Upper Control Arm Options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenegadeKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i finally got the Frankenlift kit for my Renegade. I'm looking to switch out my Upper Control Arms due to my current ones being rather old/worn. However due to budget constraints (Just bought my first home) i can't afford to drop $400 on the JBA ones right now (as much as i'd loved to get them). Are there any other decent "economical" choices? Any input would be great, thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i finally got the Frankenlift kit for my Renegade. I'm looking to switch out my Upper Control Arms due to my current ones being rather old/worn. However due to budget constraints (Just bought my first home) i can't afford to drop $400 on the JBA ones right now (as much as i'd loved to get them). Are there any other decent "economical" choices? Any input would be great, thanks!

Sorry only one way to go unless you want issues. There is another company but their arms to do fit properly. Guy went cheap the other day on another forum and they were too narrow. That company told him just to bend them to fit. Now come on now what reputable company says that
JBA , great warranty, they fit, they work, period

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RRO are the only other options besides OE ...... personally i have no experience with them but you wont hear very many good things about them on this forum all other reviews are very mixed

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
RRO are the only other options besides OE ...... personally i have no experience with them but you wont hear very many good things about them on this forum all other reviews are very mixed

You mean JBA, RRO and OEM right?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
QUOTE;
from jeepforum
libertyordeath8
2003 KJ Liberty

Gallery
Classifieds
My Jeeps
iTrader Rating
Welp. Its official. RRO's guy got back to me, i explained that the 1/8 inch difference in gap wouldn't allow me to install one side on these upper a arms. He promptly informed me "this was not his first rodeo with these" and that i should "brace the arm against some wood, so as not to damage the product, and pull with one arm to widen the control arm"

His words.

He said i can mail it back to him where he would check the specs, and if they were out he'd send me a new one. Im not risking them denying me for having banged on it with a hammer a bit and paying more brokerage.

I filed a 1/16" on each side and crammed it in. I did know better than to order from them. I dont know why i did. I also dont believe i paid 200$ in brokerage when i ordered from JBA, which was a bigger order, but i paid a total of 600$ for these a arms, i dont have a clue why they wouldnt check them before mailing them to me.

If youre reading this, belive me DONT BUY THESE STUPID THINGS!! i promise you they blow. But its my own damn fault. UNQUOTE

Last edited:

RenegadeKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically the options are JBA or OEM? If the prices are even close, i'd obviously get the JBA ones. Like i said, budget is a big concern. I wouldn't even consider to rush it and go with something cheaper, but i need to get my new tires on a.s.a.p! might have to grin and bare it until i can get the JBA ones

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
basically what i was saying is listen to the people on here like tom that know basically all there is to know about kj's and go with JBA

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the RRO arms 40,000km ago. No complaints. Saved $100 vs. JBA.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time when I had a KJ I put stuff from RRO on it. You know, springs, shocks, UCAs. Their products are less than stellar examples of what can be purchased for your Liberty. The springs sagged some fierce and the bushings in the UCAs fell apart. Then I found this forum, did my due diligence and replaced the clapped out Rusty's stuff with JBA's UCAs, OME springs and Rancho shocks. Way way way better quality and durability.

Listen to that Mudd fellow. He speaks the truth.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I've generally got horrible luck.

My unbiased opinion (based on *my* individual experience) of RRO's arms is they've worked exactly as they're supposed to without shortcomings. I have not tried any other RRO suspension products. (I still run a stock coil/strut). A second purchase from RRO... a Powertrax locker, and their die grinder burrs... which I've had no issues with. That's personal experience. No BS. If they're that bad, my horrible luck should have prevailed.

The push on this forum (and a couple other KJ forums) for a specific vendor stinks at times. Is it a function of a small market? or are people getting paid to say what they do? :emotions34:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, I've generally got horrible luck.

My unbiased opinion (based on *my* individual experience) of RRO's arms is they've worked exactly as they're supposed to without shortcomings. I have not tried any other RRO suspension products. (I still run a stock coil/strut). A second purchase from RRO... a Powertrax locker, and their die grinder burrs... which I've had no issues with. That's personal experience. No BS. If they're that bad, my horrible luck should have prevailed.

The push on this forum (and a couple other KJ forums) for a specific vendor stinks at times. Is it a function of a small market? or are people getting paid to say what they do? :emotions34:

Trust me NO ONE gets paid, so saying that one vendor that provides excellent customer service, goes way past what most businesses do to help out a small market like Kjs and KKs stinks when people support them ???????
Now that is the best joke in 2016 so far !
Its not a push, its just backing a manufacturer that sells and makes good parts
Not sure why again that you think that it stinks :shrug::shrug:

One of the reasons for my constant suggesting is I really hate to see friends waste money on inferior parts or businesses that do not do like they should
But maybe thats bad ??

Last edited:

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Prop up whatever brand you like. grouphug.gif

Its the (unwarranted) slamming of other brands that's getting ridiculous. Been forum'ing a long time over the course of modding many vehicles, and the KJ scene takes the cake. :Insane:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time when I had a KJ I put stuff from RRO on it. You know, springs, shocks, UCAs. Their products are less than stellar examples of what can be purchased for your Liberty. The springs sagged some fierce and the bushings in the UCAs fell apart. Then I found this forum, did my due diligence and replaced the clapped out Rusty's stuff with JBA's UCAs, OME springs and Rancho shocks. Way way way better quality and durability.

Listen to that Mudd fellow. He speaks the truth.

Its the (unwarranted) slamming of other brands that's getting ridiculous. Been forum'ing a long time over the course of modding many vehicles, and the KJ scene takes the cake. :Insane:

Does this seem like it wasn't from experience? Does this seem unwarranted? Do you know what it feels like to ride in a vehicle that handles the road well?

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this seem like it wasn't from experience? Does this seem unwarranted? Do you know what it feels like to ride in a vehicle that handles the road well?

I can't speak for RRO's other suspension products... just the UCAs. If he had a failed UCA, or its geometry didn't allow for a proper alignment, then
you could fault the arm. Mine are doing well. No failures or alignment issues. Bushings can be pounded out of anything...

IMO, handling is extremely good... best I've encountered in a conventional RWD/4WD suv. I completed 2500miles of mountain highways over the course of a week earlier this month. A longer wheelbase would be nice, but that's not an easy mod.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Not slamming in my book, just spreading the truth
I hate to have long drawn out responses so right to the point
Heard enough about RRO from close friends even before I got into KJs in 2004

But as long as you are happy, thats all that matters, just hate to see folks waste $$$ on products that do not have a good record
If they are working for you OK, but lots of reports of them not and then RRO arguing with the customer

Thank you and good evening

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online