Trac-lok with no offroad package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 Jeep Liberty
3.7L
4x4 part-time

Yesterday I got the build-sheet for my Jeep from the jeep site and it says I should have the trac-lok. I'm sure I do not have the offroad package (no skids, rock rails, etc). Is it possible to have trac-lok without the offroad package? I'm fairly certain I do NOT have the trac-lok because there is no sticker on the axle saying I do have it. I've also been stuck a couple of times and only 1 back wheel spun.

Reason I'm asking is because of I'm doing the gear oil change my self this spring (dealer did it before) and need to make sure to have the friction modifier if need be.

Oh, one other question. What is "leather wrapped steering wheel"? Build sheet says I have that but I don't think I do. I have the grey steering wheel. Doesn't look "leather wrapped" to me.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Build sheets are not always correct. I would get the friction modifier and keep the receipt. When you open up the diff you will be able to see if you have it or not!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Jack up the rear and see if you do have it or not, easy to tell
Also some have friction modifiers already in them
Just use regular dino when swapping it out
Steering wheel, all had almost the same, not really what I would call leather but a close alternative

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll make sure the new lube comes with the friction modifier. From what I can tell most do (at leas the lube I saw at the part store did). I plan on going with regular 80w90 in both front and rear.

Build sheet also said I have the 160 amp alternator. I was certain I did not have that. Took a closer look and googled the part # and it's the 160 amp version. I thought the 160 amp only came with the roof lights.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll make sure the new lube comes with the friction modifier. From what I can tell most do (at leas the lube I saw at the part store did). I plan on going with regular 80w90 in both front and rear.

Build sheet also said I have the 160 amp alternator. I was certain I did not have that. Took a closer look and googled the part # and it's the 160 amp version. I thought the 160 amp only came with the roof lights.

I thought the 160 amp alternator only came with the roof lights on the renegade also.

You are in Canada so maybe the Canadian version has some differences or some things can be ordered differently or some standard equipment can be different ???? Just guessing here. Also if you bought it used it is always possible someone could have added something or taken something off?

Dave

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I know of at least a few renegades that have the 160 and no roof lights.
Remember states like West Virginia did not allow roof lights so none shipped there had them but had everything else

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roof lights are allowed here. Friend had a 2004 khaki green renegade with roof lights. That was the reason I bought mine, I liked driving hers so much.

Does anybody know what the renegade package consists of? My build sheet says mine is a renegade. It seems the only thing I may have from the renegade package is the 160 amp alternator.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I did not have sticker on mine either...This is what the Trac Lok looks like inside. The clutches inside do wear out, mine replaced once already.
To activate lock, hit brakes hard, if spinning, and gas it.
55414[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Add this to your gear lube..
55416[/ATTACH]"]

Do you have the sport trim model or what is it? pic would help...
55418[/ATTACH]"]

I have Rocky Mountain edition, it came with all OEM skids except transmission, which I added.
Here is mine also listed as a leather wrap steering wheel..
55420[/ATTACH]"]

Attachments

• JeepMaintence4.jpg
    JeepMaintence4.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Trac-Lok.jpg
    Trac-Lok.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SideMoldings.jpg
    SideMoldings.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Jeep%20Dash%20Night%20View.jpg
    Jeep%20Dash%20Night%20View.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roof lights are allowed here. Friend had a 2004 khaki green renegade with roof lights. That was the reason I bought mine, I liked driving hers so much.

Does anybody know what the renegade package consists of? My build sheet says mine is a renegade. It seems the only thing I may have from the renegade package is the 160 amp alternator.

Do you have the bushwacker style fender flares?

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what trim I have. I was told by the dealer it was limited when I bought it. Insurance place told me it is renegade. Built sheet says renegade. No trim model badges on it what so ever. It has regular painted fenders (no rivets). Jeep is black with factory privacy glass on back windows.

Ok, my steering wheel looks the same. So that's "leather wrap". I have the grey cloth "stain-ez" seats with no chrome or any accents anywhere. Grey carpet floor mats. Part-time 4x4, no skids, no trailer hitch, no fog lights, no mech fan, has sun-roof.

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what trim I have. I was told by the dealer it was limited when I bought it. Insurance place told me it is renegade. Built sheet says renegade. No trim model badges on it what so ever. It has regular painted fenders (no rivets). Jeep is black with factory privacy glass on back windows.

Ok, my steering wheel looks the same. So that's "leather wrap". I have the grey cloth "stain-ez" seats with no chrome or any accents anywhere. Grey carpet floor mats. Part-time 4x4, no skids, no trailer hitch, no fog lights, no mech fan, has sun-roof.

From what you are describing I think it is fair to assume it is not a Renegade. This is my Renegade.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Renegade.jpg
    Renegade.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 38

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks just like the one my friend had. I love that color.

I didn't think I had the renegade. I would say mine is a sport with painted fenders and a 160 amp alternator with possible trac-lok.

Here is a quick pic.

Attachments

• IMG_20160224_113055.jpg
    IMG_20160224_113055.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I didn't think I had the renegade. I would say mine is a sport with painted fenders and a 160 amp alternator with possible trac-lok.

Here is a quick pic.

Thanks. I would kind of think your unit would be a limited but I might be wrong.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The red one is an 05 Limited
The one you pictured has renegade hood on it with Limited flares
So was it ever wrecked and rebuilt ??

THIS IS A 05 RENEGADE PACKAGE SEE THE FLAT HOOD/ FLARES ETC

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Here is a quick pic.

Kinda looks like a mish-mosh of options. Definitely has a renegade front-end with the flat hood and grill. Odd for sure. Any skids? Bumper lights? I assume not.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say it was wrecked at some point and parts thrown on it to get it out the door

eradicator006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't know that was the renegade hood..cool. I'm more inclined to think I do have a renegade but with no badges and no renegade fenders. My build sheet and registration both say I have a renegade. I'm guessing there is something in the VIN that specifies that?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's a Rocky Mountain Edition