Front Drive Shaft Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackBetty

Reaction score
So, I've got a question about the longevity of the stock front driveshaft on a lifted Liberty.

When I received my parts Jeep for my 4x2 > 4x4 conversion, the front driveshaft had failed, so it was not installed on the vehicle. In my infinite wisdom, I installed the rebuilt front driveshaft backward (i.e. diff side on T-case and T-case side to diff). I thought to myself "No need to look up the orientation, this thing can only go in one way! Well wrong...

A few hundred miles in I began to hear a rattling/chain-like noise. I was concerned this was a loose T-case chain, but I found out it was one of the joints on the front drive shaft. I was on my way to a driveshaft shop when boom, one of the joints busted loose at 70 MPH.

Fortunately, everything stayed where it belonged, and there was no other damage to the Jeep. In doing some research I discovered that I had installed the drive shaft backwards. My question is if installing it backwards led to failure at ~1,000 miles on new joints, or if regardless of installation orientation these are just prone to failure on lifted KJs? I rebuilt both ends myself and packed them with plenty of grease. I used the crown joints on both ends.

I'm debating what to do next, so any input on the situation would be much appreciated!

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was because of backwards installation. The lift actually doesn’t affect the front drive shaft angle at all, since the T-case and front diff are both in the same location as stock. (It’s not like on a solid axle where the diff can ride up and down with the axle, changing drive shaft angles.)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
rebuild it, install correctly and go for it
I have one I rebuild on a lifted KJ with over 100,000 on it
Like mentioned any lift does not change angle of the front driveshaft of a KJ

budget76

Reaction score
WHY WAS FROT SHAFT MOVING at 70MPH? I thought you should be in 2WD?

MiloHunter

Reaction score
WHY WAS FROT SHAFT MOVING at 70MPH? I thought you should be in 2WD?
Since the liberty doesn't have manual lockout hubs, the front axle turns full time. This is what I was told. Might check this out with another source. Found out mine was full of crap on other things. Lost all faith in him.

Latest posts

Members online