Trans issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving tonight... had issues:
at take off there was no power... mashed down accelerator to go.
at some take offs there was too much power, creating tire spin.
driving down the highway, no shifting occurred... I was going 55 and still not a shift so I pulled off and took the long way home.
Also, trans temp light came on and trans light.

p0700 brother said was the code it is throwing on his OBD scanner.
Is this for sure a bad solenoid?
I have seen some things such as checking 2 speed sensors.
or even just trying a true flush will fix it?

Thank you all truly.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah sounds like you lost a clutch pack. However, if you're going 50, sounds like you're at least in second. In which case you lost third and fourth. Bring your Jeep to a transmission shop that you trust and have them pull all the codes (P0700 states that there is simply a transaxle error, or more than one). Check the cheap things first: I believe you can lose third and fourth gears with the valve body side plate, which can get knocked off. The replacement is only about $25 at the stealership. (Although your take-off is not characteristic of this...) Other than that, sounds like you might need a rebuild/replacement.

My ****** is gettin done this week. And thank gosh my trusted transmission guy found me a used 42RLE from a Liberty with only 39k miles on it. How could I say no to that?!?

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah sounds like you lost a clutch pack. However, if you're going 50, sounds like you're at least in second. In which case you lost third and fourth. Bring your Jeep to a transmission shop that you trust and have them pull all the codes (P0700 states that there is simply a transaxle error, or more than one). Check the cheap things first: I believe you can lose third and fourth gears with the valve body side plate, which can get knocked off. The replacement is only about $25 at the stealership. (Although your take-off is not characteristic of this...) Other than that, sounds like you might need a rebuild/replacement.

My ****** is gettin done this week. And thank gosh my trusted transmission guy found me a used 42RLE from a Liberty with only 39k miles on it. How could I say no to that?!?

Everything dude1116 said - though I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to it than the side plate. Prolly the clutch packs are shot which means rebuild - but you might as well replace it at that point.

Like dude1116, look for a used ******. I found a used one with 36K on it. Runs great and I will be sure to properly maintain this one. Don't know how/if the original owner of my Libby kept up with the ****** but I'm pretty **** about maintenance issues.

Bob

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything dude1116 said - though I'm pretty sure there's a lot more to it than the side plate. Prolly the clutch packs are shot which means rebuild - but you might as well replace it at that point.

Like dude1116, look for a used ******. I found a used one with 36K on it. Runs great and I will be sure to properly maintain this one. Don't know how/if the original owner of my Libby kept up with the ****** but I'm pretty **** about maintenance issues.

Bob

x2 -__- I can't believe I lost this one in so few miles.

By the way, call me Marty. :D