Tire Psi Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeepkj04blue

Reaction score
I have 2004 Jeep liberty with BfGoodrich All terrains Lt225.....I was wondering what psi i should run the tire saids max 50 psi...right now its a 30......but i feel this is too low..would it be ok to run 38-44...Please help!!!

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
I got Yokohama A/T-S! I run 50pounds in them on the road bc i do often pull loaded trailer! But offroad i've started to drop to 20pounds tho!

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Well my door says 215........? But came off the line with 235/65.......? Its best to run what the tires say!

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When tires are cold - raise to max pressure - draw chalk like across tire - drive forward 4-5 wheel revolutions, inspect chalk - if it's worn from the center - but visible on edges - lower pressure - repeat chalk/inspect until chalk mark disappears all the way across the tire at the same time. Record pressure and keep it there.
if you go too low the chalk on the edge of the tire will wear first - increase pressure.
if both outside edges - or both inside edges wear first - get tires aligned.

Never go below the recommended pressure (my door says 33psi) unless you're slow speed wheeling - the tire will overheat and probably blow.

Last edited:

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my door says 215........? But came off the line with 235/65.......? Its best to run what the tires say!

No it is not. The tires say the max psi it can handle. I have load range E tires that say max 80psi. I am sure as hell not going to be driving around at 80psi. Going by the placard on the door jamb, the stated PSI will work for any size tire you can fit on a libby, lifted or not, bigger tires or not; with certain exceptions, towing, etc.

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, Do you really think i would run 80pounds? Hell no, Just use your brain! But i be damned if i cant do a f!cking thang on this forum without gettin kicked for it!!!!!! :mad:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
YOU NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER run what the tire says on the sidewall unless you ALWAYS run FULLY LOADED to the tire's maximum capacity.

For these 225/75-16s ThunderbirdJunkie would recommend 35-38 psi.

Anything more you are sacrificing traction and tire life.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, Do you really think i would run 80pounds? Hell no, Just use your brain! But i be damned if i cant do a f!cking thang on this forum without gettin kicked for it!!!!!! :mad:

I got no problem with you, you just stated something that I personally don't find to be true. I stated what I believe to be true, used and example to solidify my point, and that is all. It's cool homie, no need to get angry.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score

Maybe if you adjusted your attitude and didn't get angry at everything...

Just sayin.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes it seems like you do, and that may be the problem...a simple misunderstanding.

But this is not the thread for that.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score

He is not expressing an opinion. He is trying to help you understand something that you seem to have missed.

Max Pressure (on the tire) and recommended pressure (on the placard) are completely different and not knowing the difference btwn the two can be dangerous to say the least.

If you are filling your tires to the Max pressure indicated on the tire, within a few minutes of driving you would already be exceeding the safe max pressure for that tire as the air warms and expands.

P.S. !!!!!! .... This many exclamation points and an angry smiley face are usually good indications of anger....

Last edited:

Jeepkj04blue

Reaction score
Thanks for the Help guys...I think I know what i should do...=)...Fill the tires up to 40 psi....they said the placards are for Oem tires That came with it..so i think 32 to 40 is Good psi's.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never go below the recommended pressure (my door says 33psi) unless you're slow speed wheeling - the tire will overheat and probably blow.
Not true,I run 26-28 psi and no fear of a blowout,then again my tires only have a 35psi max psi rating(2600lbs weight rating at 35psi).

The door jam psi is for the OEM "P" rated tires only,adding "C"/"D"/"E" rated tires requires a different psi,a slighly higher psi for "D" and "E" tires and a little lower for "C" rated tires.I found with "E" rated 245/75's the best was 38psi for wear and ride,43psi for 265/75 "D" rated tires was the best.