Urgent: Front shock / strut question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a 2" lift kit and additional two front Rancho shocks. This is the reply that the dealer has sent:

"...However, those shocks that you have given me a link for will not work with the 2” Lift that you are looking to purchase.. These will only work for a 0” Lift.. I have checked with all of my Suspension Suppliers and they either do not offer a Front Shock for the Liberty or they only make a 0” Lift Shock.. So this will not work.. "

Isn't there something wrong here? On the dealers website, it says "0" lift" for the Rancho shocks. Aren't all shocks supposed to work with a 2" lift?

The dealer is waiting for my answer..So any help is appreciated..

These are the shocks:
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=369&plID=382&partID=56000

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you want the durango shocks. Rancho RSX 17004 shocks for the rear or the rs equivalent.

In another thread tom stated:
97-04 Dakota 4WD
98-03 Durango 4WD

here is the thread I found that

Last edited:

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part Number: RANRS5764
2002-07 KJ Liberty

I am asking if any shocks for the KJ would or would not fit the 2" lift kit??

If the stock shocks fit in the lift kit, then why wouldn't Ranchos??

Last edited:

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one on the right is our factory shock (the 0" lift)
The one on the very left is the shock I listed which is what we use for a 2" lift.

You must be registered for see images

As far as the front, people run the ome coils which claim 1.5" higher than stock with the ranchos with zero problems and if you want more height than that you do a clevis lift or boilers spacer plate.

I am not very well edumacated in this matter, but the jist of it in my knowledge is front=rancho fine for 1.5" lift, rear=durango shocks for 2" lift since the kj replacements are too short

Last edited:

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, the fronts are fine at stock length, it's the rears that need to be extended length.

uctke283

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered a 2" lift kit and additional two front Rancho shocks. This is the reply that the dealer has sent:

"...However, those shocks that you have given me a link for will not work with the 2” Lift that you are looking to purchase.. These will only work for a 0” Lift.. I have checked with all of my Suspension Suppliers and they either do not offer a Front Shock for the Liberty or they only make a 0” Lift Shock.. So this will not work.. "

Isn't there something wrong here? On the dealers website, it says "0" lift" for the Rancho shocks. Aren't all shocks supposed to work with a 2" lift?

The dealer is waiting for my answer..So any help is appreciated..

These are the shocks:

The fronts will be the stock length, in other words, 0" lift.

The rears are to be longer....

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I want to know. My 2" lift kit comes with four springs and 2 REAR SHOCKS. No problem here.

I need two new FRONT SHOCKS which would fit the 2" lift kit.

Dealer says different, but as far as I know, all front shocks DO FIT a 2" lift kit??

Right? I'll buy those Rancho front shocks and the problem will be solved??

I don't understand how the dealer does not know this and sends me the wrong direction once again!!!

Last edited:

Warren.fischbeck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is what I want to know. My 2" lift kit comes with four springs and 2 REAR SHOCKS. No problem here.

I need two new FRONT SHOCKS which would fit the 2" lift kit.

Dealer says different, but as far as I know, all front shocks DO FIT a 2" lift kit??

Right? I'll buy those Rancho front shocks and the problem will be solved??

I don't understand how the dealer does not know this and sends me the wrong direction once again!!!

Are you talking to a parts store or a dealership? The dealership may not be famillar with lifting a Liberty as a parts store or any of the dozen of people here that are lifted.

speedracerbubba

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my bad, i just looked at the pic in the link you posted and didn't read it says front strut on it.
The ranchos will work. On the bds website (which is what I believe the 4wd parts kit is just a rebranding of) it says "This will ensure the maximum amount of wheel travel out of your factory strut".
You can use whatever front strut you want, but most use ranchos.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before this, he told me that they didn't have "struts". Thanks to the members of the forum, I learnt that a front shock and a strut is the same thing for a Liberty.. Then came the 0" lift issue, thanks to you, I se that he's wrong and only wasting my time once again..

Ok..A deep breath and patience...

I'll order these front shocks and the BDS 2" lift kit, ok??

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What lift kit are you getting? Regardless, All the lifts use the same length front shocks. Even the farnkenlift uses the same front shocks. They just add a different top plate that effectively lengthens the shock shaft.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What lift kit are you getting? Regardless, All the lifts use the same length front shocks. Even the farnkenlift uses the same front shocks. They just add a different top plate that effectively lengthens the shock shaft.

I'll get this 2" BDS kit (no front shocks included):
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?jeep-sid=357&plID=60&partID=7001

And these Rancho FRONT SHOCKS in addition.

TexasRock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RS5000 should be fine, that is what jeepinbyal sells. However, it shows the wrong picture. They won't look like they when they arrive.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been dealing with this sh.t for weeks now, and I'm really tired of it. I ordered the above mentioned stuff right now. Also asked for Teraflex front bumpstops(hopelessly). I hope I get them at once and without any more problems.

Thank you everyone, without your help, I couldn't have even ordered the right stuff. If I finally manage to do this lift properly, it will be all because of your generous help.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course. I wonder how long it will take to ship, arrive and install though.

resistance

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I finally ordered and paid for the 2" BDS kit, Rancho front shocks and Teraflex front bumpstops:) As for the rear bumpstops.. Hockey is not a popular sport here, so I'll go and buy two rubber mallots(or only one and cut it in half, I don't know yet;)

The dealer says shocks and bumpstops are not in their stock, so it will take 2-3 weeks for him to get them from the vendor(I don't know why it takes so long). Plus some more time to get them shipped from USA to TURKIYE. I hope I get them before two months.

During installation, I'm also planning to do a clevis lift.