Tire Psi Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
YOU NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER run what the tire says on the sidewall unless you ALWAYS run FULLY LOADED to the tire's maximum capacity.

For these 225/75-16s ThunderbirdJunkie would recommend 35-38 psi.

Anything more you are sacrificing traction and tire life.

When I was young and foolish and had my first car I remember making the same mistake of running at the tire's maximum tire pressure. :eek:

I know of the chalk trick but I've never gotten around to trying it. Even though they aren't the stock tires I run my LT245/75R16 AT's at 33 PSI. They haven't yet shown any signs of bad tread wear and handle well.

While on the trails with my Liberty I don't air down simply because I need every inch of ground clearance I can get. Plus it saves me the bother of airing down & up. I have a YJ too with 33" tall tires and lots of ground clearance that I've aired down as low as 10 PSI. Of course I wouldn't drive the YJ at highway speeds at that pressure. The tire's sidewalls would blow out.

flair1111

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive always ran mine 5lbs below what it says on the tire for the last 20 years of driving. ive never had a tire wear uneven. am i correct in this or am i missing something. ive done this with all vehicles ive ever owned.