Thinking of buying a 02

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZombieKJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I have always wanted a jeep. Originally wanted a wrangler but I like the 2 doors. We are a family of 5 and the 2 doors only seat 4. Plus wranglers are so expensive even used, it's just not in my budget. So needless to say the wrangler is not an option. I happen to be out looking over the weekend. I came across a 02 Jeep Liberty sport, 4WD, 3.7 automatic at a local Jeep dealership. Looks clean, it's a local trade. I don't see any body rust. It has 79,000 miles on it. It's a one owner, the carfax shows no accidents and a few maintenance records, but not many. They are asking $7,000. I was able to get the dealer to agree to a price of $6,000 on the road that price includes all fees. Wondering everyones thoughts on the price, does that seem high? I live in Maryland if that helps gauge the pricing better. Also wondering about reliability so any input you have would be greatly appreciated. I can't decide if I should pull the trigger. I've been looking for a basic SUV that I can keep for a long time, that won't take me broke with repair cost. I'm wondering if this Jeep could be what I've been looking for.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I have always wanted a jeep. Originally wanted a wrangler but I like the 2 doors. We are a family of 5 and the 2 doors only seat 4. Plus wranglers are so expensive even used, it's just not in my budget. So needless to say the wrangler is not an option. I happen to be out looking over the weekend. I came across a 02 Jeep Liberty sport, 4WD, 3.7 automatic at a local Jeep dealership. Looks clean, it's a local trade. I don't see any body rust. It has 79,000 miles on it. It's a one owner, the carfax shows no accidents and a few maintenance records, but not many. They are asking $7,000. I was able to get the dealer to agree to a price of $6,000 on the road that price includes all fees. Wondering everyones thoughts on the price, does that seem high? I live in Maryland if that helps gauge the pricing better. Also wondering about reliability so any input you have would be greatly appreciated. I can't decide if I should pull the trigger. I've been looking for a basic SUV that I can keep for a long time, that won't take me broke with repair cost. I'm wondering if this Jeep could be what I've been looking for.

$6,000 for a 15 year old Jeep? You're kidding, right? :Insane:

Wouldn't pay more then 3...MAYBE 4 grand for it if it's THAT clean.

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got one for ya in toledo ;) clean too!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

over a year and a half ago I bought an 03 , one owner , 79,000 miles, garage kept, all service records with it , no rust at all for less than 4000.
That included all taxes, title work, temp tag out the door.
I'd hit them lower, 6000 is still too much even if its a Limited etc.
They wanted 6995 for the one I bought, I just laughed:happy175:

sparky123321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid $6K for my 02 Sport about 6 months ago, but it was a 1 owner and only had 11,700 miles.

I agree that around $4K sounds more like what it's worth.

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, No, No and No...

They are asking $7,000...

No, No, No and No... that's way too much!
I just bought a 2006 Sport, one-owner, great CarFax, in like-new condition for less than that, plus it has the Off Road Group, the Skid Plate Group, and the Trailer Tow Group.
Put your Jeep's specs in the car pricing sites, Edmunds, KBB, NADA, etc., and see what the average Dealer ask is before you make an offer.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, No, No and No... that's way too much!
I just bought a 2006 Sport in like-new condition for less than that, plus it has the Off Road Group, the Skid Plate Group, and the Trailer Tow Group.
Put your Jeep's specs in the major car pricing sites, Edmunds, NADA, etc., and see what the average Dealer ask is before you make an offer.

Believe it or not, 6 grand is the top of the Dealer "fair price range" on KBB. At least in my area (North NJ)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Believe it or not, 6 grand is the top of the Dealer "fair price range" on KBB. At least in my area (North NJ)

Thats what they dream of getting out of it, plus its winter so premium price for it as well, but still.....
Bet ya in 20 minutes I could find enough wrong with it to make them think any price you offer would be fair just to get it off their lot.
All I had to do was make a list on the one I bought
Came up with over 1500 in parts figuring all new parts
( next day with under 150 in parts it was good to go, except for the suspension )
:happy175:

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what they dream of getting out of it, plus its winter so premium price for it as well, but still.....
Bet ya in 20 minutes I could find enough wrong with it to make them think any price you offer would be fair just to get it off their lot.
All I had to do was make a list on the one I bought
Came up with over 1500 in parts figuring all new parts
( next day with under 150 in parts it was good to go, except for the suspension )
:happy175:

Hence I said I wouldn't get it for any more than 3-4 grand, depending.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my 02 I read that at most dealer cost was $1,850. my 02 is really an 01. Thats for a perfect one/near perfect.
(I got the seller down to $1800. but it needed work.)

yea, get a newer one if you can!

oh, for a family of 5, its too small!

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I came across a 02 Jeep Liberty sport, 4WD, 3.7 automatic at a local Jeep dealership. Looks clean, it's a local trade. I don't see any body rust. It has 79,000 miles on it. It's a one owner, the carfax shows no accidents and a few maintenance records, but not many. They are asking $7,000. I was able to get the dealer to agree to a price of $6,000 on the road that price includes all fees. Wondering everyones thoughts on the price, does that seem high? I live in Maryland if that helps gauge the pricing better. Also wondering about reliability so any input you have would be greatly appreciated. I can't decide if I should pull the trigger. I've been looking for a basic SUV that I can keep for a long time, that won't take me broke with repair cost. I'm wondering if this Jeep could be what I've been looking for.

Where in Maryland are you? You've already gotten alot of good info and opinions but from my recent search in Maryland (and close locales) the 6k for an 02 with 79k is not bad if it is very clean. I've seen a few for less but they wouldn't even pass inspection and most had way more miles. I actually just found an 05 limited with 44k on it and it looks immaculate inside, outside and underneath. They started at around 9k and I got it down to 8k due to my mentioning a few things that should be done due to age and a whining PS pump. My 02 is currently getting put back together. It was a great ride for 179k but time and a faulty fan relay finally caught up to her. Never had much problems until that issue. I bought that with over 80k on it back in 07 and drove it like I stole it for almost 100k.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CAREFUL!! Some 2002 parts are already discontinued

ZombieKJ

Reaction score
Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your insight and advice. I agree the price seems high. I had been looking on autotrader and it seemed most under 100,000 miles are listed in the $6,000 range. Most over 100K have a asking price in the 4's or below. KBB has a suggested retail price of $5,593. They list a fair market range between $4,280 and $6,000. It's a base sport model, just has 4WD, auto, fog lights. It doesn't have privacy glass which I found odd but I guess some base models came without it. I didn't see any rust and it looks clean. It does have a damaged rear bumper. Looks like someone backed into something pushing the corner of the plastic bumper in. Searching on autotrader it does seem to be the lowest mileage KJ with in a 100 mile range. Most have 175,000 or more which shows me these things must be durable and long lasting. I've always had Jeep fever but have never owned one. I was hoping this one would be a way into the Jeep family but I think for now I'm going to pass on it. I don't feel like playing the dealer games. I'd want under 4k after hearing from you all. It took forever to get them to 6K. Not sure how I could push them to drop another 2k or more. Thanks for everyone's help though, maybe someday I'll find a Jeep and join you all. You all seem like a great group who really love their Jeeps. Reading your post have made me want one even more. :)

bwflorida

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping this one would be a way into the Jeep family but I think for now I'm going to pass on it.QUOTE]

I think you made the right decision.
It took me about 3 months to find the one I bought, and I'm very glad I waited.
Have you thought about searching a wider radius?
Mine was an hour away from my home.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just saw a dodge Nitro. looks just like a liberty. take a look at them too!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CAREFUL!! Some 2002 parts are already discontinued

For the most part besides some very common parts(aftermarket and remaned market) the '02 KJ is no different then a '05 KJ mechanically.

Body parts they all are discontinued regardless of what year of KJ.

Oh and you all think $6000 for a very low mileage '02 KJ is outrageous you should see what some of the '05/'06 CRD's with 150k+ miles want,some are still asking $15,000+ with 100k and and $12,000 for 150k.Even saw one guy asking $10,000 for one CRD with 220k on the clock.