Removing glass from KK window regulator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brokencop

Reaction score
Hoping to find some info on removing the glass from the passenger front window regulator on my KK. I have run across explanations but see many vary. Most that I have seen show the plastic retainer with a slot to fit a standard screwdriver head in with instructions to press inward while lifting on the glass. On my Jeep that plastic piece has a much smaller slot that has a little black plastic button in it. I pushed in on that button with a very small screwdriver and managed only to push it through the slot.
I am hoping to find reliable instructions and even better, a pick of the plastic piece that needs to be pushed in?

badair

Reaction score
Correct, just push in the plastic retaining finger thing. In order to access the retainer, you'll have to keep the battery connected and reconnect the window control. There is an access hole in the door panel (usually covered up with round piece of what looks like electrical tape). Once you have the retainer aligned with the hole you just push the retainer. I try to be as careful as possible, so I dont accidently break the glass if the screw driver slips.

I'll be working on the driver side later today, doing same thing. I'll take a pic and upload it when I'm back at the computer

Brokencop

Reaction score
Correct, just push in the plastic retaining finger thing. In order to access the retainer, you'll have to keep the battery connected and reconnect the window control. There is an access hole in the door panel (usually covered up with round piece of what looks like electrical tape). Once you have the retainer aligned with the hole you just push the retainer. I try to be as careful as possible, so I dont accidently break the glass if the screw driver slips.

I'll be working on the driver side later today, doing same thing. I'll take a pic and upload it when I'm back at the computer
Greatly appreciated. I have seen photo's of that plastic retainer, however mine looks deferent. I am attaching a photo of mine. The slot above the little slot runs the length of that plastic piece. I even ran across some instructions saying to press that tab outwards while most say push in. Like you said, I hate for force anything out of fear of breaking the glass.
Thanks for the reply!

Attachments

• 1000001243.jpg
    1000001243.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 2

badair

Reaction score
from the pic, it looks like you still need to drop the window down a little bit. You should be able to see the round opening in the glass and the plastic retainer that is holding the glass.

As for pushing the retainer in/out, people are saying basically the same thing. There's only 1 direction you can push.

Hope this helps until I can send a pic

badair

Reaction score
Attached 3 pics:
1st is what the retainer looks like while everything is still together and the view is looking through the access hole.

2nd is what the retainer looks like after glass is disconnectected and looking at the retainer from the back side of the door panel

3rd is what the hole in the glass looks like with the door panel removed

to remove the panel:
There are several 10mm bolts holding the panel
There are 3 torx around the door locking
There is 1 torx higher up (closer to the door handle)
There is 1 10mm nut that is behind plastic cover, you'll need a 6" or so extention to reach it. CAUTION you must loosen this nut 10-12 turns BEFORE you start removing the panel. Otherwise you will break the lock assembly molding. I should have taken a pic of this for you too. Sorry. I do have something I have to fix on my KK rear passenger panel. I'll take a pic and add it here when I get back to working on it.

Attachments

• glass-still-installed.jpg
    glass-still-installed.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 3
  • retainer-glass-uninstalled.jpg
    retainer-glass-uninstalled.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 3
  • glass-retainer-uninstalled.jpg
    glass-retainer-uninstalled.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 3

Brokencop

Reaction score
Attached 3 pics:
1st is what the retainer looks like while everything is still together and the view is looking through the access hole.

2nd is what the retainer looks like after glass is disconnectected and looking at the retainer from the back side of the door panel

3rd is what the hole in the glass looks like with the door panel removed

to remove the panel:
There are several 10mm bolts holding the panel
There are 3 torx around the door locking
There is 1 torx higher up (closer to the door handle)
There is 1 10mm nut that is behind plastic cover, you'll need a 6" or so extention to reach it. CAUTION you must loosen this nut 10-12 turns BEFORE you start removing the panel. Otherwise you will break the lock assembly molding. I should have taken a pic of this for you too. Sorry. I do have something I have to fix on my KK rear passenger panel. I'll take a pic and add it here when I get back to working on it.
This really helps a lot. I can see now that I haven't lowered with window enough. Other pictures I have seen make the hole look more like a piece of plastic.
Thanks again for your help!

badair

Reaction score
Here's those pics.
1st one is the cover
2nd one is the 10mm nut that you MUST loose. Note, you don't have to remove the nut. If you end up loosening it too much and it falls off, its no big deal.

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 10mm-nut.jpg
    10mm-nut.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 5

Brokencop

Reaction score
Thanks once again! I did a window regulator on my son's KJ a couple months ago and it was a piece of cake. This KK regulator is much more involved.