Upgrading Stock Suspension W/ NO Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Can't add much more than has already been said by Bob and Mudd et al

Just don't forget that the added bonus of the upgraded hardware is longevity ...

cheap = expensive

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I also read people putting 245/75/16's on stock kj's and other having to pound over the pitch weld even with a frankenlift.

I have noticed that not all KJ (front) hubs sit exactly centered (or in the same position) in the wheel well .. which could account for the differences in rub.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I have noticed that not all KJ (front) hubs sit exactly centered (or in the same position) in the wheel well .. which could account for the differences in rub.

This is true.

When I lifted an equivalent (or better) of a Frankenlift height, I didn't have to do anything to the pinch welds.

It wasn't until the 32" tires went on last October that I even had to pay them any attention.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW. Last night on my shift on the engine we got a call for a MVA. Well someone t boned a KJ. No big deal other than totaling a KJ with rene light bar.
But after talking to the owner about his KJ for my mva report he started to tell me all about it becuase I said mine was also a 06.

So here's what he said to the best of my ability to rember a conversation at 3 am on the highway.

So he said that he had a 5.0ho in his jeep. Sure enough he poped the hood and it was stuffed. He also had a manuel ******. With a write up on some turner website.

I was excitied! He had custom gages and aftermarket seats. But here's why I'm posting on here. So he had the extra weight of the v8. He said he had "old man emu" springs in the front and rear. Cool. But this jeep was slammed to the ground. He had cut a few coils off the springs becuase the stock springs sagged out too fast. It was pretty low and he had the wheels tucked pretty good. And had extensive work done to the jeep.

So maybe you could buy the ome springs and cut a coil out....I know some will say no, that's bad, blah blah. But it worked for this guy and has worked for many many many years on other cars. Hell even Gas Monkey Garage do it. It might give you the ride you want with the height of stock.
Were not allowed to take pics for personal use until both parties release statement of release. LEO can take pics all the want but not FD unless its approved by Captian. But I managed to grab guys phone number. Might get with him for pics. And he had liability insurance only so he got it towed home.

You will only be cutting ome springs down to stock height so no mods needed other than to springs themselves.

TLDR: Guy who wrecked had a tuner out KJ that used OME springs that were chopped down. To give a super low ride due to SBF. Pretty cool jeep. No pics due to due regs.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Cutting coils:Insane:
sure it can be done and because they do it on Gas Monkey does not make it right, I mean they are pretty much the laughing stock of the builders right now.
You have to really know where and how to cut, do it the wrong way and you have junk springs sitting there. Other better ways to do it including just buying springs for a lowered Jeep KJ
Ever ride in a car with cut coils? I have, even did it on a 62 Mercury what a terrible ride

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All that I was saying was what I found in the field. I had cut springs on my 64 galaxie a long time ago when I had twin whips on my bumper.

I've never done it. But I know of people who have. It was just a idea. I was more intrested in the SBF.

Last edited:

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've driven plenty of cars "ricers" in my younger days with cut coils. Never had a problem with cut coils. And every car I had with cut coils, I cut myself. Its easy and there's nothing to it. But that was back in my younger days when I didn't mind. I'm alot older now and married with children so saftey first. Lol. I will try and talk her into doin the OME 925/947 and Bilsteins. After they settle it should set just about right I think.

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to update you all, I measured my Wifes KJ's height last night when she got home from work. From the Center Hub To Bottom Of Renegade Bushwacker Style Fender Flares its 18" Front & 19" Rear.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So even going back to stock your gonna get inch lift...my front was at 19 inches stock

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So even going back to stock your gonna get inch lift...my front was at 19 inches stock

That's why I knew if I we went with the heavier weight springs we would be gaining like 3.5" of lift. Because it had already sagged 1" lower. And that would be way to much. The Wife would NOT be happy with that much. So figured the lighter weight springs after settling would only gain us an 1" over stock height so in reality we would gain a total of 2" from were we are now.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That's why I knew if I we went with the heavier weight springs we would be gaining like 3.5" of lift. Because it had already sagged 1" lower. And that would be way to much. The Wife would NOT be happy with that much. So figured the lighter weight springs after settling would only gain us an 1" over stock height so in reality we would gain a total of 2" from were we are now.
Wouldn't really be gaining 3.5 inches since you're lower than stock to begin with.
Not seeing where you're coming up with the amounts you are
but tell you what
the best for you is stock springs and shocks

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I was referring to was that she is happy with the height its at now. So if we went with new stock suspension we would gain an inch from were we are at now. If we upgraded to the 925/947 we would gain the inch back plus an additional inch making it about 2". If we went with the heavier 926 or 927/948 then we would gain the inch back plus another 2-2.5" from the lifted springs making a total of about 3-3.5" from were we are sitting at right now with the sagged old stock suspension. Don't know if I can explain it any better than that.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What I was referring to was that she is happy with the height its at now. So if we went with new stock suspension we would gain an inch from were we are at now. If we upgraded to the 925/947 we would gain the inch back plus an additional inch making it about 2". If we went with the heavier 926 or 927/948 then we would gain the inch back plus another 2-2.5" from the lifted springs making a total of about 3-3.5" from were we are sitting at right now with the sagged old stock suspension. Don't know if I can explain it any better than that.

But you're not reading what some of us are writing
She likes it where it is, an inch lower
so stock would be an inch higher than it is now so we're good so far
925s -926s are going to put you 2 inches above stock so thats 3 inches above where you are now. Now they will settle in some but you're still going to be more than what "you think" she wants
927s would put you 3.5 -3.75 above where you are now
so stock springs and be done
Really what I would do is get it on level ground, measure all 4 wheels and then raise it 3 inches and see what she really thinks. Some will notice a difference others will not

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tom - and will say again: Measure from the center of the hub to the fender flare on all four corners and post them here. That will tells us where you are relative to stock and then be able to tell you within a quarter inch where you'll end up with the various OEM springs - and even factory springs.

Man, if there was only a way to get you and the Mrs. in a Libby with OME springs & good shocks for a test drive. Would give you a great idea what it's like driving one with a comfortable, safe suspension system.

Bob

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have just decided to go with Bilstein Struts & Shocks and New Factory Springs. The Wife refuses to lift her KJ regardless of it only being 1.5"-2.5" of lift. So New factory springs will be better than Old sagging springs, and at least she will be back to stock height but with good Struts & shocks. I'll be ordering New Top plates, New spring isol. Top and bottom and New factory Moog springs from rockauto. And I'll order the Bilstein struts & shocks from shockwearhouse.

Thanks everybody for all the info and suggestions.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you ordering new spring iso and top plates? I'm guessing your going to have the new parts put together as a whole assembly at a shop and change the whole assembly out at home?

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you ordering new spring iso and top plates? I'm guessing your going to have the new parts put together as a whole assembly at a shop and change the whole assembly out at home?

Yep. You guessed correctly. Figured since I'm installing new struts and springs I might as well order new top plates and isol also. That way I can take all the new parts to a shop have them put together and then when I tear apart her KJ I can just swap out the old with the new. Plus id rather be using all new Iso. & top plates instead of her old worn out ones. Her KJ has 160,000 miles on it and its still all the origanl suspension parts so figured it was about time.

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I placed our order last night. Hopefully we will have everything by the end of the week, or beginning of next week.

Also I installed my Wifes new tires over the weekend. I have a tire machine at the house. Now just gotta take and get them the lifetime balance & rotation at the shop down the road from me. Drove it down the highway already and Man what a difference just in tires alone. None of the wheels and tires have any weights on them and the Jeep rides Smooth as glass even up to 65mph. So when I take it to get them balanced i'm sure they won't take hardly any weights at all.

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bilstein Struts & Shocks will be here Today. Tracking info says on truck for delivery by end of day. Whoo Hooo! And Factory New Moog Springs, Rubber Iso.,Top Plate Stut Mounts. Will be here on Friday. According to tracking info. I already have a pretty busy schedule for this weekend. So looks like I won't be able to install them until next weekend. Wifes Libby will be riding great in no time. Lol.