Thump when coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a weird, noticeable thump when the jeep comes to a stop. I'm not sure how to explain when it happens, but it's like the split second the jeep settles back after coming to a complete stop. You can even kind of feel it as well...maybe bad differential mounts, or something to do with brakes? It doesn't happen all the time, maybe 60% or so.
I have a 03 sport if that helps. I'm not very familiar with it yet so any feedback would help.
Thanks!!

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our Ford Ranger does that. We've had it checked out and I don't remember what they said it was, but it wasn't something that was going to cause problems. I think part of it might have to do with the automatic transmission and being in drive--the vehicle wants to move forward but the brakes prevent it, so you get that thump. Does it feel like it's trying to drive forward for that split second after stopping?

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no, it doesn't feel like it wants to move...it feels more like the back end is settling into a groove or slipping down into a crack...kind of hard to explain lol. If anything the movement feels more reverse than forward.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay. i haven't noticed the abruptness of the stops when it happens...I'll pay more attention to it though...but if no one thinks it's a major issue that makes me have one less thing to worry about.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay. i haven't noticed the abruptness of the stops when it happens...I'll pay more attention to it though...but if no one thinks it's a major issue that makes me have one less thing to worry about.

I believe you're describing the quirkiness of the 42RLE. This type of behavior has been discussed in other threads. Mine did this from the day I drove it off the lot. The 42rle is a rough shifter and seems to have trouble 'finding itself' during deceleration or sudden acceleration.

I've always felt that it's something I can live with, as long as its not a sign of imminent failure.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, good to know its not just mine and that it's nothing that will cause it to break down any random time.
Thanks for the feedback!!

Sidewinder

Reaction score
My 05 CRD does this. When you stop it settles or feels like the diff unloads a little when you first start moving again. I was wondering if the rear ball joint was going bad. Does anyone know if they make a rear tri-link bar that performs better with a better ball joint? I have seen several improved better then stock front control arm sets with better ball joints. I would rather replace the ehole bar with something better then just swap out the stock part for something that will fall apart in another 40K miles. Stock = (blarg)

Andynator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get this also when I ease to a stop and sit at the light. As soon as the light goes green and I take my foot off the brake, "thump". It's like the torque converter isn't completely unloading.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That thump is the transmission shifting into 1st gear,sometimes you get a thump from the built up tension when it is trying to downshift.My '02 with the 45RFE does it sometimes when I'm rather ******* my brakes coming to a stop.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's funny that everyone's "thump" is different...some when they start to go again and some when they come to rest. Mine is when it comes to rest...not once I hit the gas...so still no idea why, just that it isn't a problem...I hope.

~Mark

Reaction score
My '02 did the same, as described by tjkj2002, from the day I got it (I think..). It also did something else : when shifting into gear from Park or Neutral, it would emit a rapid succession of "clicks" before it engaged, for maybe a second or so. I first heard that when leaving the drive-thru window at McDonalds with the window open..lol. 60K miles on it and it never broke or got worse.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That thump is the transmission shifting into 1st gear,sometimes you get a thump from the built up tension when it is trying to downshift.My '02 with the 45RFE does it sometimes when I'm rather ******* my brakes coming to a stop.

Hmm, that's interesting. I noticed my "thump" the more gently and slowly I decelerated. It seemed that when I was coming to a very gradual stop that the transmission hadn't unloaded the torque (previous poster noted this) and it kind of thumped to a stop.

It seems that when I drive with more vigor, quicker starts, more assertive stops, my transmission seems to behave a little better.

Just my observation.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '02 did the same, as described by tjkj2002, from the day I got it (I think..). It also did something else : when shifting into gear from Park or Neutral, it would emit a rapid succession of "clicks" before it engaged, for maybe a second or so. I first heard that when leaving the drive-thru window at McDonalds with the window open..lol. 60K miles on it and it never broke or got worse.
That rapid clicking is the shift soliniods and is normal,they are supposed to do that.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How loud should that rapid clicking be? I noticed it the other day and made me think of this post again. Same symptoms as ~Mark. It was pretty loud...I don't think it happens all the time, but I've heard it several times in the past few months on and off.

nzoliver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,
My clicking is reasonably loud. 52000km and all's well.
The thumping is the same as all you guys. :eek: I think it may be a little to do with the top ball joint. Does that make any sense?

Oliver :rolleyes:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That clicking is something that i never really noticed until you guys talked about it, and the reason is we have owned other Dodge/Chrysler vehicles and after a while you just get used to it i guess and don't notice it. Our Dodge Caravan we used to have had that same distinct noise, its the solenoids in the trans. My Jeep does it to, just reminds me of the van we used to have. That van went to 215,000 miles before i got rid of it, and that trans never had a problem.

My 03' Sport does that same thump when slowing down to come to a stop, if its going to do it i know exactly when as its always when it drops into first gear. I thought it was that rear ball joint so when i was under there putting the hitch on it last week i checked it and its nice and tight, not much play, seems fine to me. So then i did some experimenting, when up to speed i can shift the transfer case into neutral before braking, then no thump because the trans is disconnected from the drivetrain, but with it back in 2HI i can speed back up and slow back down again and there is the thump when it shifts to first gear. It's just one of the KJ's quirks, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. I notice it more when i have the AC on, i think thats because the ECM increases the engine speed to handle the load of the compressor, maybe? I know our PT Cruiser will idle a bit faster when you kick on the AC.

Anyway, i'm not too worried about it anymore.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it's good to hear it's one less thing to worry about. My fiance loves her jeep and every weird noise, sound or feeling she gets freaked out about.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah i hear ya bud... I'm like that too when i get something new. I'm still getting used to the Jeep's quirks.