Trail Rated?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJfix

Reaction score
Is there really such a thing? My Liberty is a 2004 Trail rated model. What makes it trail rated? Looks pretty normal under there to me. Although it did climb the mountains in Front Royal, VA like a billy goat. :icon_razz:

Thx,
Don

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
" We test Jeep® 4x4s on the toughest trails in the world to prove one thing: They can take whatever you dish out. The Trail Rated® badge means that your Jeep 4x4 has been designed to perform in five categories of off-road conditions: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording. "

says Jeep

CJfix

Reaction score
" We test Jeep® 4x4s on the toughest trails in the world to prove one thing: They can take whatever you dish out. The Trail Rated® badge means that your Jeep 4x4 has been designed to perform in five categories of off-road conditions: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording. "

says Jeep

Thats cool! I lived atop one of the mountains in Front Royal, VA. You could just see my house atop "High Knob. Had to get a 4x4 so I chose Jeep. My wife drives the Liberty and I bought a Wrangler. Both are fantastic and worthy of the climb. Have never done fording but we were the only vehicles making it up and down in snow.

THAT'S Trail rated to me. Hah.

Don

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice.. yeah, Trail Rated is what Jeep says it is.. I don't believe that they are mechanically any different than any other 4x4 Liberty. They are all exceedingly capable for an IFS truck.

I don't do any rock climbing with mine, but I've navigated some tricky trails and some muddy two-tracks that were pretty gnarly, and not to mention the obligatory Michigan winters.. only snow that got me stuck (at my destination no less) was in a blizzard a number of years ago where we got 30+ inches of actual snowfall overnight.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought all 4x4 KJs had the Trail Rated badge. True or not?

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They show the three wheel move like ten times like come on we get it.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some Jeeps are trail rated PG and some are trail rated R. depends on what you use the back seat for:killit:

HerronScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats cool! I lived atop one of the mountains in Front Royal, VA. You could just see my house atop "High Knob. Had to get a 4x4 so I chose Jeep. My wife drives the Liberty and I bought a Wrangler. Both are fantastic and worthy of the climb. Have never done fording but we were the only vehicles making it up and down in snow.

You need to update your profile as it thinks you live in FL. :)

Scott

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I spent every weekend from last July to this past February hiking in Shenandoah. And I do mean EVERY weekend. I have pictures and video to prove it.

I loved cruising back down out of the mountains, no gas pedal action required, then stop at the Ranger's Station and seeing that I averaged 31 mpg for that stretch of the trip. :D

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah Yes the great debate...
Are you...
56541[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

I pulled up along side a new low rider, Fiat designed Cherokee Trail Hawk.
Ya it probably has the trail rated badge BUT...
Why does it have "Mall Rated" all season radials on it? Dude how about some A/T tires?
Does it come with skids or can you get them?
Sure looks like it needs some help, starting with a lift/ skids/ tires, to really pass the Trail rated category.
I suppose they will never go off road anyways, so really they are currently mall rated..
We are lucky as a IFS KJ owners!, Great selection of aftermarket "off road" bolt on equipment!

Attachments

• trailormallrated.jpg
    trailormallrated.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 1

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the new Cherokee Trail hawks... but they need about a 2" lift, some AT tires in a one-plus size, and definitely skids and rock rails. That'd be a pretty nice, modern Jeep that is still super capable.

Jo6pak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah Yes the great debate...
I pulled up along side a new low rider, Fiat designed Cherokee Trail Hawk.
Ya it probably has the trail rated badge BUT...

Remember the crappy SRAs that came stock on the KJ? Heck, even most Wranglers come with some pretty lame tires on them:emotions34:

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
of course, there is this, too... :icon_wink:

Attachments

• gasguzzler.jpg
    gasguzzler.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 6

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had a Cherokee Trailhawk as a rental back in Feb. Pretty neat, had skids and tow hooks and all terrains. Rode like a rock and visibility was horrible. Got KJ MPG too roughly, maybe a bit better but it has a smaller tank. I like the Renegades more.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.