Transfer case

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curtis

Reaction score
Has anyone put a nv241or transfer case in a liberty? Also what is likely to break if you put a locker in stock front differential?

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you put a locker in the front differential the differential case itself will crack because it is aluminum which is a soft metal.

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that actually true, though? I thought it was the sudden transfer of torque from side-to-side that would break the front. Like, for instance, when one wheel is spinning and suddenly gets traction, like it does in an open diff. I want to say I remember reading that putting a locker would actually make the diff less likely to grenade.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is that actually true, though? I thought it was the sudden transfer of torque from side-to-side that would break the front. Like, for instance, when one wheel is spinning and suddenly gets traction, like it does in an open diff. I want to say I remember reading that putting a locker would actually make the diff less likely to grenade.

^^^That^^^^

Blown front diffs are almost always a result of sudden increases in traction. A (proper) locker will help avoid the "grenading" of the aluminum front diff.

The best locker option is a selectable locker like an air-actuated ARB or e-locker from Eaton. Engage it when you need it, disengage it when you don't.

A lunchbox locker like Lok-Rite, PowerTrax, Aussie, etc. will NOT work on the front diff with a 242 or full time SelecTrac transfer case. You could put one of those lockers in the Liberty's front diff if you have a CommandTrac or part time T-case but I would think the potential for binding would be more of a hassle than it's worth. Those lunchbox lockers will work in the rear diff though.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you put a locker in the front differential the differential case itself will crack because it is aluminum which is a soft metal.

Wrong
If you install a locker in the front it will actually help the front diff from exploding when you start spinning and suddenly catches

curtis

Reaction score
Plan is to put Detroit locker in front with the nv241 transfer case (4 to 1 ). -opinions.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What transfer case and transmission do you have? Do you have a NP231 T-Case? Why do you want to change? For the range?

curtis

Reaction score
Np231 low gear is 2.72 and the nv241 is 4.1 which is a big difference.trans is 42led.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also what is likely to break if you put a locker in stock front differential?

Powertrax in the front here... over 40,000km and no breakage. It does add some quirks - only in 4wd mind you - but at the same time has traversed a few hundred km's of snowy highway in the rockies without incident. (2wd in snow had incidents though...)

Regrettably, I'll likely have to remove it for the NP242 (select-trac) swap I want to do.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powertrax in the front here...

Regrettably, I'll likely have to remove it for the NP242 (select-trac) swap I want to do.

Yep, definitely won't work to have the Powertrax in with the NP242 - the differential in that T-case and the locker in front won't like each other :blah:

Bob

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score