Shocks for lifted KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeVilliers

Reaction score
Hi all,

When I bought the Jeep, one of the things I did was to put a lift kit in and replace the shocks.
The front shocks are shot and did not even do 3000 miles.

Monroes......never again.
I have a kit similar to the one below.
It may be the exact one, but can't remember.

I remember checking if longer shocks are required, and it's not the case.
2 questions:
Why are the shocks shot, with very minimal use, mostly black stuff and a little gravel
What do I replace it with? I can get Bilstein for a reasonable price.

Thanks

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of possibilities. Spacer lifts preload the springs. If the springs are old and shot, then you could be getting a lot of nose dive. If you don’t have the Teraflex extended bump stops, you could be topping out your shocks when that happens, and it could blow them out. Did you install extended bump stops with the lift?

DeVilliers

Reaction score
A couple of possibilities. Spacer lifts preload the springs. If the springs are old and shot, then you could be getting a lot of nose dive. If you don’t have the Teraflex extended bump stops, you could be topping out your shocks when that happens, and it could blow them out. Did you install extended bump stops with the lift?
Hi,
No, I did not. Did not think about it.
How much of an extension?

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Teraflex stops are two inches longer. The part number is down there in my sig. You will need to call them as they are not listed on their website. 801.713.3314 I can’t remember exactly what I paid, maybe $26 for the pair.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Teraflex's longer bumpstops would prevent the shock from bottoming out (i.e. max compression).

I put in Rancho shocks with the slightly stiffer CRD coils.

DeVilliers

Reaction score
Hi all,

New Bilstein shocks are in!
If I ever have to do it again, I'm selling the Jeep :p:D
Took me 11 hours to replace 4 shocks o_O I also replaced the clevis bushes and brake pads so it took some extra time.
I'm waiting for the extended bump stops which will only come later, due to shipping all the way to South Africa.

Members online

No members online now.