Upgrading the front Drive Shaft...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flyingwen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I managed to break my front drive shaft. I was wondering what others have done to increase the strength of the front drive shaft. I would have thought for sure that the CV's would have went before the front drive shaft.

This is where it broke:
You must be registered for see images attach

I am thinking of ordering one from tom woods, or having one made locally here at the driveline store down the street. So what are others doing to up the strength of the front drive shaft?

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Convert to U joints
get the shaft and yokes from a salavge yard
IIRC you cane use the yokes from any Jeep
besides 1 with quadra drive
and the shafts from TJ's and XJ's are good
they will need to be cut to length
and you will need new U joints

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Converting to U-Joints also makes it sound, and look more; "Trucky" They should have just done that in the first place, the front shaft well long enough for it. They could have used their infinite wisdom to reduce vibrations.

Also, if you get it done; when getting the shaft cut and welded, it needs balanced.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep that boot cracks after miles andmiles then grease throws out and it running dry. One of thse things no one checks until its too late most times, mine was still good just the boot cracked at 120,000 miles

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
is there anything you can do to preserve the boot?

picking up my rebuilt front driveshaft today... the joint would have been okay, but I didn't catch the worn boot in time... :(

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be willing to bet that the life of a CV style driveshaft extends far beyond that of a u-joint style shaft under normal driving conditions, with much less vibration too. However, the u-joint style shaft is cheaper to fix and generally holds up better offroad.

Flyingwen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd get new CV's. And keep an eye on that rear boot. By the looks of it the rubber dried out and cracked. Then you lost the grease and then the CV broke..

Just what I think. :D

I've seen this and it worked, but he did get some drive line noise.

You must be registered for see images

This is what I am thinking of converting to. Got a local quote at the shop here, balanced, built and installed for $300. Seems like a good deal, they are also going to address the rear too.

m_volyrakis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem and ended up buying an OEM shaft since I couldn't find a shop in my area confident enough to fab one up for me.

Does anybody know where I can get the part in the circle?

You must be registered for see images attach

the one that connects to the front diff,
don't iven know how it's called..:eek:

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I am thinking of converting to. Got a local quote at the shop here, balanced, built and installed for $300. Seems like a good deal, they are also going to address the rear too.
So is he going to build it to fit the stock companion flanges (as pictured above) so you don't have to worry about putting in new yokes etc? If so the price doesn't seem too bad, I paid $90 for a used unit when mine went out (same place, same problem). I think $300 for one that I can work on would be a fair trade.

If you could, PM me the shop you're using. I may just get one made myself in a few weeks.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there anything you can do to preserve the boot?

picking up my rebuilt front driveshaft today... the joint would have been okay, but I didn't catch the worn boot in time... :(

This is my first Jeep, but over the years on other FWD vehicles that I have owned, I spray the CV boots with silicone 1-2 times per year. I'm hoping that it helps....maybe I'm just lucky...:)

Bruce

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
This is my first Jeep, but over the years on other FWD vehicles that I have owned, I spray the CV boots with silicone 1-2 times per year. I'm hoping that it helps....maybe I'm just lucky...:)

Bruce

That's worked for you so far?

Blue KJ in PA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did not catch mine as I did not even take notice to that boot being there the was it curves back and doesn't really stand out like other boots...:eek:

I looked around at getting a ujoint replacement but due to lack of time I just dropped it off at the dealer and they replaced it under the 7/70 "Brand Spankin Used" warranty I got at time of purchase in '04. I figured the original shaft got me 60K miles so I have another 60K miles to figure out the next replacement...although that one probably will cost me more the the $100 this replacement cost me...;)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brucebotti Quote:
Originally Posted by budke
Would spraying wd-40 on the boot keep it moisturized? Maybe help keep it from cracking.

I'm not sure abut WD40. I do know that silicone will keep rubber pliable. It's worked for me so far.
Bruce
Do not apply anything to your CV boots other then soap and water.That stuff just attracts dirt which turns into sandpaper which wears threw the boots faster.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not apply anything to your CV boots other then soap and water.That stuff just attracts dirt which turns into sandpaper which wears threw the boots faster.

Good point. I really haven't had that problem.....but I have done it only on non-Jeep vehicles. This is my first Jeep and I really don't do much off roading.
Bruce

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I haven't done anything other than replace it so far. The original factory part lasted me for 130K+ miles... so maybe this one will do just as well.