Transmission or Torque Converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...I was driving home from dropping my friend off at the train station today. I was going a steady 30mph with my foot keeping the same pressure on the gas. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, but Jeep decides to drop shift and head up to about redline RPMs for like 3 seconds. She then proceeds to clunk a few times. So I let off the gas, and re-applied the gas, and she clunked back into slightly normal operation. The only problem now, is that she now clunks almost EVERY time she goes into OD. This was a few days after putting in Dr. ****** Shudder Fixx, which was OKed by my transmission guy. Anyone have ANY clue what the heck that could have been? I'm not getting any codes whatsoever. And now I'm concerned that something's gonna break. :disgust: Basically, I wanna figure out if I should replace something, and if so, is it gonna be something in the Transmission or is it going to be the Torque Converter?

Any input would be appreciated! :) Anyone have this problem before?

Thanks all!

Also - She's an '04 and I assume she's got a 42RLE.

Last edited:

GTF

Reaction score
Can't help you much with a diagnosis on that one.

I did however have a transmission guy once tell me that once a person decides that something like a transmission additive is needed to fix a transmission problem, there is already something going wrong there and the additive isn't going to help.

Maybe you should take it to the transmission guy that told you that the additive was a good idea. Why did you think it was necessary in the first place anyway?

Sorry couldn't be more help.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't help you much with a diagnosis on that one.

I did however have a transmission guy once tell me that once a person decides that something like a transmission additive is needed to fix a transmission problem, there is already something going wrong there and the additive isn't going to help.

Maybe you should take it to the transmission guy that told you that the additive was a good idea. Why did you think it was necessary in the first place anyway?

Sorry couldn't be more help.

Eh torque converter shudder. It's either the additive for 7 bucks or the torque converter replacement for $400. What would you choose? XD Plus I just got a fluid change in January, so I wasn't gonna try to change the fluid again.

It was only a few ounces of additive, so I don't think that was the cause. I'm going to just keep monitoring. The shudder seemed to have been going away, until today. Oh well. Time will tell...It was literally the weirdest issue I've ever seen 0.o And I was more curious to see if it's happened with anyone else!

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
all i know is, never put in anything other than atf+4 in the liberty transmission. flush it and change the screen and see what happens.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The additive is what is your issue.Go straight to the dealership and get a trans flush done and the filter changed ASAP before anymore damage is done to your trans,it maybe to late already so expect the worst and about a $3000 bill for a new trans over a $7 bottle of additive recommended by someone who has no clue.

This is why Chrysler took away most trans dispsticks,owners and independant shops were adding the wrong ATF and additives frying the trans.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The additive is what is your issue.Go straight to the dealership and get a trans flush done and the filter changed ASAP before anymore damage is done to your trans,it maybe to late already so expect the worst and about a $3000 bill for a new trans over a $7 bottle of additive recommended by someone who has no clue.

This is why Chrysler took away most trans dispsticks,owners and independant shops were adding the wrong ATF and additives frying the trans.

I'm just gonna call him up and confirm what he used. I've never seen ANYTHING about the additive doing ANY damage whatsoever. Especially only a 2 oz bottle. The worst review I've seen is that it does nothing. The torque converter itself probably caused the issue. I just need to make sure I can get it resolved before the torque converter starts breaking down into my transmission...