Today's Cry for Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How the heck do I remove the plastic steering-wheel column cover? I see the two slots from below... But a Phillips doesn't seem to fit... And the smallest socket is too big. Help!

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing it's a Torx head. I don't remember the exact number, but I'm thinking it's either a 10 or a 20. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

How the heck do I remove the plastic steering-wheel column cover? I see the two slots from below... But a Phillips doesn't seem to fit... And the smallest socket is too big. Help!

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Torx... I should have known with the other torx screws in the Liberty. You are my hero... Fit, out, done. Thanks!!!

I'm guessing it's a Torx head. I don't remember the exact number, but I'm thinking it's either a 10 or a 20. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you installing/fixing?

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beware of the airbag, you could set it off.
I believe the service manual recommends removing the battery and waiting for a 1/2 hour or so before attempting repairs.
At least that's what I think, I've never attempted the repair before.

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You caught me! I've posted a few requests for help for one root problem... A SQUEAK! Been about two weeks now... I'm stripped down to the firewall inside and all the wiper-gear is removed on the outside. Still have the squeak. Yesterday's isolation took me to the brake-light switch. A test-drive today will tell-all. :pp:

What are you installing/fixing?

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wasn't the brake-light switch. Background: Bought the Liberty this summer with no squeak... Only started when the temperature drops below 30 or so. First thing this AM I heard the squeak. As the temperature got in the 40's it stopped.

I have the dash out sitting all over my garage floor.

Any ideas... Help?

You caught me! I've posted a few requests for help for one root problem... A SQUEAK! Been about two weeks now... I'm stripped down to the firewall inside and all the wiper-gear is removed on the outside. Still have the squeak. Yesterday's isolation took me to the brake-light switch. A test-drive today will tell-all. :pp:

Nooby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you sure it's not from under, sway bar bushings?

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beware of the airbag, you could set it off.
I believe the service manual recommends removing the battery and waiting for a 1/2 hour or so before attempting repairs.
At least that's what I think, I've never attempted the repair before.

Doh, I thought you meant the steering wheel cover that the horn & airbag are contained within.

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too funny! I have that sound too... Just not ready to address it yet. As it only happens on bumps in the cold occasionally. Expensive to repair???

Additional information: My squeak can be recreated sitting in the driveway, running, usually best in gear. My ear seems to think its coming from the area of the instrument cluster (Of which I have removed).

It appears that all (or most) KJs squeak on the front end thanks to the sway bar bushings. Does yours sound like mine? http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47400

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score

clapperc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might you or someone have a picture of what and where I need to oil? (Since after 20 hours... I haven't found the interior squeak!) (banghead)

Huh, I'm hearing the same noise but thought it was my failing shocks. Tomorrow I'll crawl under my Libby and see what's involved with lubricating/replacing my sway bar bushings.

Latest posts

Members online