Thump when coming to a stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mangate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's had the thump from new too, like someone else said there are other threads on this subject. It feels like someone ran in to you when you stop.

Boiler

Reaction score
My '02 did the same, as described by tjkj2002, from the day I got it (I think..). It also did something else : when shifting into gear from Park or Neutral, it would emit a rapid succession of "clicks" before it engaged, for maybe a second or so. I first heard that when leaving the drive-thru window at McDonalds with the window open..lol. 60K miles on it and it never broke or got worse.

Don't go through fast food drive thru's. I swear every time my car scares me it is when I'm starting, stopping, creeping, and shifting, all up against that wall that acts like a soundboard. That's where I discovered my solenoid clicks too. Can always hear every brake squeak there too. Besides having the soundboard wall there, you've got your radio turned down, as well as your windows open. It's a perfect storm!

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't go through fast food drive thru's. I swear every time my car scares me it is when I'm starting, stopping, creeping, and shifting, all up against that wall that acts like a soundboard. That's where I discovered my solenoid clicks too. Can always hear every brake squeak there too. Besides having the soundboard wall there, you've got your radio turned down, as well as your windows open. It's a perfect storm!

Yeah no kidding!! I took the wife's car through a drive-through and thats when i realized the power steering pump noise was horrible in the winter. I sucked out he reservoir with a syringe and tubing and put in fresh fluid and the noise went away. It was my excuse to go through the BK a week later, told her i wanted to hear it after the repair.. lol

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all......my 06 sport does this also. I also had an 03 ranger.......did the same thing like the other guy with the ranger said. Had the ranger to the dealer....they reaplaced the driveshaft on it. Fixed the problem, for it to come back miles later. It is the slip yoke in the driveshaft.......won't hurt a thing they say, just need some lubrication (grease) in there. My Jeep bump feels identical to the Ranger. Like it is settling or releasing tension.....hope this helps KEn

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all......my 06 sport does this also. I also had an 03 ranger.......did the same thing like the other guy with the ranger said. Had the ranger to the dealer....they reaplaced the driveshaft on it. Fixed the problem, for it to come back miles later. It is the slip yoke in the driveshaft.......won't hurt a thing they say, just need some lubrication (grease) in there. My Jeep bump feels identical to the Ranger. Like it is settling or releasing tension.....hope this helps KEn

Yeah i think its just one of those normal things we need to get used to. After a week of driving it i hardly notice it anymore just seems normal.

Latest posts

Members online