Brakes engage intermittently ESC light flashes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thespeedshop

Reaction score
Car is 2006 Jeep liberty, owner hit debris in the road that punctured r/f tire. Full size spare was put on but now brakes engage randomly even when she’s not braking. When this happens the electronic stability control light flashes and there is a “groaning noise” coming from the front left. No codes. Car recently had new speed censors put on (about thirty days). Thirty hours into this problem a U0002 CAN Communication issue came up but quickly went away within a couple of hours without me clearing it.
I am new to most of this but…
-battery is good. visually inspected the speed sensors and the connectors. Live data confirms they’re working. ABS pump feed voltage reads 0 but activating it via scan tool it seems to be functioning. Once I got the U0002 I checked the harness for any signs of damage but am not seeing any. Any help with troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.
Edit: live data suggest steering angle sensor is functioning.
On wheel speed sensor data there is one that is different but only by about .5 mph not sure if this is relevant

Last edited:

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
The noise might be the ABS system operating. It’s surprisingly loud in mine, compared to my old Subie.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I chased an issue like this for a long time. I had new ABS sensors with my hubs. I eventually changed them out for higher quality sensors up front and it fixed the problem. If one is off a little get rid of that one and swap it out. I will have to look and see what brand I went with. I paid a little more for the sensors to not replace with more crap. My hubs were SKS from rock Auto.

Thespeedshop

Reaction score
It was actually good after the sensors got replaced. The popped tire seem to be the beginning of her issues. As far as the noise it does sound like something activating but it doesn’t sound happy and it’s a different sound that when I activate the pump with a scanner. With that said the abs is located right where it the sound seems to originate.

seafish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check the tire pressure in the spare that you put on??

If it is much different then the other tires, then the ABS on that wheel will be sensing a different speed and might be activating the module.

Last edited:

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My new hubs came with brand new sensors. They too were good for a little while.

Keep investigating other issues and hopefully you will find it.

Swap the tires around and see what happens

Thespeedshop

Reaction score
I did air up the spare. I hadnt considered swapping the tires around im going to give it a shot. if anything new comes up ill post it

Members online

No members online now.