a few weeks later I found a used ARB bumper with in driving distance.

Natively, a 9500i will not fit the ARB. It is too tall and would mount in the wrong orientation for the ARB.

The bumper was is pretty rough shape when I got it, and knowing I had to modify it to make it work only has made this project more fun.

It came with the original mounting hardware, but some were stripped out and others has broken bolts stuck in the weld nuts. So I made my own from some 1.5 inch by 3/16 angle iron.

Note: I am by no means a professional welder.

You must be registered for see images attach

The winch came with a 1/4 inch winch plate that just perfectly fit between the "rails" of the bumper mount. With some more angle iron supports below, and welding it all the way around, it is quite sturdy.
I essentially made Detours USA Backbone out of the ARB bumper mount.

The outer shell needed quite a bit of work because all of the layers in the front section and grew over a half inch from all the rust jacking. I cut out a large section of the front an replaced it with an 1/8 plate.
Since the outer shell will only be holding the fairlead, it doesn't need anywhere as much reinforcement.

Here is the bumper rough mounted to the Jeep. Lots more work to do yet.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bumper didn't come with the ARB turn signals, and I really didn't care for how they looked, so I enlarged the cutouts to accept a standard 6 inch oval light.

As you can see there is quite a bit of pitting, This will be filled in and painted over at the end.
Next on the list is to cut out some clearance for the winch engagement lever.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like an 02-04 bumper on an 05-07

Did they park that bumper nose down in the ocean or what?
Looks of rust for sure

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a 05-07 bumper, the 02-04 bumpers have the wrap around turn signals that came with the Liberty in stock form, and the larger fog lights. I actually have a 02-04 bumper too, but it doesn’t work well on a 05-07. The biggest issue is that there is too much gap between the top of the bumper and the fender flares.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Earlier ones yes, but the 05-07s I have seen do not cover the fog light holes
I too have had a 02-4 , had it for 12 years and mounted 5 other ARBs on bot early and later models of KJs

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cut out a section for the engagement lever for the winch.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cut out the fairlead opening for the winch and sanded/primed the hoop

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Smeared some bondo body filler in the rust pits to make it look presentable after painting.
I have never used it before, so we shall see how this goes.

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed in cab winch controls as well.
The red switch on the left turns the interrupt relay on, the switch on the right controls the winch in and out. The external control still can be used.

Last edited:

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the wiring for the winch is complete, the 2 gauge power and ground cables for the winch are covered in 1/2 inch heater hose for protection.

David13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is going to turn out beautiful.

I spent much of last winter putting a Warn winch on my atv. There were many parts that wouldn't fit. The Warn mounting plate didn't fit, and the wires were too short. So I had to take the machine all apart and make it all fit.
dc

65Corvair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is going to turn out beautiful.

I spent much of last winter putting a Warn winch on my atv. There were many parts that wouldn't fit. The Warn mounting plate didn't fit, and the wires were too short. So I had to take the machine all apart and make it all fit.
dc

Thank you for the nice comment. I hope your ATV winch worked out they way you wanted it to.

Fog lights and turn signal harnesses have been extended, hooked up and work as expected.
Next is to remove the bumper one last time for final sanding and paint.
After that, is trim inner fender liners, and install the lower guards.

Smithers205

Reaction score
Hi @65Corvair

do you have any measurements of the fitting kit bracket for the ARB? Mainly the bolt hole positioning.
I just picked one up but this piece of missing and I would like to get something fabricated before pulling the bumper off.

thanks in advance

Latest posts

Members online