Upgrading Stock Suspension W/ NO Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Bilstein Struts & Shocks will be here Today. Tracking info says on truck for delivery by end of day. Whoo Hooo! And Factory New Moog Springs, Rubber Iso.,Top Plate Stut Mounts. Will be here on Friday. According to tracking info. I already have a pretty busy schedule for this weekend. So looks like I won't be able to install them until next weekend. Wifes Libby will be riding great in no time. Lol.

Riding better than it is currently
"Riding great" on stock weight springs is not possible
But it will be better and suit her.
Just wish you all were closer so she could ride in one with a full spring setup on it
She may of just changed her mind :icon_razz:

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well everything came in last week. I painted her springs silver to match her jeep and put a clear coat on them. Now that they are dry and ok to handle, *been a few days since paint* I'm gonna put the front struts together. Anybody have a writeup on how the front struts go together?

Is it just basically sliding the aluminum coil seat that came with the Bilsteins down over the strut, then installing the New rubber iso, then installing the newly painted spring, then the other new rubber iso for the top of the spring, then the new top plate? I have a washer that came with the new top plate does that go below or on top of the new top plate?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well everything came in last week. I painted her springs silver to match her jeep and put a clear coat on them. Now that they are dry and ok to handle, *been a few days since paint* I'm gonna put the front struts together. Anybody have a writeup on how the front struts go together?

Is it just basically sliding the aluminum coil seat that came with the Bilsteins down over the strut, then installing the New rubber iso, then installing the newly painted spring, then the other new rubber iso for the top of the spring, then the new top plate? I have a washer that came with the new top plate does that go below or on top of the new top plate?

Pretty much it, just get them all in the right location, small indentations on both sides as far as how /where the shock/springs/iso's sit but you'll see all of that

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing i'm concerned about really is a washer that came with the new top plate, does that go on the bottom side or top side of the new top plate were the center strut bolt is?

I'm not pulling the old struts apart since I got all new stuff. Just pulling the strut and spring itself out of her libby then installing the new setup. Just curious about that washer is all.

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my Wifes New Front Suspension sitting in the floor until I can get them put together so I can install them. I painted her new springs silver to match her Libby.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing i'm concerned about really is a washer that came with the new top plate, does that go on the bottom side or top side of the new top plate were the center strut bolt is?

I'm not pulling the old struts apart since I got all new stuff. Just pulling the strut and spring itself out of her libby then installing the new setup. Just curious about that washer is all.

2753-assembled-jba.jpg

2757-red-mark-16-inches-old-vs-top-plate-added-new.jpg

big washer goes on top. ignore the jba top plates since your not running those.

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many Threads should be showing beyond the center nut on the Strut? Because depending on how far down you compress the spring when you tighten the center nut to 20-30 foot pounds, you have so many threads showing pass the nut? So if you compress one spring further than the other the center nut will screw down farther before it gets tension and gets torqued. So my question is what's the rule of thumb for how many threads should be showing after torque?

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure, but I don't think anybody mentioned upper control arms. The stockers are throw-aways with built-in balljoints and are not greasable. If you want an upgrade get JBA or RRO fabricated arms which use a larger, replaceable balljoint with a grease fitting. :icon_wink:

Flotsam

Reaction score
Update???

So, all sorts of advice and recommendations, 7 pages of posts, endless questions and queries, and the instigator provides no conclusion, summary, after-action report or update to the community who helped in this whole process after almost 3 years? Seriously, what was the result? Satisfied? Final lift, if any? Handling? Recommendations?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So, all sorts of advice and recommendations, 7 pages of posts, endless questions and queries, and the instigator provides no conclusion, summary, after-action report or update to the community who helped in this whole process after almost 3 years? Seriously, what was the result? Satisfied? Final lift, if any? Handling? Recommendations?

More than likely came to the conclusion it rode as bad as it did stock so gave up
If thinking of replacing the springs and shocks go aftermarket like OME or Ironman , those two only, no spacer style lifts, nothing else . Either of those will give you a much better ride and handling than it ever was stock

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A wide-track, spacer-lifted KJ handles awesome... compared to a solid-axled cummins truck w/ leaf springs on 4 corners. :ROFLJest:

Dunno what y'all are complaining about :shrug: