Mice chewed through wiring harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark_Annap_MD

Reaction score
Looking for some help figuring out how to trace down wiring diagram for 2003 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L. Mice chewed through the wiring harness right beside the master cylinder (see pic). There are 4 black wires that are cut and large chunks missing so it isn't obvious which ones connect. Two wires have blue stripe and two have white stripe. Tested continuity and no continuity between the black and white wires regardless of the combination. Then there is continuity between the black/blue wires again regardless of the combination. I have the Haynes manual but without knowing which systems that harness services I am not sure how to sort out what to look for.

Couple more bits for context, I am the original owner and there hasn't been any previous electrical issues with the Liberty. It doesn't get driven every day but I usually drive it once a week to make sure everything keeps moving and hopefully discourage things like this. It was driven the day before this happened so at least the final blow occurred overnight. Currently it won't run at all, cranks but won't fire. When I plug the ODB reader in it won't even turn on, I know the reader works because I used it on another car on Saturday.

Any insight would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Mark

Attachments

• image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 9

Jeremy-WI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There may be links to factory service manuals on this site somewhere

Mark_Annap_MD

Reaction score
Thanks all for the quick responses. I think I found the correct diagram 8W-15-2 Ground Distribution Gas, which shows two black with grey stripes coming from the Data link connector and two black with blue stripes coming from the Powertrain Control module. This could explain why the ODB doesn't come on at all and I see "no bus" in the odometer. Now I still am uncertain how I figure out which black with grey wires to connect, and which black with blue to connect. Or does it even matter if they are both grounds? I don't usually dive into electrical issues so this is out of my normal zone, I usually stop at mechanical things but this is where I find myself so trying to muddle my way through it.

And yes, I currently have a bar of Irish Spring under the hood and a mouse trap set inside the car (just in case) in the hopes of discouraging any further infestation.

Mark_Annap_MD

Reaction score
Update. Was able to get most of the wires back together with just some busted knuckles. With the help of a friend we were able to reach a reasonable conclusion that the diagram on page 8W-15-2 is correct and all four of the black wires are grounds, going to the same ground. Spliced those back together and it is back to life, at least for now. There were 16 wires that had been chewed through in all. Only thing that doesn't work right now is the washer fluid because apparently they chewed through the hose from the tank to the windshield, will track that down later. Thanks for the help. And if it helps anyone else that connector behind the master cylinder is for the PCM and the data link connector, the four black wires are the grounds for those two units.