Thumping in the rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trichard310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I can hear a thumping or clanking sound coming from the rear when I go over bumps or cracks in the road. It's most noticeable between 10-25 mph. Anyone ever hear of this before? I've gone through the rear of the vehicle with a fine tooth comb and nothing?:confused: It almost sound like its coming from the tailgate but its hard to pen-point! Please help, very annoying!

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
you need to secure the ductape and wrist binds on your "special passenger"

Is your spare tightened down all the way?

Jeep-I-Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Memphis, TN where there is more mud than mounta
When I bought my Libby I had a thump in the back when I turned or went over bumps. Changing my rear differential fluid took care of the problem. If this is it, I know what you're talking about. I though it was a bushing or something was loose and shifting. If you haven't changed the fliud, it would be good to anyway.

JeepinJarhead03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cut a piece of rag or something and lay it over the door jamb and close the gate and drive it again, to tighten up the door to see if it's just the door needing adjusting

check that your rear shock bolts are tight too

trichard310

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spare tire is solid! Def. not coming from the rear diff! Shock bolts tight! What is a 'tri link'?:confused: I'll try the rag in the door trick and see! anymore thoughts out their?

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Loose exhaust ? Maybe one of the rubber exhaust hangers has given up? Rear seat catch rattle? Try folding the rear seats down and see if the noise disappears? Animal stuck in wheel arch? It happens believe me!! :D