Ummm.....where are the spark plugs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so this is purdy embarassing. I'm not dense, and yes, I know what they look like (I've changed plenty in other vehicles...)but.....
Where are the spark plugs in the Libby???

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed mine last week. You have to take the air tube and the air resonator off first. Then you'll see the six coil packs sitting on the top of the engine, by the valve covers. Unplug the coil pack wire and then remove the 10 mm nut that holds the coil pack on. Pull the coil pack straight up, and the spark plug will be underneath. To get to the back plug on the passenger side, I removed the coolant bottle to gain better access.

2003KJ

Reaction score
I just changed mine last week. You have to take the air tube and the air resonator off first. Then you'll see the six coil packs sitting on the top of the engine, by the valve covers. Unplug the coil pack wire and then remove the 10 mm nut that holds the coil pack on. Pull the coil pack straight up, and the spark plug will be underneath. To get to the back plug on the passenger side, I removed the coolant bottle to gain better access.

Just a note, if you have a long enough extension, you can get to the #6 plug in the way back, with out removing the coolant bottle. I was fortunate enough to be able to do so. Just be careful on the middle plug on the passenger side. If its stuck on, don't go crazy getting it off....otherwise you might accidentally snap the yellow handle clear off of your oil dip stick, like I did. Then you'd have to order another one from the dealer, and cross drill the old one out, all while not getting chunks of yellow plastic going down the tube. It was LOADS of fun, lemme tell ya.

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a note, if you have a long enough extension, you can get to the #6 plug in the way back, with out removing the coolant bottle. I was fortunate enough to be able to do so. Just be careful on the middle plug on the passenger side. If its stuck on, don't go crazy getting it off....otherwise you might accidentally snap the yellow handle clear off of your oil dip stick, like I did. Then you'd have to order another one from the dealer, and cross drill the old one out, all while not getting chunks of yellow plastic going down the tube. It was LOADS of fun, lemme tell ya.

My socket got stuck down in the spark plug well on plug # 6. I fought with it forever before I got my socket back. I almost wound up with a 5 cylinder Liberty...

2003KJ

Reaction score
My socket got stuck down in the spark plug well on plug # 6. I fought with it forever before I got my socket back. I almost wound up with a 5 cylinder Liberty...

I almost wound up with not being able to check my oil level again....LOL

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the How-To: (5) Carefully pull up coil from cylinder head opening with a slight twisting action.

You have to pull the ignition coil WHILE twisting. If you just pull on the coil nothing will happen, and you'll probably end up breaking.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The passenger side is such a pain. However, I was fortunate not to take off everything since I had a long socket and a swivel head :) .... What plugs are you looking to go with?

RAYMAN1007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i bought autolite single platinums from advance auto parts. i havent put them on yet, because i opened the hood and im like wheres the plugs? lol i figured they were under the grey packs. i just never did a individual coil spark plug replacement before

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
i bought autolite single platinums from advance auto parts. i havent put them on yet, because i opened the hood and im like wheres the plugs? lol i figured they were under the grey packs. i just never did a individual coil spark plug replacement before
Believe me, it's much easier. So nice not having to mark wires....

JC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess it's a little late for me now, but any preferences on brands or types? When I bought mine at the parts store, the guy rattled off what seemed like at least 10 options. I asked him what he recommended, and he emphatically said " I ALWAYS recommend Champion for Mopars!" So I asked him why that was and he responded with "dunno...". So much for expert advice.

Tokyojoe1965

Full Access Member
Reaction score
JC.....avoid that guy like the plague.

I am surprised nobody posted an engine picture with arrows pointing at the plugs.

Go to www.partsamerica.com and plug in your vehicle info and it will give you a list of plugs that will fit the KJ.

Last edited:

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bout time to change the plugs on both of my vehicles. Really looking forward to 16 plugs x $8 on that f-in HEMI... :(

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bout time to change the plugs on both of my vehicles. Really looking forward to 16 plugs x $8 on that f-in HEMI... :(

16? does the hemi have two plugs per cylinder? Thats news to me! Cant wait till the time comes to change ours! (insert smilie here)

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
16? does the hemi have two plugs per cylinder? Thats news to me! Cant wait till the time comes to change ours! (insert smilie here)
The Hemi and the new 290HP 4.7L both have two spark plugs per cylinder. Something about lowering emissions and increasing gas mileage, lol.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yes, two per cylinder and I use premium plugs so this is going to be a $100+ change out.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, I had not idea our hemi had two plugs. Does it use the same coil for both plugs on each cylinder? Ive looked it over fairly well and believe I only saw 8 coils.