Transmission starts in drive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03jeepkj

Reaction score
Trasmission starts in drive rather than 1st

My 03 Liberty 3.7 4x4 will sometimes start out in drive. If it is shifted into park and back it will work correctly. If does not work if shifted into neutral. It has about 90k the trans fluid is good and at the correct level. The transmission works fine other than this. Thanks for time.

I need to clairify my original post in that the Jeep will attempt move from a start in third rather than first and moving it into park fixes the issue.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya Im wondering if it could be the Park neutral position switch or maybe an out of adjustment park interlock cable... I am going to let other's chime in on this one. It should not start in drive.
Main part is the brake Transmission Shift Interlock or BTSI.
The gear shift cable & park cables have to be adjusted properly to shift out of park. There is an adjustment for the BTSI cable , I am not sure how you could get into drive and have it start..hmm..
Edit- by the way the park neutral switch is not suppose to allow you to start unless it is in a neutral position- ie park or neutral.
Apparently it is located, installed in series, between the starter relay coil ground terminal and ground.

Last edited:

03jeepkj

Reaction score
Ya Im wondering if it could be the Park neutral position switch or maybe an out of adjustment park interlock cable... I am going to let other's chime in on this one. It should not start in drive.
Main part is the brake Transmission Shift Interlock or BTSI.
The gear shift cable & park cables have to be adjusted properly to shift out of park. There is an adjustment for the BTSI cable , I am not sure how you could get into drive and have it start..hmm..
Edit- by the way the park neutral switch is not suppose to allow you to start unless it is in a neutral position- ie park or neutral.
Apparently it is located, installed in series, between the starter relay coil ground terminal and ground.

I guess i need to clairify my original post in that the transmission will attempt move from a start in third rather than first and moving it into park fixes the issue.