Trac Loc P/N?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know the P/N for the OEM Trac Loc unit?

I'd like to eventually replace the open diff in our KJ, but since it's on paved roads 99.99% of the time, I'd just like to swap in a stock limited-slip unit and stay away from a locker setup.

Thanks.

Cableguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to look into a Detroit True-Trac. It's a pretty popular LSD and i've heard lots of good things about them, and it'll probally end up costing you less than the OEM.

Somebody around here has one, i just can't remember who.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to look into a Detroit True-Trac. It's a pretty popular LSD and i've heard lots of good things about them, and it'll probally end up costing you less than the OEM.

Somebody around here has one, i just can't remember who.

Jeepster...cough..cough........kopkrab.gif

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for the TT,you'll be much happier.i got one in the front of my KJ and love it,really good road manners and is way better than any clutch style LSD.Plus with it being a gear driven LSD there is no need for friction modifier,also there is no clutches to wear out.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go for the TT,you'll be much happier.i got one in the front of my KJ and love it,really good road manners and is way better than any clutch style LSD.Plus with it being a gear driven LSD there is no need for friction modifier,also there is no clutches to wear out.

Does it pop?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it pop?
Nope,not one noise at all,heck I can't even tell it's there besides the steering returning to center faster.Offroad in 4-hi or 4-lo,watch out(in a good way) you know it's there,it grabs and pulls you through.Lift one wheel in the air,no problem apply the brake a little and fool it into "locking" up like a locker.Again, absolutly no noises on-road,you can't even tell it's there until you want it to.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the make/model on that one? I may be looking into another mod for spring :) .... Don't think I'm hijacking the thread, just flowing along with the topic at hand.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats the make/model on that one? I may be looking into another mod for spring :) .... Don't think I'm hijacking the thread, just flowing along with the topic at hand.

No worries....I'm actually getting a lot of good info from this.

'Nother dumb question....where can I actually buy one of these bad boys?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy them at most 4x4 shops.These prices are from 4WheelParts.com-Front TT(Dana30,27 spline,3.73 gears and up) pt# DET912A585,$372.99. 8.25 TT(29 spline) pt# DET912A553,$421.99.I'm sure you can find better but 4WheelParts has free shipping to,and the front TT for a Dana30 will fit in the Dana30A case(I know cause I have it in there right now).

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can buy them at most 4x4 shops.These prices are from 4WheelParts.com-Front TT(Dana30,27 spline,3.73 gears and up) pt# DET912A585,$372.99. 8.25 TT(29 spline) pt# DET912A553,$421.99.I'm sure you can find better but 4WheelParts has free shipping to,and the front TT for a Dana30 will fit in the Dana30A case(I know cause I have it in there right now).

Good info. I think the "A" in the Dana 30A is the designation for "Aluminum". Please correct me if I am wrong but that's what I thought. So then it would make sense that the same TT would fit the 30 and 30A.

You must have a locker in the back though, and not just the TT in the front and open rear??? You probably have an ARB in the rear of yours for real serious off-roading or a powertrax at least..

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good info. I think the "A" in the Dana 30A is the designation for "Aluminum". Please correct me if I am wrong but that's what I thought. So then it would make sense that the same TT would fit the 30 and 30A.

You must have a locker in the back though, and not just the TT in the front and open rear??? You probably have an ARB in the rear of yours for real serious off-roading or a powertrax at least..

Dave
Yep,I've got a ARB in the 8.25.Oh and 1 more thing about the TT for the Dana30A if anybody is interested,the newer Dana30's have larger ring gear bolts than our Dana30A's and Detriot decided to just make all the TT with the bigger holes.Detriot see's now problem with the bigger holes and smaller bolts(they say that the torqued bolt is good enough) and the older Dana30's have the same problem.So if you decide to get one in the front of the KJ you need sleeves that go around the bolts to take up the slack.Any good gear install shop will have these sleeves or can get them and should be aware of the problem if they do alot of TT's in older wranglers.Just thought everyone should be aware of this,by no means is it a problem just a little hurdle with a easy fix.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
TJKJ2002........so what if he just put a TT in the rear and left the front alone. If he is not going to do any ********* off-roading, it will have good road manners that he wanted and still be better than an open diff in moderate off-road use?? (I know it's not the same as a locker).

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TJKJ2002........so what if he just put a TT in the rear and left the front alone. If he is not going to do any ********* off-roading, it will have good road manners that he wanted and still be better than an open diff in moderate off-road use?? (I know it's not the same as a locker).

Dave
Yep, that would be fine and having a TT in the rear will be so much better than putting in a factory trac-loc.Why spend all that money to put something in that will wear out in 50,000 miles and requires special care.I just mentioned the front TT for all the others that may had a question about it going in the front.

myjeepwalks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed a trac-lok in the rear of my liberty. I am very happy with it. Excellent road manners and works great offroad, 100x better than an open diff. I agree a detroit true-track is better but cost was a major factor for me. I won the trac-lok on ebay brand new for $72 shipped to my door. Yes it has clutches and they do wear out but for what i paid it was hard to pass up.. For my application the trac-lok is perfect for me. The $400 i saved can now go towards my rusty's lift!