tires and more

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been doing a little reading on here to get the general idea of how things work with the kj's so just bear with me if Im a bit off track. I have a stock 06 kj 65th anniversary edition and plan on doing some slight improvements here and there. I have measured my hub to fender lip at 18.625" front and 18.75" rear. So if Im correct that's .375" sag up front .25' rear which doesn't seem too bad for the year. Would i benefit much from say a 2.5" spacer lift to fit a bit bigger tire or would i just be accelerating the rate at which they sag? Im wanting to go up to a 245-70r16 or maybe a tad bigger to open up more tire choices but do not want them to fit now only to have them start rubbing a few months down the road due to increased sag

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay away from spacer kits as they will sag your springs and destroy your shocks. (based on accounts from this site and many others) 245-70-16 is ok on stock but you may have to do a clevis lift/and or spacer plate up front to prevent rubbing. I had to do a little plastic molding to get mine to fit when I was stock. I would say save up for the full spring lift with shocks unless your tires are bald.

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is a good spring and shock lift to look into without going over 2.5"? Im not wanting a massive jacked up rig like Im use to just a good dd that can get me home reliably everyday( i live a good ways out In the sticks with some pretty rough roads) but will allow for a more common tire size than stock
around here 225-75r16 is a very oddball size without ordering. Most common around here are 265's but id doubt they would fit even with a 2.5" lift

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also what is a clevis lift? I've lifted several vehicles but most were solid front axles with leaves or ttb f250's( i designed a killer 12" lift for those bad boys that works really good)

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are a few options for lifts. Check out the KJ lift kit discussion section and especially this thread.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f203/lift-faq-read-before-asking-questions-47137/

For a clevis lift I will help define it a little better. I have attached a photo. The white arrow indicates the clevis bracket with the bolt in it. To do a clevis lift you add conduit washers (0.375" total) between the bracket and the "strut". This will give about 0.75" of lift in the front.

If anyone else can chime in to verify all my info is correct I would appreciate it. And that's my old setup... I am glad I don't have that anymore haha.

Attachments

• IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not correct information sorry but.....
3/8 inch clevis will give you 3/4 inch lift not an inch to get an inch height out of just a clevis you'd have to do 1/2 inch clevis which is not a good idea

To the OP
READ,..........
its all been hashed out before
but go to jeepinbyal
Ironman full spring lift will get you 2.25-2.5 inches of lift over new stock height
OME will do the same
either ride and handle 100 times better than it did new
and 265-75-16s take 4 inches of lift and a regear to 4.10s

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mudd! I thought it sounded a bit much.

Sent from my iPhone using Peanut Butter

Latest posts

Members online