Trailer Brake Boxes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, are the powerstop brake boxes for trailers made specific to the make and model of a vehicle? We are going to be selling our Ford Ranger, and I want to get a brake box put on my Jeep to pull our horse trailer, and I was wondering if the one in the Ranger could be installed on my Jeep.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you could move it to another vehicle.

If you search around here too there is some info on a blue wire under the dash on the driver's side in the Jeep, that is pre-wired for it. I can't recall if it was in all Jeeps or certain ones, but mine did not come with towing package but had the wire there.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, are the powerstop brake boxes for trailers made specific to the make and model of a vehicle? We are going to be selling our Ford Ranger, and I want to get a brake box put on my Jeep to pull our horse trailer, and I was wondering if the one in the Ranger could be installed on my Jeep.

If you're talking about moving your 7-pin round connector from your Ranger to the Jeep - yes, the connections are most likely the same. However, on the Jeep you'll need to connect some additional wires from the brake lights, the battery, along with the brake controller wire.

Use this adapter for your brake, turn and stop lights. The 4-flat connector from that harness will plug into this 7-pin vehicle end connector so that you will then be able to connect a brake controller, etc. Or take the easy route and get a factory 7-pin connector and know that everything will work.

Note: Unless you have a brake controller installed in the cab YOU WILL NOT BE CONTROLLING THE TRAILER'S BRAKES - even if you have a factory 7-pin connector! Unless the trailer has surge brakes or very basic brakes controlled by the brake lights your Jeep's brakes will be stopping both the Jeep and the trailer. Our Jeeps have no trouble getting most trailers moving - but stopping them is a different matter entirely. :freak3:

Hope this helps...

Bob

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys--I already have an adapter for a 7 pin to a 4 pin because my Jeep has the 7 pin and our boat trailer has a 4 pin harness. It did come with the towing package so I'll have to look under the dash and do some more research. I just wondered because they're so darn expensive to get new =P

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys--I already have an adapter for a 7 pin to a 4 pin because my Jeep has the 7 pin and our boat trailer has a 4 pin harness. It did come with the towing package so I'll have to look under the dash and do some more research. I just wondered because they're so darn expensive to get new =P

Now I feel like a stooge for the long-winded answer I gave you before... :shrug:

I think you're asking if the brake controller you have in your Ranger will work in your Jeep - and the answer is "Yes." There isn't anything proprietary about the controller itself - just the way in which it gets wired into the vehicle.

Most other towing vehicles have pigtail harnesses that make it super easy to just plug in the brake controller to the vehicle's wiring. Unfortunately the Jeep Liberty got stiffed when it comes to pre-made harnesses.

If you have the factory tow package then the brake controller wire will be even easier to find than it is for those who don't have a factory tow package. Taped to either the steering column or a nearby bundle of wires under your dash is a light-blue wire with a label that ID's it as the brake controller wire (a few model years have a red instead of blue wire.)

This write-up shows how to find the wire. As I said above it may also be taped to the steering column or a wire bundle near there - if not look behind the white plastic panel behind the kick plate by the brake pedal.

It's in there! :smokin:

Bob