Can I pull a Trailer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jace11

Reaction score
Howdy everyone,
I'm making a huge move from South Texas to Michigan and I'm wondering if my liberty can pull a fully loaded trailer.

I own an 05 jeep liberty 3.7L V6 with a 6-speed manual transmission, rear wheel drive Only.

I have never pulled a trailer or anything before and was wondering if the jeep will be capable of doing this? I'm thinking of getting the 5'x8' uhaul cargo trailer to be safe but I believe I will be needing the 6'x12' cargo trailer with all the items that I will be taking.

Does anyone have any experience with pulling these trailers with my jeep specs? The whole real wheel drive situation sounds kind of doubtful but I'm willing to take a shot at it.

Attachments

• 20221221_135409.jpg
    20221221_135409.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20221221_135443.jpg
    20221221_135443.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 5

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your Jeep can tow 2000 lbs without the tow package (your 5x8 single axle), 5000 pounds with the tow package (6x12 double axle). If you look under the hood and have a mechanical fan with a fan clutch, you have the tow package. If you don't, it is easy to add this. Also, an auxiliary transmission cooler would be good, but I'm guessing that there aren't many mountains between TX & MI and you will be driving at the coldest time of year, so it may not be needed for this trip.

Edit: the 5000 lb tow capacity is for the automatic transmission. Does anyone know what it is with the manual?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he's got a stick. half of what you noted doesn't apply.
3500# tow capacity is the rating. no need to worry about HD cooling bits.
you can certainly tow more if you know what you're doing.
IANAL so do so at your own risk.
i've towed a car trailer multiple times, with a car on board.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
he's got a stick. half of what you noted doesn't apply.
3500# tow capacity is the rating. no need to worry about HD cooling bits.
you can certainly tow more if you know what you're doing.
IANAL so do so at your own risk.
i've towed a car trailer multiple times, with a car on board.
Thanks! I have the automatic so my brain immediately went there

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not rent a box truck and a car trailer? That way you save the wear on the jeep plus you have plenty of room for stuff because you could also pack the jeep once loaded. It may cost more, but might be lots easier and less stressful.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 6 X 10 enclosed I have pulled loaded from Northwest Ohio to Boston 3 times , also twice from my home ( Northwest Ohio ) to Florida [;us all over Ohio moving my self to various places
Have a heavy duty 5x8 haul firewood with and a lighter duty 5 x 8 to move smaller stuff .
plus all of my KJs are lifted etc that I pull the trailers with, no issues at all

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 6 X 10 enclosed I have pulled loaded from Northwest Ohio to Boston 3 times , also twice from my home ( Northwest Ohio ) to Florida [;us all over Ohio moving my self to various places
Have a heavy duty 5x8 haul firewood with and a lighter duty 5 x 8 to move smaller stuff .
plus all of my KJs are lifted etc that I pull the trailers with, no issues at all

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
I might be wrong but I think the only KJ rated to tow 5000# is the CRD.

Another limiting factor for towing is frontal area of the trailer which isn't supposed to exceed 64 square feet.

I've towed a dual axle 16' enclosed trailer with a V-nose without much weight or trouble. I did install a trailer brake controller. If I towed more I would add airbags in the rear coils to keep the back of the jeep from squatting.

I don't think you'd have any problem with the smaller trailer but you might exceed gross towing limits quickly with the weight of the larger trailer and whatever goes in it.

jace11

Reaction score
Why not rent a box truck and a car trailer? That way you save the wear on the jeep plus you have plenty of room for stuff because you could also pack the jeep once loaded. It may cost more, but might be lots easier and less stressful.
This was my initial thought, I am considering doing this just so, like you mentioned, I don't wear my jeep out too much and save on the mileage. I currently found an oil and freon leak so I'm definetly gonna think more about this.

jace11

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help! Like duderz7 suggested, I might just end up renting a box truck and a car trailer to do the moving. Seems to be more convinent. I usually sleep on my jeep for breaks since it is a 30 hour drive nonstop, but I'll figure put how to sleep on the box truck

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not leave the jeep capable of sleeping in, even if you're towing it?

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might be wrong but I think the only KJ rated to tow 5000# is the CRD.

Another limiting factor for towing is frontal area of the trailer which isn't supposed to exceed 64 square feet.

I've towed a dual axle 16' enclosed trailer with a V-nose without much weight or trouble. I did install a trailer brake controller. If I towed more I would add airbags in the rear coils to keep the back of the jeep from squatting.

I don't think you'd have any problem with the smaller trailer but you might exceed gross towing limits quickly with the weight of the larger trailer and whatever goes in it.
gasser autos are US rated 5000# with the cooling package.
funny bit... diesels are rated 7400# in europe. :D

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering a similar thing. Should I tow my Accord from VA to CA with a tow dolly or the full trailer? Gas mileage is gonna be crap I know. My 06 is lifted and I have the 42RLE but, I have 4:10’s.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
/me laughs in manual... 8mpg... :D

I bet, and I have no way of proving this right now, but if you had some kind of indicator that told you when the converter was locked or unlocked, you could intelligently run it in 4th/5th (aka, OD NOT locked out) and get that MPG figure a lot higher.

Keep in mind, i'm runing 3.55s with a 0.84 6th, on stockish diameter tires (245/70R16 on 16x8 MOABs), and I can easily get 16mpg towing a 2200# trailer with a 3100# car on it (and a 100# winch, a 30# battery, my ~200# fat ass in the front seat, and about 50# of tools and crap in the back), and NOT on the flat lands of Nebraska either. Momentum is your friend, and being smooth with the throttle, along with well timed shifts, is the key to good fuel economy.

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m wondering a similar thing. Should I tow my Accord from VA to CA with a tow dolly or the full trailer? Gas mileage is gonna be crap I know. My 06 is lifted and I have the 42RLE but, I have 4:10’s.

A dolly would be lighter obviously. a full trailer that's from the likes of uhaul has surge brakes, and if you've never pulled one of them it can get sketchy at all the wrong times.

Latest posts

Members online