Vibration under heavy braking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NastyKnate

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post.

2003 Liberty RME. 3.7 5spd 4x4

I only notice this vibration under heavy braking, ie: exiting the freeway. i feel it in the steering wheel. Drives smooth as can be at any speed, turning, accelerating, etc.

i bought this just before xmas. i have done nothing to it, bone stock. tires were rebalanced etc when the winter shoes came off it.

im thinking warped front rotors. i have not looked into it very much at all yet, but im going on a 2000km road trip in a couple weeks. need to make sure its nothing else.

i know i have RARELY used the 4x4, and judging by the excellent condition it was in when i bought it, seems it was rarely used by the previous owner as well, i say this because it was suggested the front ujoints maybe gone.

any suggestions appreciated. if its just warped rotors the repair can probably wait, anything else im going to want fixed before i go

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
im thinking warped front rotors. i have not looked into it very much at all yet, but im going on a 2000km road trip in a couple weeks. need to make sure its nothing else.

Sounds right to me. It's a fairly inexpensive fix, and that's where I would start if it were me.

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it is warped rotors, (which it sounds like it is), i would suggest pulling the wheels and taking apart the caliper slides to inspect them, grease them and if they seem to be hanging up remove the rubber bushing on the slide pins, just be sure to grease them very well. i would do that just to keep the calipers from hanging up at all and causing the rotors to get worse.

NastyKnate

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. and no worries, i always buy good parts. i think the rotors were turned by the dealer that sold it to me. this is why i never turn mine. and ill grease everything.

lautinjr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with turning rotors if they need it. I usually turn them on the car so it keeps the run out to a minium with the rotating assembly. From my experience dealers don't turn rotors.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just an fyi...had the EXACT same problem...swapped out the front rotors, problem gone. i'm guessing it will probably come back, as i was in a pinch and just put the carquest rotors on it. they're on our van also and the van has a mild vibration feel to it, but nowhere near as bad as the jeep was. new rotors are great, but once the front brakes need done again, i'm gonna check out the napa rotors everyone talks about. tired of these cheap chinese junk steel rotors warping.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
they seem to be hanging up remove the rubber bushing on the slide pins, just be sure to grease them very well.

I think this is causing premature break wear on my ol girl...The two caliper pins that have the bushings are tight even after cleaning... anybody have thoughts on removing the rubber bushings ... and reason why I shouldn't?

NastyKnate

Reaction score
i had new rotors put on yesterday. good to go.

and i mentioned i think the dealer just turned them because of the other issues i had. it was supposedly saftied, but, after 4500km of highway driving there was ZERO material left on the rotors, the mech for the parking brake is seized, the shoes for it are gone, and the cable is binding up. it also left the lot with about half pressure in all the tires. keep in mind, i did not drive it before i bought it because i didnt know how to drive stick yet

Latest posts

Members online