Tracking down a moan/howl noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished replacing the front and rear wheel bearings (and a whole lot more) on my daughters 2006 Liberty 4x4. Took it for a test drive and still am hearing a very noticible howling noise. I thought for certain it was wheel bearings since they are original and had 140k miles on them. My next thought is U-joint on the drive shaft, but not sure. A basic inspection, they did not appear to be any play and I do not get the typical clunk noise when putting into gear. Any thoughts on how to further isolate this? The noise is the same when in drive or neutral coasting and in both 2 and 4wd. Hoping it's not the rear diff pinion bearing, but not many things left it could be. The ring gear looked fine upon inspection when I pulled the axles. Thanks in advance.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
^^^^ what he said
Next rear ujoints don't normally howl plus unless they are clear done worn out you won't get any slop.
They will more or less rust up almost solid. When mine went at 55,000 miles there was a vibration, couldn't find it until I rolled under mine and just happened to lay my hand on the rear ujoint....hotter than he** !:icon_lol:
Next have you had it up on four jackstands and ran it to see if noise is still there ??

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have replace my drive shaft last year. Hope it something different.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the intermediate shaft bearing? Not sure if it would howl. Also possible candidate is pinion bearing.

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will get her back on the lift a little later and have a look at the front driveshaft. I guess I could run it while up on the lift and see if I can pinpoint the source. Stay tuned...

Jade_Monkey07

Reaction score
Mine had a really bad howl when i bought it. Turned out the rear dif had waaay too much backlash. Its been rebuilt and the noise is gone.
I know you said the ring and pinion looked fine but mine did too visually. Did you check the backlash?