Towing Question?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get a new trailer to tow two quads, I want something enclosed, that I can do a very basic tow hauler conversion on, pretty much just insulate, add some power to it, a few windows, flip down bed and some cabinets.

I was looking at a 7x12'+2' V-nose, or possibly a 7x14'+2' v-nose dual 3.5k axles, 6' 6" interior height, I think only one axle with brakes, but an option to add to the second axle, weights i've seen about 2200-2300 lbs.

The conversion will probably be about 600-800lbs depending on materials and how far I decide to go with it.

Two ATV's weighting about 450 and 500 lbs each.

All in all it should be about 3750-4000lb depending how I go with the interior mods.

I know the KJs rated to 5k with the factory tow package, which I do not have only a Curt class 3 hitch and 4 pin wiring.. But before I bother with the aux trans cooler, mechanical fan and 7 pin wiring can it truly tow something that big and heavy?
Im not going to be doing cross country trips, but some trails may be a 3-4 hours away.

Thanks!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
If you add the tow package, I think you'd be fine. When I towed a 6x12 dual axle trailer that weighed about 3500 loaded from FL to WI the KJ seemed cool with it. No overheating, fuel economy took a dump but whatever. Handled it fine really...I think KJ's are fine towing vehicles. I'd tow again with it for sure.

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you add the tow package, I think you'd be fine. When I towed a 6x12 dual axle trailer that weighed about 3500 loaded from FL to WI the KJ seemed cool with it. No overheating, fuel economy took a dump but whatever. Handled it fine really...I think KJ's are fine towing vehicles. I'd tow again with it for sure.

Thanks, thats good to know!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've towed a 6 X10 from Northwest Ohio to Boston and back twice, to Orlando and back twice , loaded to the gills and never had an issue

Jacob789456

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed a 6,000lb trailer (27' with a 3,200lb Christmas Tree on it-don't even ask lol, it was a 35' tree) through the Big Bear, CA area (5-7 thousand feet altitude) and then all the way to San Diego (150 miles) with no problems. That is with my lifted KJ with E-range 31" tires, already costing me power. The KJ did fine, brakes were great too (trailer had no brakes). Never went over 50 mph, mostly due to the lack of trailer brakes, however, the trailer never swayed and I never felt like I had too little power nor a lack of braking power. This was not the most responsible tow (was originally going to use an F450, but it broke down the night before), oh and did I mention it was night time and raining lol. We did have 2 spotter cars, one in front and back because the tree was a lane and a half wide, but overall the KJ did fantastic! Pulled some steep (6-8%) grades too! I have both an aux trans cooler, aux power steering cooler, and the mechanical+electrical fan, and in the mountains my 45RFE trans never exceeded 210 degrees on the uphills (autometer trans temp gauge), and my engine never exceeded 214 degrees. I do have the hayden fan clutch though which engages at 206 degrees, compared to the mopar one which engages at about 235 degrees.

Attachments

• tree1.jpg
    tree1.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 28
  • tree2.jpg
    tree2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 34
  • tree3.jpg
    tree3.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats good to know, I guess I underestimated the Jeep, but i've never towed more then 1500 lbs worth with it.
With overdrive off what RPM are you at when cruising at 65?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey bmrrwolfe, hello from a fellow NE Ohioan! :party52:

You probably already have the trans cooler - look in front of the radiator on the passenger side and you'll see a couple of lines coming into a cooler that runs along the bottom of the radiator/AC condenser. So from that standpoint you're covered.

As far as towing the rig you described I think you'll be fine. It would be better to have the 7-pin harness in case you wanted to put brakes on the trailer (a good idea anyway cuz getting a trailer moving isn't a problem - stopping it CAN be a problem) but the 4-flat harness will do.

There are kits available to add the mechanical fan, larger shroud, Hayden clutch, etc. if you want to add some reserve cooling for future tows. A side benefit is somewhat better AC in the summer cuz the mech fan pulls additional air through the condenser.

Bob

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, and unfortunately just a gasser..

Part one of the trailer build, is the need for it, picked up a second quad, a 2002 Kawasaki Mojave 250 a little smaller, but a quick machine, and will still do 55-60, and only 375 lbs.
Its a bit of a project but at $300 I couldn't pass it up.

Last edited: