Towing flat four wire harness connections...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burro II

Reaction score
I looked but could not find a "how to" or FAQ on connecting a four wire trailer light harness to the existing wires at the back of the KJ.

PO never got the hitch installed under the exploding gas tank recall. I am taking El Burro into the dealer for that recall this week. Figured since I get a free hitch why not do the wiring so I can use it, right?

Without digging and testing, is there a simple set of instructions available on what to connect and where? I am good at this sort of stuff, but want to avoid the "figure it out" part of someone else has already done so.

Thanks.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked but could not find a "how to" or FAQ on connecting a four wire trailer light harness to the existing wires at the back of the KJ.

PO never got the hitch installed under the exploding gas tank recall. I am taking El Burro into the dealer for that recall this week. Figured since I get a free hitch why not do the wiring so I can use it, right?

Without digging and testing, is there a simple set of instructions available on what to connect and where? I am good at this sort of stuff, but want to avoid the "figure it out" part of someone else has already done so.

Thanks.

There are a few kits that plug into the existing taillight connections, so that you don't have to splice anything. It's plug and go.

This ought to get ya going:

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2003_Jeep_Liberty.htm#/

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
etrailer has them,
plug and play ,
connections are in behind panel right rear of the KJ,
grommet already there to run wires down through

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hopefully it's not too late for an actual hitch.
didn't they change it to some cheaper non-functional hitch?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Heard that as well, more of a bracket assembly that kinda looks like a cheap hitch, but without the receiver section. They only installed the previous class III hitches because there was nothing else to put on (yet).

That is called "lucking out" if you got the real hitch.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Thought that was only overseas ??? Never heard of anyone here in the US just getting the bar

Plus if not plenty of hitches laying around, heck I have 4 factory ones, plus 2 KK ones stacked up waiting to go to the junk yard
and yes KK ones bolt right up, hitch is just a little higher ran one on the 04 for a long time

Burro II

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. This will be for a light weight utility trailer. I think I will go ahead and use a flat four wire and some diodes and keep it simple and inexpensive. I don't mind splices. And I solder and shrink wrap everything.

Done it before. Just needed to know where the best tap location is on the vehicle. Sounds like right rear.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. This will be for a light weight utility trailer. I think I will go ahead and use a flat four wire and some diodes and keep it simple and inexpensive. I don't mind splices. And I solder and shrink wrap everything.

Done it before. Just needed to know where the best tap location is on the vehicle. Sounds like right rear.

Flat four is what ties in right in the rear there, very easy, not expensive etc much better than cutting/ tieing in back at tail lights etc
doesn't matter if you solder/ shirk wrap

???????????oh well

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Don't need to cut and splice bud.. that link to etrailer I posted has at least 3 options that plug right into the factory harness.. unplug factory connectors, put that one in the middle and reconnect, BOOM! Done.

kejobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few kits that plug into the existing taillight connections, so that you don't have to splice anything. It's plug and go.

This ought to get ya going:

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2003_Jeep_Liberty.htm#/

While you are at the dealer you can inquire about the type of factory wiring harness you need.
The flat 4 pin for instance is Mopar part # 82207290.
Here is a good link for you.. http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f202/how-tow-stuff-hitches-harnesses-brakes-26895/
Alternatively, eTrailer.com have all the wiring harnesses.

etrailer has them,
plug and play ,
connections are in behind panel right rear of the KJ,
grommet already there to run wires down through

Flat four is what ties in right in the rear there, very easy, not expensive etc much better than cutting/ tieing in back at tail lights etc
doesn't matter if you solder/ shirk wrap

???????????oh well

Don't need to cut and splice bud.. that link to etrailer I posted has at least 3 options that plug right into the factory harness.. unplug factory connectors, put that one in the middle and reconnect, BOOM! Done.

All this. I got the Hopkins one from Amazon. Have had no issues and it took 20-30 minutes to install, which included a mount for the plug.

Also,the Liberty needs the converter that the kits come with. Probably could be done without the kit or possibly the converter...but why?

$30, unplug, plug, plug, pull wires, done.