TPMS and New Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a simple question which I have an idea what the answer might be, but wanted to confirm with the experts here. If I replace my stock tires with tires of the same size, would I need to replace my current TPMS? I ask this because I was given a quote after asking PEPBOYS how much it would cost to purchase and replacement my tires. The quote indicated,

1) Tire Mounting $0
2) Wheel Balance $52 (4x tires)
3) Road Hazard Warranty $56 (4x tires)
4) Dill Tire Pressure Monitoring System Component Kit $32 (4x tires)
5) Computerized wheel alignment $70

Estimated cost $210

I think I do not need a new TPMS and the warranty. The only thing left are the wheel balance and alignment. Estimated cost $122

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are ripping you off. You do NOT need to replace them unless they break one changing tires and then it is their fault and they should pay for it.

Find a good honest place and get your tires.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a simple question which I have an idea what the answer might be, but wanted to confirm with the experts here. If I replace my stock tires with tires of the same size, would I need to replace my current TPMS? I ask this because I was given a quote after asking PEPBOYS how much it would cost to purchase and replacement my tires. The quote indicated,

1) Tire Mounting $0
2) Wheel Balance $52 (4x tires)
3) Road Hazard Warranty $56 (4x tires)
4) Dill Tire Pressure Monitoring System Component Kit $32 (4x tires)
5) Computerized wheel alignment $70

Estimated cost $210

I think I do not need a new TPMS and the warranty. The only thing left are the wheel balance and alignment. Estimated cost $122
In bold is new seals,caps,and valve core for your TPMS sensors,very good idea when putting new tires on since the TPMS sensors can leak after thet remove prior to tire removal from the rim.The TPMS component kit is in no way new TPMS sensors,just new stuff for them to ensure proper sealing and transmitting(they use special valve cores which are the antenna for the sensors).

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$210 to M&B 4 tires
sounds like a HUGE rip off
if you dont have problems with the valve stems dont spend the money on them
road hazard is a scam ,they are betting on you not getting a flat and considering that in
6 years our KJ has gotten only 1 and that was in the drive way of our house
oh and it is on its 4th set of tires they would have won that bet

Just do what I do
find a local mom and pop shop that will M&B your tires
most time it is $15 cash or so per tire

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"wheel" alignment? Is that your suspension or actually some how "aligning" the wheels themselves? Could someone explain this one as it is a chunk of money.
That is a alignment,not a bad price for a chain store.

If you have the 17" rims you will pay more for tire installation,and since you have TPMS you will automatically pay more also and not from the price of TPMS component kits.Where I work it's called LDLP charge(Large Diameter Low Profile),meaning any 17"+ wheel or any tire with 50 series or smaller sidewall pays a higher price.Then theres a custom wheel charge for those "blinging" aftermarket chrome rims since it takes more time to mount them,and alot more work.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^I have the dreaded 17" wheels. I have TPMS as most of us do. So I got my AT's when my jeep was pretty new as I couldn't stand the Goodyears any longer. I got them at a local repair shop where they are pretty good. They installed them and were careful not to break any TPM stems. No drama.

I didn't need an allignment so they didn't do one.

As to the "road hazard stuff" since I bought the tires there it was included in the price along with free rotations. The several times I have had tire problems were from off-road punctures and I plugged the leak (I carry a tire plug kit I made up and I have 2 compressors in the jeep-cause I am a sicko). Only one time did I actually have a spike lodge inbetween the tire lugs causing a slow leak. I thought it was too big to plug but I took it over there where I got the tires and they fixed it free as I got the tires there. So unless you get a slow leak and can get the tire to the shop the road hazard repair doesn't mean anything if it happens up in the boonies or anywhere where you can't get it to the shop. So if they throw it in with the tires cause you bought them there, then ok, but if you have to pay a lot for it, just think twice.

That is my personal experience. Yours might be different.

I need a set of soft 8's in 16".......and even better tires.....someday

Dave

Last edited:

rchung813

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I really appreicate all the feedback especially the information about the TPMS. I'll post in another thread what they estimate the cost of a tune up. This way I can share the estimated cost and have everyone see if they are paying too much or just right or if I am paying too much.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Er...
Why are they charging you to FIT & BALANCE the tyres? This is mandatory when fitting tyres and should be included with the purchase price!!

FInd a better tyre dealer:eek:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Er...
Why are they charging you to FIT & BALANCE the tyres? This is mandatory when fitting tyres and should be included with the purchase price!!

FInd a better tyre dealer:eek:
Not really,some people buy tires at one place and have them installed at another.I work for Firestone and we always charge for mounting and balancing which is not part of the tires selling price.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Interesting!! It is EXPECTED here that the price of the tyres INCLUDES all fitting, ballancing etc. :rolleyes:

Live & learn I guess..:eek:
Well here you got many options as far a mounting and balancing like lifetime rotate and balance,road hazard,and so on.Plus you pay more for if you have 17"+ rims and/or 45 series or lower sidewalls(LDLP mounting) and you can also pay more if you have TPMS also.You will almost always pay more for custom wheel's also since more work is involved as not to damage those rims.Then you got fed tax,local tax,and old tire disposal if you do not plan on taking your old tires with you.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

Interesting!! It is EXPECTED here that the price of the tyres INCLUDES all fitting, ballancing etc. :rolleyes:

Live & learn I guess..:eek:

What's the difference?

If you pay $115 for the tire and $15 mounting/balancing, do you really think they're going to say "OH GOLLY, we're going to stop charging to mount and balance!"

What happens then?

They charge $130 for the tire.

Same same, all same.