Swing gate swap not working properly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crunchbite

Reaction score
Hello all. My 2007 Liberty Limited had a rear gate that was horribly rusted. I was at the pick-n-pull getting new seats, when I noticed a 2003 Liberty Sport with a perfect condition rear gate in the same black. I brought it home, and swapped them.

Everything seems perfectly fine, except the car always beeps at me, keeps the dome light on and flashes 'gate' on the dash, as if it thinks it is open. If I am on a particularly bumpy road, I do hear some rattling.

Luckily, I had removed the latch from my old gate. That gate is gone though. I went to swap the latches out, then noticed they are different pieces! Please see the attached photo below. The latch in my hand is from my old, stock, 2007 gate. The bolt pattern is different. Also, the plugins are in different places, and the lock release mechanism is different.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!
You must be registered for see images attach

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The sensor for the flipper glass in mine went bad and did the same stuff - always thought it was open, alarm going off, lights on etc. Just unplugged it and it's been fine since. Nothing seems impacted by it, still locks normally.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah on 2007 its the glass it thinks is open if it dings at you.

I can say this for sure because I work out of my 2007. Sometimes I forget to push on the door if I just pop the glass. Then later I hear the gate rattling when I am driving and have to stop and click it fully closed. It doesn't ding unless I leave the glass open which I do sometimes.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah on 2007 its the glass it thinks is open if it dings at you.

I can say this for sure because I work out of my 2007. Sometimes I forget to push on the door if I just pop the glass. Then later I hear the gate rattling when I am driving and have to stop and click it fully closed. It doesn't ding unless I leave the glass open which I do sometimes.
Try disconnecting the sensor. It's right by the latch for the glass. Is it saying the glass is open or the tailgate is open?

Crunchbite

Reaction score
Try disconnecting the sensor. It's right by the latch for the glass. Is it saying the glass is open or the tailgate is open?
It’s not the glass, it says the swing gate is open. Anyways, the 2006-07 tailgate have a different latch mechanism than the 03-04’s. My car didn’t recognize the old gate. I just had to wait until an 06-07 got to the pick-n-pull, and I’ve got a proper new gate now.

Reactions: JRB

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.