Torque Converter Brands?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DakMack

Reaction score
05 KJ 3.7L AUTO 4x4 at 218k
42RLE TM and NV/NP231-J TC
Torque Converter 22spline / 10.75”

Looking for any info on Manufactures of Torque Converters and luck you’ve had?
Napa offers Pro-King $182
AZ offers TC by Dacco $182
Can afford Mopar atm
Unsure of other brands

INFO: Shudder has developed, shifting is great otherwise but TM is pulled, on the bench and getting new seals, gaskets, filter, steels and fibers etc

TC is getting new seal kit, chain and pump while it’s out also

I do pull a trailer and haul a decent amount if that changes any recommendations. Thanks in advance!!

DakMack

Reaction score
I appreciate you reaching out @LibertyTC

I did a filter change and fresh 4 qts or so from dropping pan and also tried the lube gard shudder fix and it worsened my scenario.

My clutches are glazed over so I’m down to replacing the converter and after input to manufacturers etc.

Also, I had P0700 and P0740 codes and my lockup has been horrible. 300 rpm flutter / pulsating with horrible shudder with OD in or out. Also, she’s already tore apart lol

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
The CRD KJs tend to eat their torque converters. The jeepchryslerfiatmercedesbenzdaimlervmmotori solution was the "F37" reprogram that reduced torque, fuel mileage, and customer satisfaction.

The customer solutions have included stronger torque converters from euro-spec KJs, hemi trucks, and the Suncoast torque converters. A new pump and Trans-go shift kit are usually added. Mine, a 545RFE, only shuddered a little bit occasionally so I haven't had to do anything to mine.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya trans clutches & torque converter... Idk but some may opt for a complete rebuild in cases like this.

DakMack

Reaction score
Thanks @turblediesel I’ll look into the suncoast and I did hear about the flash I suppose you would call it. I’d like to have that done at my local dealership once back together.

DakMack

Reaction score
@LibertyTC I considered a reman transmission but I’m able bodied so I decided to jump in.

My kit did come with new clutche packs, piston and accumulator covers, seals, gaskets, o-rings and steels so hopefully it’ll do the trick.

And purchasing a new Torque Converter also. But time will tell then.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Thanks @turblediesel I’ll look into the suncoast and I did hear about the flash I suppose you would call it. I’d like to have that done at my local dealership once back together.
The "flash" was for the diesel Libertys only due to the extra torque "shuddering" torque converters apart. It was a dealer band-aid, cheaper than putting a new torque converter in every diesel Liberty. Nothing anybody really wanted.

Didn't mean to confuse with an apples and oranges comparison between diesels and gassers; or RLE and RFEs... bananas and grapes.

DakMack

Reaction score
That’s alright. I found that when I looked it up and apparently they swapped some out with the same TC then an upgraded one along with that flash.

DakMack

Reaction score
Does anybody happen to know why my shaft out of my Transmission oil pump going into the converter and the converter both are 27 spline and all replacement torque converter read 22 spline for my KJ or 29 for other model KJ’s?? (Inside the converter has 3 ridges of 8 which would be 24 and 3 gaps which would bring it to 27 to match input shaft of 27 also)

DakMack

Reaction score
I figured this out btw. There’s a deeper set of splines (smallest/deepest setting shaft) that counts 22 ridges and 21 valleys. Therefore, I am good to go minus which brand TQC to go with. Thanks all!!