Transfer Case Sticks after switched back to 2WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ive got a new to me 07' liberty with 183K miles on it. Recently went to test out the tcase and noticed it wouldn't disengage when switched back to 2WD. ended up turning off the jeep, switching tcase to 4hi then back to 2w, turned jeep back on and put it in reverse. Tcase went into 2wd. any ideas as to whats wrong? I do have a transmission shop around me that does free diagnostics. As far as i know nothings been changed or swapped on this jeep.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Which transfer case do you have?
Selec trac is a full time system and can be engaged at anytime and should not cause issues. Exception being that the the tires have to have equal wear for both type of T-cases.

If you have the command trac transfer case, it should only be engaged on slippery surfaces like mud, snow, grass & loose gravel.
With command trac and an auto transmission, you place the auto trans into neutral, rolling slowly forward, then use the transfer case shifter, and then auto trans into drive.
Same deal coming back out of a 4 WD mode.

Reaction score
Which transfer case do you have?
Selec trac is a full time system and can be engaged at anytime and should not cause issues. Exception being that the the tires have to have equal wear for both type of T-cases.

If you have the command trac transfer case, it should only be engaged on slippery surfaces like mud, snow, grass & loose gravel.
With command trac and an auto transmission, you place the auto trans into neutral, rolling slowly forward, then use the transfer case shifter, and then auto trans into drive.
Same deal coming back out of a 4 WD mode.

I have a New Process Gear 231-J, 2.72 ratio, manufacture date 7/17/06 C2