Vent Odor Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Copcheck

Reaction score
I've posted a couple times and used some of the advice given, but I'm still having trouble with an odor in my 09 KJ.

It only happens when I used my chest level vents on heat and it smells like a dirty sock for a couple minutes and it goes away. I was advised to try ozium, but that did not have any positive affect.

I also was advised to look for a cabin filter, but my Jeep does not have one.

I've scoured the web trying to find a video or instructions for getting to the vents to clean out any mildew if that's the problem but I cannot find out.

Can anyone point me to something that would help me understand how to get to the vents and clean them?

Thanks

95whtzr2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunno how much help it is, but I had a similar issue with my ram, I started turning the AC off 15 seconds or so before I shut the truck off. My problem went away. I know it's not ideal, but it worked for my ram.

Packdog

Reaction score
I don't really have a good fix for your problem, but I have done this on a few cars that had mild mildew smells. This worked on a couple of cars that had been sitting outside (in the Pacific Northwest where it is wet most of the year) for a few years and were being put back on the road.

I used Lysol in a spray can simply because the can mentioned being anti-bacterial and working on mold/mildew odors. I am sure there are other products out that will work just as well, if not better.

Start the car and turn on the ventilation, fan on the highest setting. If you can take it out of recirculate mode and get it to bring in outside air, that will be best. I usually start with it in air conditioning mode, but it probably doesn't matter since you will need to run it in every mode anyway. While it is running I spray the Lysol into the front cowl, trying to get it as close to the fresh air intake as possible. Spray the Lysol into the cowl with it running in every mode.

I use a lot of the Lysol when I do it. In the worst cases I do this process, wait a few days and do it again, wait a few days and do it again. I have had to do it up to 4 times, which is about how many treatments a can of Lysol will last for me. I am *very* generous with that stuff!

If that doesn't work then you might have something inside the ventilation system (tissues, leaves, whatever) that is absorbing moisture and supporting the mildew. In that case you might try thinking about a way to run dry air through the system in order to dry it out, instead of just spraying more moisture into it. And check the drainage of the cowl, if it is plugged and not letting letting the water drain out it could be part of your problem.

Hope this helps.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no cabin filter but there is a metal "grid" on the firewall behind the glove box...hard to see! This can get blocked from the inside and usually only causes problems on recycle mode but have a look for this grid and use a stiff brush to clean it off....maybe the carpets have gotten a bit damp in that area and the odor is coming from inside.

Bicarbonate of Soda usually absorbs smells , maybe dilute some in water and pour it down into HVAC box somehow!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Good advice by all. ^

You might toss one or two of those Moisture Absorbers under the seats, too. I linked to the huge sized ones but a smaller one under the seats might help. :)

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used a product called Quest Duct Cleaner that I found at AutoZone. It's in a green spray can and is usually found where the AC refill kits are displayed. I spray it into the air outlets along the dash and also the intake grill on the cowl. Here's what it looks like.

The previous owner transported dogs in the KJ and from the smell of the air coming out of the vents when I first got it the dogs were usually wet :pshyco: Pretty disgusting smell on days when I had to run the heater when I first got it. Besides tearing out the seats and the carpet (the interior was covered in short, white hair) I used the duct cleaner to finish things off. That last bit ended up taking care of the last of the problem and the family no longer refers to the KJ as "Stinky."

Bob

Copcheck

Reaction score
Thank you everyone! You guys are great.

When I tried Ozium, I put it on recycle and sprayed it into the grill under the glove box, so maybe it did it wrong. I try it in the cowl from the outside and see if that does.

Again, I appreciate the advice!