Torque Management Request Mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I have done this on other vehicles from Chrysler, and noticed that this TCM also has the same Torque MGT Request line. I know what it does, and what it is for. With the signal removed (with a switch), the transmissions shift a little harder, and do not have that hiccup just before they shift. That hick up is the auto backing off of the throttle, just before the shift occurs. With this disabled, you get a good solid shift.

Now, since these Transmissions were REDESIGNED by Mercedes, can they handle the mod, better than the Chrysler MFRed ones? Using a cooler always helps with these types of mods, and my Avenger was fine at 145,000 miles, with the mods I had done, this being one of them. I got a nice (to me) instant up-shift that was solid.

Will this Jeep be able to handle the mod, and has this been discussed here before? I searched on "Torque Management" and got five subjects, none that addressed this specific modification.

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be more interesting if we knew which Jeep you're referring to? Also which Chrysler products on which you have improved performance by cutting the TMR line? And, which transmissions were supposedly 'redesigned' by Mercedes?

Inquiring minds need to know...............

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can flash the computer [B&G flash] to have the Torque management removed. Much safer than phyically altering a hard line.

KY Liberty from L.O.S.T. would be the one to say if this is a good idea since he's been driving with the torque managment turned off for quite a while.

To me, it doesn't seem worth it.. But thats only my tiny opinion.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Be more interesting if we knew which Jeep you're referring to? Also which Chrysler products on which you have improved performance by cutting the TMR line? And, which transmissions were supposedly 'redesigned' by Mercedes?

Inquiring minds need to know...............

I have done this on other vehicles from Chrysler, and noticed that this TCM also has the same Torque MGT Request line. I know what it does, and what it is for. With the signal removed (with a switch), the transmissions shift a little harder, and do not have that hiccup just before they shift. That hick up is the auto backing off of the throttle, just before the shift occurs. With this disabled, you get a good solid shift.

Now, since these Transmissions were REDESIGNED by Mercedes, can they handle the mod, better than the Chrysler MFRed ones? Using a cooler always helps with these types of mods, and my Avenger was fine at 145,000 miles, with the mods I had done, this being one of them. I got a nice (to me) instant up-shift that was solid.

Will this Jeep be able to handle the mod, and has this been discussed here before? I searched on "Torque Management" and got five subjects, none that addressed this specific modification.

Since I am posting in a Liberty forum, and I said THESE and THIS, I know it is difficult to follow.... I also insinuated I did it with my Avenger. All questions you just asked WERE answered, vaguely I guess...

Interrupting the TQM hard line would be essentially the same as taking it out of the programming. The only difference is, the data is still present, but not being read or acknowledged. The advantage is being able to turn it back ON when you want. If you cut a water line, the house gets no water, even though it is capable of flowing. Same as just removing the water all together, in either case, the house gets no water...

By the way, I was told by a member here, these transmissions were redesigned by Mercedes, as was the 3.7 engine.

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, somehow we're supposed to know which of the half-dozen or so Mitsubishi-based and one VW-based Avengers you had, and which of the several engines, and which of the half-dozen or so available transmissions, along with which had ABS and which did not, and which you modified (your use of the plural "other vehicles" hinted that you had modified more than one)?

Your correctly filled-out sig allows answers specific to your platform, instead of wag-answers - non-specifically, modifying the TMR line has greater effect with the ABS version, as it is used for the ESP function - you're likely not to see much effect with the RWAL or non-abs version - either way, the CEL will prevent passing any federally-mandated DOT state inspection, so possibly the aftermarket reflash is your answer - DCJ had a recall TSB to correct off-road hassles with ESP, which utilizes the TMR buss, but uninformed messin' around with it will still get the DTC and usually the CEL

Last edited:

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
All to 2000 V6 Avengers were 2.5 Mistubishi, so there is no "which of the half-dozen or so Mitsubishi-based and one VW-based Avengers you had." to worry about. I have posted in here before, 2000 Avenger ES, plus all, even I4, used the A604, so yeah, you should know with some basic knowledge of Dodge, if you want to quote the half dozen or the other routine... The Avenger that was released after the discontinued one in 2000 *****, I would never buy one of those.

Whatever, TQM is TQM no matter how you look at it... No need to get all worked up over it...

Properly filled out SIG? So, I need to list ALL my cars in there? Got 5 minutes to read?

Ok, with the CEL on and NOT passing? That's not entirely true. I watched a guy inspect a Ford Explorer, and could not get code data to the emissions machine. There was a HARNESS FAILURE. They had to pass the vehicle, with the CEL on, because nothing could be retrieved through the data port. YES, I stood there and watched it happen. There is a loop-hole there, since the machine can't determine the failure, it can't justify a failure in emissions overall.

I know how to turn the CEL off for 4 days, before it comes back on. TQM is not emissions related, so would not fail after code testing & resetting it, then test again while everything is still HOT, and on. I know ALL the tricks of the trade... I ran my Avenger without an EGR system for 4 years, never failed emissions testing, not once (shows you how full of CRAP this emissions testing is). I had a Bad EGR valve, would stay slightly open, and lost vacuum at idle, and would stall or studder. Capping the vacuum line to the valve, did the trick. I used one of those vacuum line gel caps on the nozzle of the intake plenum, then put the vacuum hose back on, which is over top of the cap, looked just fine... So a VISUAL passes, but no one hardly EVERY looks at the emissions systems. The CEL would come on for EGR failure, then I would just LEAVE it on. Every 40 or 50 key cycles, it reset anyway. However, if it WAS on? Two days before my testing, I reset the ECM, took it in two days later, it passed EVERY TIME... CEL? Means nothing to me, I know how to deal with that...

Emissions is a crock, just a way to funnel money to the state. It should only need to be checked at 80K miles, and other times, ONLY if the CEL is on when you get it inspected, and tests for emissions failure. Other than that, there is no reason to do it every single year. If they simply go by CEL indication that there is a failure, and you can modify your system and STILL keep the CEL off, then there must not be a problem, as ALL readings are within tolerance...

Last edited:

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.......this is reminiscent of trying to get information from a recalcitrant female, so, rather than also trying to determine gender, the generic information relevant to the overall DCJ product lines (no Fords allowed, here, eh...) is in the above ^ post - maybe someone else would be willing to expand on it without knowing specific Jeep and year model, ever so important to a specific answer -

bu'bye, now....................

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All to 2000 V6 Avengers were 2.5 Mistubishi, so there is no "which of the half-dozen or so Mitsubishi-based and one VW-based Avengers you had." to worry about. I have posted in here before, 2000 Avenger ES, plus all, even I4, used the A604, so yeah, you should know with some basic knowledge of Dodge, if you want to quote the half dozen or the other routine... The Avenger that was released after the discontinued one in 2000 *****, I would never buy one of those.

Whatever, TQM is TQM no matter how you look at it... No need to get all worked up over it...

Properly filled out SIG? So, I need to list ALL my cars in there? Got 5 minutes to read?

Ok, with the CEL on and NOT passing? That's not entirely true. I watched a guy inspect a Ford Explorer, and could not get code data to the emissions machine. There was a HARNESS FAILURE. They had to pass the vehicle, with the CEL on, because nothing could be retrieved through the data port. YES, I stood there and watched it happen. There is a loop-hole there, since the machine can't determine the failure, it can't justify a failure in emissions overall.

I know how to turn the CEL off for 4 days, before it comes back on. TQM is not emissions related, so would not fail after code testing & resetting it, then test again while everything is still HOT, and on. I know ALL the tricks of the trade... I ran my Avenger without an EGR system for 4 years, never failed emissions testing, not once (shows you how full of CRAP this emissions testing is). I had a Bad EGR valve, would stay slightly open, and lost vacuum at idle, and would stall or studder. Capping the vacuum line to the valve, did the trick. I used one of those vacuum line gel caps on the nozzle of the intake plenum, then put the vacuum hose back on, which is over top of the cap, looked just fine... So a VISUAL passes, but no one hardly EVERY looks at the emissions systems. The CEL would come on for EGR failure, then I would just LEAVE it on. Every 40 or 50 key cycles, it reset anyway. However, if it WAS on? Two days before my testing, I reset the ECM, took it in two days later, it passed EVERY TIME... CEL? Means nothing to me, I know how to deal with that...

Emissions is a crock, just a way to funnel money to the state. It should only need to be checked at 80K miles, and other times, ONLY if the CEL is on when you get it inspected, and tests for emissions failure. Other than that, there is no reason to do it every single year. If they simply go by CEL indication that there is a failure, and you can modify your system and STILL keep the CEL off, then there must not be a problem, as ALL readings are within tolerance...
You do know that 90% of the time when the MIL comes on it may not be for emissions or emission components,The PCM/TCM monitors much more then emissions.

To the original topic,get in touch with B&G and see if they can even to a TM delete on a 42RLE.They can for a 45RFE,you will need another TCM(in your case the PCM) to ship to them that has your VIN programmed on it already(dealer only),or you just go without the KJ while they program it.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm.......this is reminiscent of trying to get information from a recalcitrant female, so, rather than also trying to determine gender, the generic information relevant to the overall DCJ product lines (no Fords allowed, here, eh...) is in the above ^ post - maybe someone else would be willing to expand on it without knowing specific Jeep and year model, ever so important to a specific answer -

bu'bye, now....................

Doesn't matter what Auto, the TQM does the same thing on ALL Chrysler vehicles, this is a JEEP forum, so one would think I have a Jeep. In fact, I said it in other posts... I will do what I will do, If I can, I just will delete this post, since it seems to have cause a lot of damage to people's minds...

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek::eek::eek:
Doesn't matter what Auto, the TQM does the same thing on ALL Chrysler vehicles, this is a JEEP forum, so one would think I have a Jeep. In fact, I said it in other posts... I will do what I will do, If I can, I just will delete this post, since it seems to have cause a lot of damage to people's minds...
:eek::eek::eek:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard that works pretty well as a free mod, however I would go the route of a Transgo Reprogramming Kit.

http://apsprecision.com/45RFE%20Shift%20Kit/45_545RFE%20Instructions.pdf

They're not that expensive, and make a big difference on the 45RFE. An aggressive flash with TM delete from B&G makes a big difference too. You will want to skip the part about connecting pin 1 and 3 if you are getting the flash.

http://www.bgperformancepcm.com/#jeep

The stock torque converter is also junk. You can talk to Wayne at APS Precision to fix that.

http://apsprecision.com/

If you have a 45RFE and do all these mods you will love it. If you've gone to bigger tires go to some 4.10's along with it. It drives extremely differently.:)

Back-n-Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ky is this the shift kit your talking about?
TRNS-0045P APS 45/545RFE Performance Shift Kit - Fits 1999+ 45/545RFE Transmissions

Latest posts

Members online