Upgrading Stock Suspension W/ NO Lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also if just decide to go Bilstein Struts and Shocks and some Factory New Springs which Bilsteins would be better to get for her Libby. Which would give her the better smoother comfortable ride. The Standard Bilsteins or the Heavy Duty Bilsteins? Or would she get a better ride with OME Struts and Shocks w/ new factory springs. And should they be light duty or heavy duty Struts and Shocks?

Also when looking on JBA's website are his prices Per Shock & Strut or is that the price for a Pair? Say (2) Struts or (2) Shocks?

Last edited:

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also if just decide to go Bilstein Struts and Shocks and some Factory New Springs which Bilsteins would be better to get for her Libby. Which would give her the better smoother comfortable ride. The Standard Bilsteins or the Heavy Duty Bilsteins? Or would she get a better ride with OME Struts and Shocks w/ new factory springs. And should they be light duty or heavy duty Struts and Shocks?

Also when looking on JBA's website are his prices Per Shock & Strut or is that the price for a Pair? Say (2) Struts or (2) Shocks?

they are per shock. most go with the 916 HD Bilsteins as they are the most affordable / quality shock often paired with ome coils.

straight ome shocks also work good, a tad more pricey.

some claim there is a difference in valving, or Goldilocks it a bit, either are infinitely better then what come on it brand new. Having never ridden in a OME / OME or ome/ ranchoRSX setup i can't comment. Its not all ******** but bilsteins do work well / i don't know any better.

I would not go with factory new springs and splurge for the old man emu brand. Iron man is still a pretty viable option, just there isn't much data as to what a straight ironman gives without extras in terms of ride height unless you reverse the math from those that have modified that setup.

Last edited:

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are per shock. most go with the 916 HD Bilsteins as they are the most affordable / quality shock often paired with ome coils.

straight ome shocks also work good, a tad more pricey.

some claim there is a difference in valving, or Goldilocks it a bit, either are infinitely better then what come on it brand new. Having never ridden in a OME / OME or ome/ ranchoRSX setup i can't comment. Its not all ******** but bilsteins do work well / i don't know any better.

I would not go with factory new springs and splurge for the old man emu brand. Iron man is still a pretty viable option, just there isn't much data as to what a straight ironman gives without extras in terms of ride height unless you reverse the math from those that have modified that setup.

Well here's my dilemma by what I've been seeing as I read other threads on here and from what some have replied here, even thoughhave OME claim only 1.5" lift people have stated the gained closer to 2.5" of lift after installation. That will be too much, my Wife isn't looking for any lift. She wants to stay stock height. I wish I could convince here to lift her Libby but she refuses to go for it. So here's what I found I can do.

(1) go with all New Stock Equipment. I can get Brand new Fully Assembled Front Struts w/springs, new isol. Top and bottom, & new top plates. Ready to go. Moog Part #'s ST8565L & ST8565R and then also buy New Factory rear springs Moog Part# 81057 and also get New rear KYB GR2 shocks Part# 344404 all for $381.15 plus shipping from Rockauto.com

(2) Go with Ranch RS9000XL Front Struts Part#RS999764 and Rear Shocks Part#RS999284
And then go with New Factory Moog Springs Front Part#81136 and Rear Part#81057 and reuse isol. And top plates. All for 577.94 from Rockauto.com

(3) Go with OME Struts & Shocks and Factory Moog Springs. Haven't looked up the OME part #'s yet.

(4) Go with Bilstein Struts & Shocks and Factory Moog Springs. Haven't looked up the Bilstein part #'s yet.

So those are my decisions, As of now.

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
925 ome springs will not give you the 2.5 inches. same goes for rear 947. they are light and will not boost you up much, the livable inch we talked about earlier.

The 2.5 inches come from top plate spacers of 0.25 inches or 0.375 and the addition of clevis lifts(0.375 ") with conduit nuts.

The majority of us are running 927 HD front springs plus those spacers top and bottom to get the 2.5 - 3.5 inches. If you do the straight up kit with light duty springs you will not be at our height. Not what i'm recommending for your ride.

ome light springs front and rear and be done. shocks, your choice.

expensive shocks on cheap springs won't help. incrementally better then good shocks on worn out stock springs, they will work very hard till they die.

Otherwise if your dead set on stock height, go with option 1. Its cheap and will satisfy the wife, but will not ride as well as what we are running.

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
925 ome springs will not give you the 2.5 inches. same goes for rear 947. they are light and will not boost you up much, the livable inch we talked about earlier.

The 2.5 inches come from top plate spacers of 0.25 inches or 0.375 and the addition of clevis lifts(0.375 ") with conduit nuts.

The majority of us are running 927 HD front springs plus those spacers top and bottom to get the 2.5 - 3.5 inches. If you do the straight up kit with light duty springs you will not be at our height. Not what i'm recommending for your ride.

ome light springs front and rear and be done. shocks, your choice.

expensive shocks on cheap springs won't help. incrementally better then good shocks on worn out stock springs, they will work very hard till they die.

Otherwise if your dead set on stock height, go with option 1. Its cheap and will satisfy the wife, but will not ride as well as what we are running.

Ok so OME 925's front & 947's rear will net approximately 1" lift over stock cause they are the "Light" Duty spings does it matter which Struts or Shocks. Do they make them in a Light duty or Heavy duty? And what's your preference 1 vs the other on The Better riding struts and shocks?

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shocks, it truely doesn't not matter what shocks you pick as they are all the same length.

I would pick either the ome or the bilsteins.

The HD bilsteins are what i use, they are well suited.

All Part number are on this link:
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/lift-faq-read-before-asking-questions-47137/

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/accessorizeYourRig/jeepLibertyKJ.pdf

Front :
OME light Duty coils part number 2925
either
OME 130
or Bilstein Heavy Duty Series (BE5-D916-H0) Front (24-139168)

Rear
OME light Duty coils part number 2947
either
OME 132
or Bilstein Heavy Duty Series (BE5-D917-H0) Rear (24-139175)

Essex Distributors - Bilstein Shock Absorbers

Canadian website, listing bilstein part numbers for unlifted / minimalist lifted Jeeps.

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. It is Much Appreciated. Now that I got a bunch of info, time to sit down and talk to the Wife. After all it is Her KJ she is the one that daily drives it. Since it stays 99.9% of its life on the Highway and city to back roads. She will most likely just want to go with what ever is cheapest. Lol. I'll see what I can talk her into. Besides I've Dumped ALOT of Sweat and Money in the XJ, so she might not want to do the same with her KJ since it stays on the road.

Prices I have so far.

Replacing with all New Moog Stock Equipment $381.15 plus shipping from rockauto

Replacing with all New Moog Springs front & rear and using Bilstein (BE5-D916-HO) Front (24-139168) Bilstein (BE5-D917-HO) Rear (24-139175) around $448.74 plus shipping from rockauto & JeepingByAl

Replacing with all New Moog Springs front & rear and using Rancho RS9000XL Struts & Shocks around $577.94 from rockauto

Replacing with OME 925/947 springs and OME NS130/N132 $750 plus shipping from JeepingByAl

Replacing with OME 925/947 springs and Bilstein (BE5-D916-HO) Front (24-139168) Bilstein (BE5-D917-HO) Rear (24-139175) around $690 plus shipping from JeepingByAl

Replacing with OME 925/947 springs and Ironman Struts & Shocks around $770 plus shipping from JeepingByAl

Also if the Wife decides Not to upgrade to OME or Bilestins and only wants Factory equipment back on Which would be better to get the Moog complete Strut/Spring Assembly and Moog Rear springs or get the Monroe complete Strut/Spring assembly and Monroe rear springs? Or is there any real difference between those two brands at all and it wouldn't matter which?

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've missed some of the party here but if I can chime in...

Hard for many to believe who haven't ridden in a Liberty with OME or Ironman springs and good quality shocks...But the ride is TRULY better than stock. Much more comfortable, stable and secure.

My wife didn't believe that the Jeep would ride any better with the upgrade but as soon as she rode in it after the new springs & shocks she commented about the improvement. The old suspension would bottom out over any set of railroad tracks or dips in the road - very harsh especially if there were four people in it.

The OME/Bilstein combo I have is very smooth and controlled - and about 3.25" over stock height. But I made it that way on purpose.

What we need is your current height measured from the center of the hub to the fender flare. With just the springs and no additional top plates or isolators I reckon you would be at around 20 inches from the center of the hub to the fender flare in the front - only an inch or so over the way it came out of the factory. What casual drivers don't realize with suspensions is that it erodes slowly over time until one day it is just total crap - it's worn out. Put the new, fresh components in and it's like a brand new vehicle.

I can tell you honestly your wife's Liberty will be a safer, more secure vehicle with an upgraded suspension like an OME or Ironman.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. It is Much Appreciated. Now that I got a bunch of info, time to sit down and talk to the Wife. After all it is Her KJ she is the one that daily drives it. Since it stays 99.9% of its life on the Highway and city to back roads. She will most likely just want to go with what ever is cheapest. Lol. I'll see what I can talk her into. Besides I've Dumped ALOT of Sweat and Money in the XJ, so she might not want to do the same with her KJ since it stays on the road.
The above is what gets me laughing every time I read someone wanting replace their suspension. Its like "I don't care what it rides like on the highway" What??? Thats where most all of us end up 90% of the time and WANT a better ride, think about it for a while
I'd do the light duty OME springs and either OME or Bilstein shocks, have installed and ridden in ones equipped with both. I would not buy the Rancho RS line, they have cheaped out and :badidea: IMO.
The Ironman just by itself with their shocks will also give you a great ride, way better than replacing with stock junk springs. I would never go and install the same springs that were installed from the factory. I removed mine with 20,000 miles and the ride over potholes/railroad tracks was 100 times better. Even took care of the nose diving they all have when braking.
UPGRADE the suspension and she'll be happier, replace with the same and :mfr_omg:

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The above is what gets me laughing every time I read someone wanting replace their suspension. Its like "I don't care what it rides like on the highway" What??? Thats where most all of us end up 90% of the time and WANT a better ride, think about it for a while
I'd do the light duty OME springs and either OME or Bilstein shocks, have installed and ridden in ones equipped with both. I would not buy the Rancho RS line, they have cheaped out and :badidea: IMO.
The Ironman just by itself with their shocks will also give you a great ride, way better than replacing with stock junk springs. I would never go and install the same springs that were installed from the factory. I removed mine with 20,000 miles and the ride over potholes/railroad tracks was 100 times better. Even took care of the nose diving they all have when braking.
UPGRADE the suspension and she'll be happier, replace with the same and :mfr_omg:

Lol. I understand what your saying. I upgraded my XJ with nothing but better than stock parts. And the ride improved tremendously. Plus its lifted.

I'm trying to teach my Wife the same thing with her KJ. But unfortunately her not being able to ride in a another Libby with the better suspension she just won't understand how much better her Libby can be. So hopefully I can talk her into it. I'd much rather be installing better parts that will last than installing factory parts that won't.

But it is HER KJ after all and SHE is the one that drives it NOT ME! Lol. So its what she wants after all. I'm just merely trying to open her options and let her know what is better to go with and what is stock. I'm gonna try and PUSH the OME 925/947 springs with Bilstein Struts & Shocks since it will ride the same as OME/OME but be a little cheaper on the wallet. But we will see. I'll also post up her measurements from center of Hub to bottom of Fender when she gets home from work so y'all can see what were working with.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol. I understand what your saying. I upgraded my XJ with nothing but better than stock parts. And the ride improved tremendously. Plus its lifted.

I'm trying to teach my Wife the same thing with her KJ. But unfortunately her not being able to ride in a another Libby with the better suspension she just won't understand how much better her Libby can be. So hopefully I can talk her into it. I'd much rather be installing better parts that will last than installing factory parts that won't.

But it is HER KJ after all and SHE is the one that drives it NOT ME! Lol. So its what she wants after all. I'm just merely trying to open her options and let her know what is better to go with and what is stock. I'm gonna try and PUSH the OME 925/947 springs with Bilstein Struts & Shocks since it will ride the same as OME/OME but be a little cheaper on the wallet. But we will see. I'll also post up her measurements from center of Hub to bottom of Fender when she gets home from work so y'all can see what were working with.

Whos paying for it? You or her? If it's you I'd just get the OME or Ironman and be done with it. If it's her paying for it then just try your best to talk her into it.

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whos paying for it? You or her? If it's you I'd just get the OME or Ironman and be done with it. If it's her paying for it then just try your best to talk her into it.

Well we are married so we are both paying for it Lol. But its her Libby so Its what she wants. I can only try and talk in the right direction is all.

Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes hello, my name is Tony. I recently bought my Wife a Stock 04 Liberty Renegade about a year and a half ago. Her stock Suspension has about had it. Struts and shocks are pretty much done and springs are sagging. I just recently bought some New 225/75/16 Duratracs for her Libby. But am also looking to upgrade her suspension with much better parts. She Does NOT want any Lift. So this needs to stay stock height or as close to stock height if possible.

My questions are which Struts & Shocks should I go with & should I just replace with NEW factory springs or are there any better springs to replace with that offer NO to Little Lift?

Man I've been in the same boat for over a year and I've just chose to do nothing because I cant make up my mind. I think I'm leaning toward the OME 925/947 springs with Bilstein Shocks route and 225/75/16 Duratracs. It just hurts knowing I can bigger and taller for the same $$. But its a slippery slope, then comes A-arms to get a proper alignment. And then comes 4:10's to make up the power and mpg lost and ****** shifting issues.

Mines at 21.5 inches all way around....so over stock "19 inches" I got 2.5 inches over stock. Its pretty tall and I didn't even add anything extra to it.

Your running just Iron-man Spring and Shocks? What size tires are you running? Do you have any pictures?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Man I've been in the same boat for over a year and I've just chose to do nothing because I cant make up my mind. I think I'm leaning toward the OME 925/947 springs with Bilstein Shocks route and 225/75/16 Duratracs. It just hurts knowing I can bigger and taller for the same $$. But its a slippery slope, then comes A-arms to get a proper alignment. And then comes 4:10's to make up the power and mpg lost and ****** shifting issues.

Your running just Iron-man Spring and Shocks? What size tires are you running? Do you have any pictures?

Cop out :rofl:
You don't have to regear unless you get to 31s/32s
You don't need UCAs unless you get into the 3.5-4 inch then you can still run most times
I would never go 925s on anyone's, 926s yes and would always go 948s in the rear just for the carrying capacity

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would never go 925s on anyone's, 926s yes and would always go 948s in the rear just for the carrying capacity

Well you have to remember what the person is asking about or looking for. Like I have been saying my Wife DOES NOT WANT ANY LIFT. I'm just tying to be able to upgrade over stock but stay little to no lift as possible. So with what I was told from other members on here is that the OME 925/947 springs with Bilsteins is the way to go about doing it. The Lighter 925/947 springs should settle down further and be closest to stock over the stiffer 926 or HD 927 or stiffer 928 rears.

Now if she didn't mind it being lifted then yes I would go with the better 926 or 927/948 But for what she's wanting the 925/947 is all she needs.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But the difference between the 925s and 926s as far as height is not that much if any
I DO understand the wanting no lift per se but getting the most out of your money is also something to look at

Last edited:

aquickmopar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But the 926's are a heavier weighted spring over the 925's so that would be a little more stiffer thus after installation and after so many miles when they settle in the 926's would probably net a little more height over the 925's. The 925's are a lighter weight spring that are actually pretty close to stock weight capcity so after they settle it would probably be pretty close to stock height maybe 1" more at the most over stock height. That's why I think the 925's would be a better alternative over the 926's or 927's for our application in which we are trying to achieve.

Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cop out :rofl:
You don't have to regear unless you get to 31s/32s
You don't need UCAs unless you get into the 3.5-4 inch then you can still run most times

Ha ha I'm still on the fence and little persuasion like that and I'll change my mind. The hardest part is different stories form different people. Someone was claiming their transmission was hunting for gears with 245/75/16, but you say it will be fine (I trust you). I also read people putting 245/75/16's on stock kj's and other having to pound over the pitch weld even with a frankenlift.

Tom- how do you feel about 245/75/16's with just iron-man springs and shocks?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But the 926's are a heavier weighted spring over the 925's so that would be a little more stiffer thus after installation and after so many miles when they settle in the 926's would probably net a little more height over the 925's. The 925's are a lighter weight spring that are actually pretty close to stock weight capcity so after they settle it would probably be pretty close to stock height maybe 1" more at the most over stock height. That's why I think the 925's would be a better alternative over the 926's or 927's for our application in which we are trying to achieve.

Its all up to you in the end, I know what the spring rates are trust me posted them enough times over the past nine years
I just know from experience is all nothing more

Latest posts