Transfer case / transmission ? Where to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rigid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have an 06 with 150k miles. It has started having a couple issues that I don't think are related but I'm also not sure. Sometimes when shifting from park to reverse it sounds like its lightly grinding. Put it back in park and shift again it is ok. The shift handle does have some play in it. I can also see that the colored orange indicator is not fully in one spot and has to be adjusted.

Of more concern when driving down the road in 2wd there is a knock or thump slightly more than when your rear tires are running over the cracks in the road where each section of concrete was poured. The oil change sticker says it has 2k more miles before due again. I took the plug out and had to add a little more than a quart fluid to the case. Was guessing it was a little too late but drove it 10 miles and of course it is still there. Coming back it did make that light grinding noise while driving down the road in gear.

Rear end grease was changed a year ago and is still full. U joints in both driveshafts are good.
Transmission fluid color is good and at the correct level.

Any suggestions on where I should start to find the problem(s) ? It is a 242 case

Thank you

BackRoadEnthusiast

Reaction score
We have an 06 with 150k miles. It has started having a couple issues that I don't think are related but I'm also not sure. Sometimes when shifting from park to reverse it sounds like its lightly grinding. Put it back in park and shift again it is ok. The shift handle does have some play in it. I can also see that the colored orange indicator is not fully in one spot and has to be adjusted.

Of more concern when driving down the road in 2wd there is a knock or thump slightly more than when your rear tires are running over the cracks in the road where each section of concrete was poured. The oil change sticker says it has 2k more miles before due again. I took the plug out and had to add a little more than a quart fluid to the case. Was guessing it was a little too late but drove it 10 miles and of course it is still there. Coming back it did make that light grinding noise while driving down the road in gear.

Rear end grease was changed a year ago and is still full. U joints in both driveshafts are good.

Any suggestions on where I should start to find the problem(s) ? It is a 242 case

Thank you

Thank you
Sounds like a transfer case issue. I had the same thing happen to my 07 Liberty sport a few years back. It got worse and worse till eventually the 4wheel drive shaft came completely out of the transfer case and busted the coupling and ****** that holds it in. Don't wait for it to happen, fix it now

J.C.

Reaction score

Thank you
Our 2006/2007 KJ has CV joints on the front propeller shaft. The rear of the propeller shaft has a CV joint that regularly fails. As it bolts onto the front of the transfer case output shaft, it can damage the transfer case front output shaft bearings and cause oil leaks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• 1645144276868.png
    1645144276868.png
    185 KB · Views: 5

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Plus rear CV can be rebuilt for under 40 dollars
driveshaftparts.com for parts