Transmission Error Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goat257

Reaction score
Hi,

The check engine light on my '12 Liberty came on yesterday. The codes that were pulled were P0734 (gear 4 incorrect ratio,) P1790 (malfunction immediately after shift,) P0882 (TCM power input signal low,) followed by another P0734, a P0882, and two more P0734s. I've recently noticed some hesitation and clunking when it shifts gears.

Since the fluid level can't readily be checked (and I assume that it should be OK since there haven't been any leaks,) are there any suggestions on what to do other than d/cing the battery for a reset and doing a relearn? Also, where is the TCM located on the '12 so I can check for any loose connections? Going to at least try this before heading to the dealer.

Thanks for your help!

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya the ole missing dipstick..How many miles are on this Jeep?
Has the trans ever been serviced by dealer?
I wish I could answer your questions too, I have no access to all data or FSM.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can find a way to add a transmission dipstick, you can check your fluid level. Sounds like you may have low fluid, causing the ****** to throw codes. If its not the fluid level you will need to get access to a factory service manual to problem solve from there.

goat257

Reaction score
55,500 miles. Never had transmission service. I tried the relearn, but it's still doing the same thing, although the check engine light did turn off. It's due for state inspection so I guess I'll have the dealer take a look. Should just make it under the 5 year powetrain warranty.

goat257

Reaction score
Update

On the way home from work last week, in the middle of an interstate highway, the transmission finally died. It would slip completely out of gear and the RPMs would shoot up into the red area. Once I backed off the accelerator, it would kick into a lower gear and catch again, but I'd have to keep it floored to keep moving. After 4 or 5 more times of this, it finally locked into 2nd gear (limp mode?) but I was able to make it about 15 miles to a dealer at about 35 MPH. Fluid was black and had a burnt odor. Not the first time they've seen this with this particular ******, but mine was one of the worse ones. Luckily it was still under warranty and I'll be getting it repaired at no cost.